Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
To this day, I still cannot believe how far Mat Barzal fell in the 2015 draft.

I wanted the Devils to pick him SO BADLY at 6th overall. I remember I was shocked he fell to us. And then when f****ng Conte announced Zacha and Barzal fell all the way to 16, I was just in shock and I thought I was crazy for liking him so much.

At the time, I remember my top 7 draft rankings were
McDavid
Eichel
Marner
Strome
Barzal
Hanifin
Provorov

I also remember I was not high on Werenski at all. He wasn't even in my top 15 I think. Oops

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
To this day, I still cannot believe how far Mat Barzal fell in the 2015 draft.

I wanted the Devils to pick him SO BADLY at 6th overall. I remember I was shocked he fell to us. And then when f****ng Conte announced Zacha and Barzal fell all the way to 16, I was just in shock and I thought I was crazy for liking him so much.

At the time, I remember my top 7 draft rankings were
McDavid
Eichel
Marner
Strome
Barzal
Hanifin
Provorov

I also remember I was not high on Werenski at all. He wasn't even in my top 15 I think. Oops

In the same boat about Barzal but wasn't surprised when he was available at 6. 90+% thought that some combo of Strome-Marner-Hanafin were going 3-5. Wasn't surprised when we passed on him either

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Later round overager thought: LD Grigori Dronov. Russian posters on the prospect board rank him along the lines of Rykov.

Nice call on Dronov. I would certainly take a chance on this kid in 5th round or later. He might be the second-best overaged D available after Valeri Orekhov.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hey Steven.

Have you seen/heard anything of this German defenceman, Moritz Seider?

Moritz Seider at eliteprospects.com

edit; hes huuugeee

Yeah, I'm very high on him. Another defenseman without a discernible weakness in his game: big, strong, mobile and moves the puck well.

In my most recent mock draft (which you can find on this Devils thread) I have him going 21st to Pittsburgh. Seider might be the most NHL-ready D in the 2019 class, he plays a very heady and mature game and certainly has the physique of a grown man. Due to this, I can see him being drafted as swiftly as the early teens, and I cannot see him dropping past the mid-20s.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So just asking... How would you rank Byram compared to the top defensemen of the last few drafts? Is it possible we're overrating him because he's the only game in town? How many #1 defensemen (not just first pairing but true #1) did you see in the last few drafts?

Terrific question.

2018 draft: Dahlin would still be #1 easily, though I would have Byram neck and neck with Quinton Hughes for #2D in the draft.

2017: I would have Byram just a hair above Heiskanen and Makar, but that''s because I am enamored with physicality from a defender. I think it takes opposing forwards off their game. But again, it's close.

2016: My very flawed top 3 D in this draft were (in flawed order) Sergachev, Fabbro, Juolevi. I also spent a huge amount of time lauding USHL prospects Adam Fox and Andrew Peeke. Now I think we can say pretty safely that the most talented D from this class is Charlie McAvoy. Either way, Byram would easily be #1 in 2016.

2015: My top 3 in this draft (and everyone else's) was Hanifin/Werenski/Provorov. I think now we would add Chabot to the conversation. I think I would have Byram just behind Hanifin at the same point in their development, and just ahead of Werenski/Provorov.

2014: Byram would have easily been the top prospect in this entire draft in my eyes, though some would still rank him behind Ekblad based on their size. I'm more of a speed/skill/compete-level guy, though and would give Byram the edge.

2013: I would have ranked Byram just behind Seth Jones in this draft, though appreciably ahead of my next three (Ristolainen/Nurse/Zadorov).

I think this gives you a good idea of where I would have Byram in my rankings. Again (as I keep repeating) I think it's important to weigh my opinions against other draft experts (most of whom are far more accomplished than myself). I have Byram ranked #3 overall behind only Hughes and Kakko. No one else has him this highly ranked. A Corey Pronman or a Kyle Woodlief ranking might come out and not even list Byram as the 2019 draft's top defenseman. But I think history will prove me right on this one. Byram just has so much going for him and literally nothing going against him. Every aspect of his game can significantly be considered a strength. His compete level is off the charts and he seems to raise his game at the most crucial of moments.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
In the same boat about Barzal but wasn't surprised when he was available at 6. 90+% thought that some combo of Strome-Marner-Hanafin were going 3-5. Wasn't surprised when we passed on him either

If it's "Toot Your Own Horn" time, I'd like to mention how much flak I took for ranking Barzal over Strome in a Hockeywriters column.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
But not really within reach with the trash LA and Detroit lineups. They refuse to win.

I think that Ottawa and LA finish as the two worst teams, but I think it's neck-and-neck between Detroit and NJ for the #3 overall slot. So you can say I have become a bit of a Detroit fan in recent weeks, especially considering they also certainly have needs on par with ours for players like Byram and Cozens.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think that Ottawa and LA finish as the two worst teams, but I think it's neck-and-neck between Detroit and NJ for the #3 overall slot. So you can say I have become a bit of a Detroit fan in recent weeks, especially considering they also certainly have needs on par with ours for players like Byram and Cozens.

Can’t forget about Anaheim either. They can easily keep losing as well.

My guess is the Devils finish right where they are in the 4th spot.

I would feel a lot better in that 3rd spot. Better odds to come away with Byram or Cozens at worst with a still good chance at Hughes.

Good news is a west Canada trip is always tough. Bad news is Edmonton and Vancouver both suck. Home games against the likes of Arizona aren’t auto loses either, and then of course the tank Stanley cup against Detroit.

Even after losing 6 in a row we haven’t fallen past 4th.

Last edited:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

I would feel a lot better in that 3rd spot. Better odds to come away with Byram or Cozens at worst with a still good chance at Hughes.

Good news is a west Canada trip is always tough. Bad news is Edmonton and Vancouver both suck. Home games against the likes of Arizona aren’t auto loses either, and then of course the tank Stanley cup against Detroit.

man the L10 record of the bottom 4 teams lol, realllyyy awful.

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
Byram just has so much going for him and literally nothing going against him. Every aspect of his game can significantly be considered a strength. His compete level is off the charts and he seems to raise his game at the most crucial of moments.

I have seen a very very big question mark in Byram's game. He can't fight!!

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Was just thinking, for teams that just missed the playoffs the lottery adds almost no chance of disappointment but some chance of huge excitement while the truly horrible teams have mostly just a chance of disappointment.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

LA and Anaheim play each other 2 more times after tonight. It's going to be very hard for the Devils to remain ahead of both teams.

Reactions: Pavail Zachupov

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
LA and Anaheim play each other 2 more times after tonight. It's going to be very hard for the Devils to remain ahead of both teams.
On the contrary, it guarantees the two clubs are going to at least get 4 points between the two of them, if not more. Umm... or by "ahead" you mean in the standings not in the tank chase?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah hughes and kakko seem to be the step above, but the team needs that number 1 all purpose defender so badly in order to round out the core for the next 10 years. still have to go bpa with the pick though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad