Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think the fact that the Devils signed Davies, plus Smith waiting in the wings, kind of softens the blow for defense immediately. I realize that you should draft for need, but if you did ever do that, Byram would be less of a priority than he was before with those two's future more assured.

...so anyhow, I'm ready for people to tell me more good things about Turcotte.

If you want to hear more good things about Turcotte, read anything I have written concerning Turcotte. I have him ranked higher than anyone I have seen at #4 overall. But I have several arguments to back this.

1)Skating/skill/vision: while Jack Hughes is clearly the best combination of these skills we have seen since Connor McDavid, Turcotte's skills here are also just outstanding. I'd say that, behind Hughes, it is very close between Turcotte/Zegras/Krebs for second best in these key categories.

2)Compete level: Turcotte is battling for tops in this crucial trait with only Krebs and Podkolzin. I would say that these three prospects could go toe-to-toe in compete level with any player who has been drafted in the past decade. I know that's quite a superlative, but these kids are all just relentless and play the game with almost preternatural intensity.

3)Two-way play: Turcotte is widely hailed as the top two-way forward available in the 2019 draft. I've seen the kid back check from the opposing crease because of a turnover near the blueline, then catch and strip an opposing forward deep in his own defensive zone. He never quits on a puck, he's always on it. He never loses his man, never coasts, never makes a lazy play. He's going to make mistakes or get beat as all young players do, but it will never be due to mental uncertainty or lack of effort.

Though Turcotte's pure goal scoring dooesn't match up with Cozens or Podkolzin and his physical game is only fair, neither can be considered a weakness. They're just not elite traits. I would say Turcotte's upside is very similar to a guy like Anze Kopitar -- a PPG, all-situations 1C who gets regular nominations for the Selke Trophy. He's the kind of guy you win with, plain and simple.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If you want to hear more good things about Turcotte, read anything I have written concerning Turcotte. I have him ranked higher than anyone I have seen at #4 overall. But I have several arguments to back this.

1)Skating/skill/vision: while Jack Hughes is clearly the best combination of these skills we have seen since Connor McDavid, Turcotte's skills here are also just outstanding. I'd say that, behind Hughes, it is very close between Turcotte/Zegras/Krebs for second best in these key categories.

2)Compete level: Turcotte is battling for tops in this crucial trait with only Krebs and Podkolzin. I would say that these three prospects could go toe-to-toe in compete level with any player who has been drafted in the past decade. I know that's quite a superlative, but these kids are all just relentless and play the game with almost preternatural intensity.

3)Two-way play: Turcotte is widely hailed as the top two-way forward available in the 2019 draft. I've seen the kid back check from the opposing crease because of a turnover near the blueline, then catch and strip an opposing forward deep in his own defensive zone. He never quits on a puck, he's always on it. He never loses his man, never coasts, never makes a lazy play. He's going to make mistakes or get beat as all young players do, but it will never be due to mental uncertainty or lack of effort.

Though Turcotte's pure goal scoring dooesn't match up with Cozens or Podkolzin and his physical game is only fair, neither can be considered a weakness. They're just not elite traits. I would say Turcotte's upside is very similar to a guy like Anze Kopitar -- a PPG, all-situations 1C who gets regular nominations for the Selke Trophy. He's the kind of guy you win with, plain and simple.

Reading between the lines it may be KREBS as your number five after The big two and then Byram and Turcotte.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Reading between the lines it may be KREBS as your number five after The big two and then Byram and Turcotte.

I have Turcotte over Krebs (and again, it's all very close) because 1)Turcotte is more likely, in my mind, to be a C in the NHL whereas I see Krebs as a LW; and 2)though Krebs is very good two-ways, Turcotte is even better.

For the record, I could not be higher on either of these two kids. They're both outstanding .

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I have Turcotte over Krebs (and again, it's all very close) because 1)Turcotte is more likely, in my mind, to be a C in the NHL whereas I see Krebs as a LW; and 2)though Krebs is very good two-ways, Turcotte is even better.

For the record, I could not be higher on either of these two kids. They're both outstanding .

I wasn’t suggesting you saw KREBS ahead of Turcotte (you know the guy who you compared to Nico). It’s just that the skill/skating/compete equation you laid out suggested KREBS ahead of Zegras Podkolzin or Cozens. If NJ picks one through four the choice seems pretty easy to some extent. At five or six it might be trickier.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You gunna just throw that out there with out the actual story?
Fair enough.

I was roughly 20 years old and showed up for a trail on a random weekday afternoon while it was dead sans a few tables in the back. There was a young woman behind the stick who was set to train me and an older female manager hanging around. It was to be one of my first bartending gigs in the city and I was a broke student, so needless to say I was pumped for the opportunity.

Roughly 7 minutes in I proceed to rip such violent and persistent a$$ it would make a Chinatown rat in July blush. The stench was so unbearable you could taste it and the bartender literally dry heaved in to the trash can.

I took one look at the flush green manager and said something along the lines of "I should just go, yeah?" Of course she just nodded as I scurried out mortified.

See you on the 21st Steven!

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Fair enough.

I was roughly 20 years old and showed up for a trail on a random weekday afternoon while it was dead sans a few tables in the back. There was a young woman behind the stick who was set to train me and an older female manager hanging around. It was to be one of my first bartending gigs in the city and I was a broke student, so needless to say I was pumped for the opportunity.

Roughly 7 minutes in I proceed to rip such violent and persistent a$$ it would make a Chinatown rat in July blush. The stench was so unbearable you could taste it and the bartender literally dry heaved in to the trash can.

I took one look at the flush green manager and said something along the lines of "I should just go, yeah?" Of course she just nodded as I scurried out mortified.

You, sir...just literally made me LOL!! Steven may want to rethink letting you back into that bar. :)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Fair enough.

You're fortunate that Sheila did not murder you. She was a black belt.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
We thought 2017 was a no-brainer too, till it wasn't :laugh:

The 2019 draft does not have nearly the controversy for the #1 pick that 2017 had. There was a split among experts between Hischier and Patrick, but Hughes is pretty much the unanimous #1 pick this year. I have seen exactly as many rankings with Kakko ranked #1 (Sportsnet.ca) as I have seen Kakko ranked #3 (The Draft Analyst).

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I'd stay far away from Podkolzin regardless of his skill. He might not come to NA for a while, making the pick worthless, or at least on par with picking Byram.

giphy.gif

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So it’s been awhile but I just took a few spins on the Draft Lottery simulator...

The first 5 pushes had the Flyer jump above us each and every time. Another the Ranger won #1 and then I decided I was going to stop. I spun one more and

1. Ducks
2. Devils
3. Vancouver

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
So it’s been awhile but I just took a few spins on the Draft Lottery simulator...

The first 5 pushes had the Flyer jump above us each and every time. Another the Ranger won #1 and then I decided I was going to stop. I spun one more and

1. Ducks
2. Devils
3. Vancouver

That order would be ideal (unless we get the #1 pick). Pretty clear cut who the top 3 would be if the board fell like that. Plus, I wouldn't hate the Ducks landing Hughes as much as I would the friggin' Avs.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ

1. Ducks
2. Devils
3. Vancouver

Playing with Tankathon:

[Devils get bumped down] - practice spin
[Devils get 1st or 2nd] - OMG it's an omen. We're going to win it.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
We are all Kings fans today!

Probable difference between picking 4 or 5.

As it stands, the Devils have about a 34% chance of drafting in the top 3, and about a 51% 4th or 5th, with just a 15% chance of drafting 6th.

If the Kings win tonight in regulation and the Devils lose, whether in regulation or overtime, the Devils would fall into the 30th overall slot.

This would give the Devils approximately a 39% chance of drafting in the top 3 and 61% chance of drafting 4th or 5th, with no possibility of falling to #6.

It would be a nice improvement of odds, but it's not imperative. Remember, the Devils only lottery win came after finishing with the 6th-worst record in the NHL. What would be nice about falling down one more slot would not be the negligibly greater odds of of winning out on Hughes and Kakko at the 1/2 slots (3.9%), so much as greatly increasing the odds of finishing 3/4 (21.3%), which is probably where they will need to be if they want Bowen Byram.

For those who are biting their fingernails, keep in mind that even if the Devils miss out on Hughes/Kakko/Byram, even at the 5/6 slots they will have a chance at a cornerstone F with Cozens, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Dach, Zegras, Krebs rounding out a very impressive top 9 for the class of 2019.

My3Sons

Sponsor
As it stands, the Devils have about a 34% chance of drafting in the top 3, and about a 51% 4th or 5th, with just a 15% chance of drafting 6th.

If the Kings win tonight in regulation and the Devils lose, whether in regulation or overtime, the Devils would fall into the 30th overall slot.

This would give the Devils approximately a 39% chance of drafting in the top 3 and 61% chance of drafting 4th or 5th, with no possibility of falling to #6.

It would be a nice improvement of odds, but it's not imperative. Remember, the Devils only lottery win came after finishing with the 6th-worst record in the NHL. What would be nice about falling down one more slot would not be the negligibly greater odds of of winning out on Hughes and Kakko at the 1/2 slots (3.9%), so much as greatly increasing the odds of finishing 3/4 (21.3%), which is probably where they will need to be if they want Bowen Byram.

For those who are biting their fingernails, keep in mind that even if the Devils miss out on Hughes/Kakko/Byram, even at the 5/6 slots they will have a chance at a cornerstone F with Cozens, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Dach, Zegras, Krebs rounding out a very impressive top 9 for the class of 2019.

Some teams may see Podkolzin or Dach as a third or fourth pick. It’s very variable beyond top two this draft as you’ve suggested. NJ will have great players on the board at 5 or even 6. Maybe Byram and Turcotte go 3 and 4 but maybe not. The various lists that have come out lately don’t show much consensus beyond the top two.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Literally cannot take the Russian

No matter the skill level if he has any doubts about coming over you avoid him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad