Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
Kakko yesterday in second playoff game 2+1 and his first goal was not accepted because there was goaltending interference but I think it should have been good goal. I didn't found highlight from the game where is only Kakkos goals but here is full game highlight: (First Kakkos goal at 0.27 (not accepted), second goal at 3.30, assist at 3.50, and third goal at 4.33).

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That was when we were getting **** goaltending. Now we're getting good goaltending 95% of the time from Blackwood and maybe 70% of the time from Cory.

Honestly right now the standings are our friend though...it would take something insane to get below 4 in the lotto odds considering we're six points behind the Rangers/Buffalo and they have two games in hand each. Anaheim's the only team we could even conceviably fall back from since they're seven points ahead but we have a game in hand, and that would still take some doing.

It's only about whether the odds get a 'little' better or not though, where we finish has little to do with where we'll draft in the end. The odds for getting the #1 pick is 13.5% for the Kings (2nd worst) and 9.5% for us (4th worst), which is pretty much our range now, bfd.

While I agree that that's not a super-huge difference for 1st overall, it does make a huge difference where the Devils draft in general - if the Devils finish 2nd worst, they are 40ish% more likely to draft 1st, 2nd, or 3rd overall than they would be if they finished 4th worst, but they're about 13 times more likely to draft 4th overall and about equally likely to pick 5th (odd quirk of the system). But of course if they finish 2nd to last, they can't pick 6th or 7th whereas they have a combined 42% chance of doing so if they finish 4th worst.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I can't change it but be happy when the Devils win. I just can't root for them to lose, even when I try to and even against the Coyotes, who are my #2 team. So I'd really prefer for the Devils to finish wherever and then win the lottery :D

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Kakko yesterday in second playoff game 2+1 and his first goal was not accepted because there was goaltending interference but I think it should have been good goal. I didn't found highlight from the game where is only Kakkos goals but here is full game highlight: (First Kakkos goal at 0.27 (not accepted), second goal at 3.30, assist at 3.50, and third goal at 4.33).

man oh man, I want Kakko sooooo bad lol

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

How was that goalie interference?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves

How would you break down Turcotte vs Cozens? At first I was 100% on the Cozens bandwagon but I'm starting to warm a little toward Turcotte. Seems like the latter is maybe a little more skilled while the former is more of a bull in a china shop.

Very close. I have Cozens at #4 and Turcotte at #5 right now. Cozens is more of a goal scorer and shooter, but Turcotte's two-way game is second to no one in this draft. They are both terrific prospects.

Reactions: My3Sons

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
My boy Graeme Clarke with 5 goals through 2 playoff games for the 67's so far. Although his skating prob isnt at the level typically coveted by our scouting staff, I still like this kid and would take a shot with a 3rd or 4th rounder if hes still around

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
My boy Graeme Clarke with 5 goals through 2 playoff games for the 67's so far. Although his skating prob isnt at the level typically coveted by our scouting staff, I still like this kid and would take a shot with a 3rd or 4th rounder if hes still around

Boucher level type skating?

Reactions: mdj12784

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Graeme Clarke does two things very well -- he hustles, and he can really put the puck in the net if given any opportunity. He's a pure sniper. The question is: without ideal size or skating ability, if he does not reach the level of a top-6 NHL scorer, is he the type of player who can fill a bottom 6 role?

I have no doubt Clarke's heart and scoring acumen lead to his name being called on the second day of the draft. I think it will happen some time from the fourth round on. If I were Ray Shero, he's not a guy to reach for in the third, but he falls to the 5th round his name would certainly stand out to me, especially as badly as the Devils need right-shooting scorers on the wing in the organization.

Reactions: nugg and oxman44

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Very close. I have Cozens at #4 and Turcotte at #5 right now. Cozens is more of a goal scorer and shooter, but Turcotte's two-way game is second to no one in this draft. They are both terrific prospects.

It sounds like both of these kids will be fantastic players. The reason I prefer Cozens is we could use another goal scorer/shooter. We already have Bratt who is more of a playmaker and while Nico can fill the net, I view him as a playmaker first. It also remains to be seen if Zacha will profile as a set-up guy or scorer (hopefully he continues to develop and excels at one of these areas). I also like that Cozens can play C or RW and is a big kid. That kind of flexibility is nice, especially considering RW is an organizational need. His combination of size, speed and scoring acumen is really appealing. It sounds like the only discernible advantage Turcotte has over Cozens is his two-way game is more complete at this point?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If memory serves me correctly, there will be a televised draft special on Tuesday 4/9 from 8-9pm.

Edit- Confirmed. Televised on NBCSN

Sure, come on down to Flight 151. We've got a bunch of new big screen TVs and opened up the place a bit so there's more room for more people. I'll make sure the lottery is on a bunch of screens.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It sounds like both of these kids will be fantastic players. The reason I prefer Cozens is we could use another goal scorer/shooter. We already have Bratt who is more of a playmaker and while Nico can fill the net, I view him as a playmaker first. It also remains to be seen if Zacha will profile as a set-up guy or scorer (hopefully he continues to develop and excels at one of these areas). I also like that Cozens can play C or RW and is a big kid. That kind of flexibility is nice, especially considering RW is an organizational need. His combination of size, speed and scoring acumen is really appealing. It sounds like the only discernible advantage Turcotte has over Cozens is his two-way game is more complete at this point?

Right now Cozens is preferable for several reasons which you highlighted, but I think there's only a very slim chance he's still on the board after 4 picks. He seems to have usurped Dach on most draft boards for "best WHL center prospect". With Hughes and Kakko pretty much locked into the 1/2 slots, I'd say Cozens is the favorite to go #3. While there are a few teams I could see considering Byram at #3 (DET, VAN, NJ, BUF) and a few teams I could see considering Podkolzin at #3 (NYR, LA, FLA) -- even in such a scenario, Cozens would be an overwhelming favorite at #4 and I'd be downright shocked were he not picked by #5.

The reason I keep hyping Turcotte is that, as things stand, the Devils have significant odds of drafting at #5 or #6, when Cozens is off the board. Turcotte rates extremely high in all the categories which Shero and Castron seem to hold in crucial regard (skating, hockey IQ, compete level) and is, without much doubt, the best two-way forward available in the draft. Though this is important to note, what's getting lost in all of this is that Turcotte is also a dynamic offensive threat who seems to control the flow of play every time he hits the ice. Though Cozens will score more goals, Turcotte will have incredible possession stats.

So, to answer and agree with you, if NJ was drafting fourth and Cozens and Turcotte were both available, who would I want? Like you, I would take Cozens. But it's important to note that Turcotte is not a consolation prize -- he's a downright prize. This is my Devils wish list for their lottery pick (not my rankings, which are slightly different). I'm only going top 8, since I do not think there is any way the Devils draft lower than 8.

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Byram
4 Cozens
5 Turcotte
6 Zegras
7 Krebs
8 Podkolzin

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Graeme Clarke does two things very well -- he hustles, and he can really put the puck in the net if given any opportunity. He's a pure sniper. The question is: without ideal size or skating ability, if he does not reach the level of a top-6 NHL scorer, is he the type of player who can fill a bottom 6 role?

I have no doubt Clarke's heart and scoring acumen lead to his name being called on the second day of the draft. I think it will happen some time from the fourth round on. If I were Ray Shero, he's not a guy to reach for in the third, but he falls to the 5th round his name would certainly stand out to me, especially as badly as the Devils need right-shooting scorers on the wing in the organization.
stephen gionta

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Turcotte has 53 points in 30 games. Right now the only player with a higher points per game than him on his team is Jack Hughes, which is pretty impressive on a team stacked with 1st round talent.

Yeah, if not Hughes or Kakko, Byram and Tourcotte are even on my personal “wish list”

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Turcotte has 53 points in 30 games. Right now the only player with a higher points per game than him on his team is Jack Hughes, which is pretty impressive on a team stacked with 1st round talent.

Yep, I have Turcotte ranked #5 overall right now. It's also important to note that #3 through #9 are extremely close right now, in my estimation, and Newhook is not far behind them at #10.

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Byram
4 Cozens
5 Turcotte
6 Podkolzin
7 Zegras
8 Krebs
9 Dach
10 Newhook

Status
Not open for further replies.