Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I refuse to get hyped for any given prospect because the Pens always end up taking some guy way off the board who I know nothing about.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If we end up making a trade for a top 7-10 pick, I’d be absolutely ecstatic with Peyton Krebs. I honestly like him more than Hughes.

One of the fastest skaters in the draft, solid defensively, PK’s and he’s highly touted due to his hockey IQ. Offensively he’s been compared to Barzal. He is exactly the kind of offensive talent we need. He plays C/LW so we could start him 3LW and over time he’d shift into a top 6 Center if/when Geno gets moved to winger. His main drawback s his weight, which is just about the best problem you can have if there is a flaw.

Plus his nickname can be Mr. Krebs.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Wonder if a team like Chicago that is still in contender status would consider something like Kessel + our first for the 3rd overall. Or a team like Colorado or Anaheim which still fancy themselves contenders.

Rangers did something similar a few years ago with Stepan when they dealt him and Raanta for the 7th overall and D'angelo.

Reactions: Doogle

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Holy crap this team has their first round pick?!? How the hell did that happen? Quick... is there still a way to trade it for absolutely nothing we need?!?

jim-rutherford.jpg

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Honestly it's got to be the goal at this point, Maatta, Horny, perhaps Kessel and a couple of others could be dealt
He has to bring in younger players and picks

He can replace some of those guys with UFA players, I don't know if he would leave but Eberle would be a great fit here.
No he wouldn't. He is maybe a 2nd 3rd line player at best. Don't let what he just did to the Pens cloud your judgement about the type of player he really is.

Reactions: Casanova

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
No he wouldn't. He is maybe a 2nd 3rd line player at best. Don't let what he just did to the Pens cloud your judgement about the type of player he really is.

What he did to the Pens is not going to cloud my judgement, but Eberle is not a 3rd line player
He would be on Sid or Geno's wing in a top 6 role and IMO could replace Kessel for who we get assets for in a trade

Reactions: Trade and Jacob

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Bobby Brink all day. We finally want skill and skating with Crosby and Malkin. This kid has both and do t be fooled by his size. He's puck heavy and absolutely dynamic.

He'll drop but Jett Jungels is another target.

Grant Docter and Josh Ludke are two Dmen to target. Modern style and wheels to burn.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Some of these names are so glorious they absolutely sound made up.

Jett Jungels?!?

Well I know who I'm pinning MY hopes on, now.

Reactions: ncm7772

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Bobby Brink all day. We finally want skill and skating with Crosby and Malkin. This kid has both and do t be fooled by his size. He's puck heavy and absolutely dynamic.

He'll drop but Jett Jungels is another target.

Aaron Huglen and Josh Ludke are two Dmen to target. Modern style and wheels to burn.

The way JR is going we'll probably pick some 6 foot 4 lug who has no skill.

Reactions: JBose7 and Doogle

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
The way JR is going we'll probably pick some 6 foot 4 lug who has no skill.
I dont know... CP has to be their Minnesota scout.

Ryder Donavan in 6'4" and absolutely flies. Plus he puts up points playing for Mike Randolph who's a very defensive coach.

Reactions: Doogle and Trade

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Talked about it in other threads but basically we pick #23 right now.

Very good chance we move to #22 if Vegas reaches the the CF(pretty likely).
If both Vegas and COL advance to round 2, we get #22 automatically since one of 'em going to the CF moves us up 1 spot.

The other scenarios:

-CBJ reaches the CF...up 1 spot
-CAR reaches the CF...up 1 spot
-STL or WPG getting thru NSH or DAL in Rd2...up 1 spot

So highest we can reach is #19.
Pretty good chance we reach #22-21 in my mind.
#19 would need everything above to go our way.

ETA: Heres a list of players in that 1st rd area. Missing would be some top D that may drop:

Alexander Newhook
Cam York
Connor McMichael
Arthur Kaliyev
Ryan Suzuki
Cole Caufield
Matthew Boldy
Moritz Seider
Bobby Brink
Raphaël Lavoie
Thomas Harley
Matthew Robertson
Phillip Tomasino
Brett Leason
Ville Heinola
Jakob Pelletier
Nils Höglander
Samuel Poulin
Nathan Légaré

Last edited:
Reactions: Burn and wej20

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
You have to think that Caufield is playing his way into the top 10 with his U18 performance.

Pens need a top 6 winger. Plenty of D is available in the later rounds.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Matthew Robertson, LD from the Edmonton Oil Kings intrigues me. Big kid at 6'4", roughly 200 lbs already, but a strong (but not I would call exceptional) skater. He uses his size, but doesn't fall into that game of trying to physically dominate every battle, instead using his intelligence and length to win some battles before they even start.

Robertson falls because of concerns over his offensive potential. And, it's true, he won't ever have the numbers of a Karlsson/Letang/Burns... but he is not, say a Lauzon-like black hole offensively. He has a good outlet pass and has a deceptive shot, in my opinion. I think 30-ish points should be about what to expect per-season. Basically, I think Robertson has the potential to be a better version of Dumoulin, if he hits his potential. On the low-end, I still see him making it as a 3rd pairing guy.

A mid round prospect I like is Ethan Keppen, LW from Flint. Another big kid at 6'2" ~210 lbs, Keppen plays a power forward game combined with an incredible work ethic. No matter the situation, Keppen always looks to be giving 100% effort. As with most power forward prospects, the worry is skating. I see enough that makes me think he will progress enough to be a legit NHLer, but others obviously disagree, as he is consistently ranked in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

Reactions: Burn

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
So, every team that has MORE points than us eliminated in the first round picks after us?

So we want Boston eliminated, Washington eliminated, Sharks eliminated and Predators eliminated.

seabs926

Jun 14, 2009
So, every team that has MORE points than us eliminated in the first round picks after us?

So we want Boston eliminated, Washington eliminated, Sharks eliminated and Predators eliminated.
Boston being eliminated is irrelevant as Toronto and Boston are guaranteed to pick after us. We want the Preds to lose now but as long as they don't make the conference final it ensures we mve up another spot as that means Winnipeg or STL makes it. OGBF laid it out pretty well, we're anywhere between 19 and 23, most likely 21 or 22.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
US vs. Russia is on NHL Network at 9:30 AM tomorrow. Not sure who outside of Podkolzhin is worth watching on Russia.. Dorofeyev is slated to be a mid-1st round pick but he's too old for the tournament. Virtually the entire US roster is worth watching though.

In the Sweden-US game one guy that I wasn't even looking for but stood out to me was John Beecher.. Seems like he's slated to go in the 2nd or later.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad