Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I have a good guess for who the Penguins may target with their 1st rounder this year, Thomas Harley. JR's comment that guys who can both move the puck and "push back" cost $15 million a year makes me think he'd love this guy:

Another offensive defenseman, Harley has a lot of size and speed that makes him a strong player at both ends of the ice. The 6-foot-3 defenseman is a physical presence that is aggressive on the puck carrier and can win those fights for loose pucks. He's the type of left-handed defenseman that can quarterback a power play, and he can make strong tape-to-tape passes and unleash a heavy shot to boot.
“A high riser in the rankings, Harley has taken on a lot of responsibility for a rebuilding Steelheads squad and is still putting up points. Size, skating and skill are all strengths, but Harley also takes care of his own end. There’s a real high ceiling here.”

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I have a good guess for who the Penguins may target with their 1st rounder this year, Thomas Harley. JR's comment that guys who can both move the puck and "push back" cost $15 million a year makes me think he'd love this guy:
Sam Conentino - SportsNetFeb. 13th: "Continues to climb the charts due to his elite skating and puck-handling abilities. You’d much rather coach the wildness out of his game than have to encourage more of it."

Cam Robinson - Dobber ProspectsFeb. 6th: "An efficient and play-driving defender with good size and speed. Harley has not only accepted a larger role with Mississauga this year, but he’s also thrived. Improved lateral quickness and overall speed from last season make him more of a threat off the rush."

Ryan Kennedy - The Hockey NewsFeb. 1st: "Harley has taken on a lot of responsibility for a rebuilding Steelheads squad and is still putting up points. Size, skating and skill are all strengths, but Harley also takes care of his own end. There’s a real high ceiling here."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 12th: "A riverboat gambler who must continue to work on play in his own end. There’s a Thomas Chabot waiting to come out."

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - Nov. 7th: "Starting to come out of his shell. A smooth skater with excellent passing abilities. Has good reach to help him defen wesively."[/QUOTE]
need to move way up to draft him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burn

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I may be wrong about that. I haven’t paid attention to the draft order in years for obvious reasons, so my memory is hazy.

I know 1-14 is lottery seeded on reg season results.

Then the last four picks are based on the conference finalists.

After that it’s either based on first elimination or reseeding after the second round...

Either way, seeding is then based on things such as points, who was a division winner, etc.

If it’s based on first elimination, and since the Pens aren’t division winners, they could get a pretty nice pick 16-18... if things go really well.

Ie CBJ already won... now they need in the East, Canes to win, and we all want that anyway.

West you would be pulling for Vegas, Stars, Avs... Vegas and Avs are up in their series.

Blues and Jets both had 99... and one of them won’t be moving on, so that will at best be the 15th slot if all those other teams move on.

If it’s first elimination and series hold up... Pens would pick 18th I believe...

15 Stars
16 Canes
17 Jets/Blues

You're close, but there are a couple places you're a bit off (likely due to the addition of the Golden Knights):
1-15 Teams that missed the playoffs, based on regular season standings.
16-23 Playoff teams that aren't division leaders or conference finalists, ordered by regular season results.
24-27 Division Leaders (if they don't advance to Conference Finals), ordered by regular season results.
28-29 Conference Finalists, ordered by regular season results
30 Stanley Cup Finalist
31 Stanley Cup Winner

Based on the results so far, here's the draft 0rder, including potential ranges for teams still playing:
1 Devils
2 Rangers
3 Blackhawks
4 Avalanche (from Senators)
5 Kings
6 Red Wings
7 Sabres
8 Oilers
9 Ducks
10 Canucks
11 Flyers
12 Wild
13 Panthers
14 Coyotes
15 Canadiens
--- Playoff Line ---
16,28-31 Avalanche
16-17,28-31 Golden Knights
16-18,28-31 Stars
16-19,28-31 Senators (from Blue Jackets)
16-20,28-31 Sabres or Ducks (from Blues)
17-21,28-31 Hurricanes
18-22 Rangers (from Jets)
19-23 Penguins
20-24,28-31 Kings (from Maple Leafs)
21-25,28-31 Sabres or Ducks (from Sharks)
22-25,28-31 Islanders
23-25,28-31 Bruins
24-25,28-31 Predators
25,28-31 Capitals
26 Flames
27 Lightning
28 Conference Finalist
29 Conference Finalist
30 Stanley Cup Finalist
31 Stanley Cup Winner

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Thanks for posting that.

I really hate that format. Why punish Cinderella runs?

Anyone else think the Pens draft a goalie with a later pick?

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Brink playing today for the US U18.

2 assists for far... Minnesota's going to take him. Dang..

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Cam York looks like a good one. Looks like one of those d-men that can just eat up minutes without breaking a sweat.

Don't really see the appeal of Podkolzin. At least not as a top 3 pick. He has a pretty mature all-around game but I don't see like, much upside.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Bobby Brink all day. We finally want skill and skating with Crosby and Malkin. This kid has both and do t be fooled by his size. He's puck heavy and absolutely dynamic.

He'll drop but Jett Jungels is another target.

Aaron Huglen and Josh Ludke are two Dmen to target. Modern style and wheels to burn.

I seriously hate all of those names. Know nothing about the players

Reactions: Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Few more kids worth looking out for in later rounds: goalie Jareth Loaf, forward Blayden Schuster-Katsube-Rivero and d-man J’Bisco Ryder.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jareth Loaf. Jett Jungles. J'Bisco Ryder. Blayden followed by 34 surnames?

You guys are all f***ing with me, right? These are "We're 20 years into GM mode in NHL 19 and the computer is just throwing random shit together now" names.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I have admittedly not studied any prospects yet, I'm still trying to figure out first overall in my nfl dynasty league.

But analyzing our situation, we can look at things a few ways. If we want to get someone who may contribute to a cup before this era ends, we need an older winger. If we want to have someone in the wings waiting to replace Geno, targeting a center would be smart. Or if we want to strengthen our weakness, we can always go defense. So it'll be interesting to see which way they go, because it would really show us a lot about their philosophy regarding our future. Or GMJR grabs a goalie or trades it for a player who Sullivan refuses to play, implying that our future is f'd. I guess we shall see

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jareth Loaf. Jett Jungles. J'Bisco Ryder. Blayden followed by 34 surnames?

You guys are all ****ing with me, right? These are "We're 20 years into GM mode in NHL 19 and the computer is just throwing random **** together now" names.
Blayden probably has poly parents.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Watching Canada.. was mostly wanting to pay attention to Poulin but I’m liking his linemate Legare a lot more.

Caught quite a bit of his highlights watching D'Orio games near the tail end of the Q season.
Think his game will translate very well to the pros. Oshie like.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Starting to see him as the 2nd best d-man in the draft. I’d like that pick a lot but idk if he’ll be there.

Kinda think Brink is my top “realistic target” for us at 23. He or Pelletier.

Also like Newhook as a kid who might fall past where he should be taken. Fingers crossed. Feel like we can’t pass that type of talent if he’s there. Awesome skater.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Players drafted high out of the BCHL have had mixed success at reaching their pre-draft hype, but Newhook's U18 tournament thus far is encouraging.

I'd be happy with Brinks or York. If we can get a 2nd I'd like Legare. I like Kaliyev but he's probably too much of a risk for where we'll be picking. And fo course when they inevitably pick a bunch of guys I've never seen or heard of before I'll absolutely lose my shit.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Bobby Brink is a RW going to Denver, hopefully he doesn't suffer from Beau Bennett's bad juju.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad