Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Predators first round draft targets. Very decent overlap preview since Nashville picks at 24.

Thomson seems like he could be a late riser. I've long had him at the end of the first round but I wonder if McKenzie may have him a little earlier. He's the best RD after Seider & Soderstrom, albeit with some risk involved. Still, I could see teams coveting his shot, skating and sense strengths in the belief that once he fills out he could be a really dynamic possession D.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
2019 NHL Mock Draft - Picks 16-31 - Last Word on Hockey

25.) Washington Capitals – Bobby Brink, Right Wing, Sioux City Musketeers, USHL

The Capitals have one of the best goalie prospects outside the NHL in Ilya Samsonov. They also have a ton of depth on defence in their prospect pool. Given that, they can will look to add offensive talent. Brink is another undersized sniper in this draft. A strong season with the Sioux City Musketeers earned the American forward a call-up to join the members of the US National Team Development Program for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships where he had a strong tournament on the team’s second line.

Brink is a sniper. He has a fantastic wrist shot and a lightning quick release. It is amongst the best shots in this draft class. It is also deadly accurate. Brink has the soft hands to score in tight to the goal as well, with the hand-eye coordination to get deflections and pounce on rebounds. He is not afraid to battle for his position in front of the net. His slap shot and one-timer are also very good but he does not use them often, preferring to make use of his wrist shot. Brink shows a knack for getting himself open without the puck in order to take a pass and get that shot off.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
31 Thoughts: Sharks still have shot at keeping Erik Karlsson - Sportsnet.ca

9. There’s a ton of trade talk. Among the most aggressive teams: Buffalo, Calgary, Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Vancouver, Vegas, Washington and Winnipeg. Depending on how the draft goes, we could see some frenetic attempts to move up and down.

The Sabres have talked to the Rangers about Jimmy Vesey. The Flames tested the market on James Neal. The Blackhawks are looking for a defenceman. Toronto’s asking price for Nikita Zaitsev is either another defenceman, or something they can use to get one. They will have no shortage of options if they do decide to move Nazem Kadri (Winnipeg is on his no-trade list, so he’d have to be approached about it.) Loui Eriksson’s agent, JP Barry, confirmed on Sportsnet 650 in Vancouver on Friday that it is time for the winger to move on. Other teams believe the Capitals are in total "go for it" mode.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

McCagg making the case for Thomson. He has Montreal taking him way up at 15 in a recent mock draft and has some ins with Timmins and their staff. Thomson is leaving the Kelowna Defense Factory to play in Finland next season, which is likely good for forcing his physical development. Not sure he's altogether in the Karlsson/Klingberg mode. He's one of the oldest players in the draft among first-time eligibles but I could see him becoming similar to Letang or Barrie.

NHL.com piece on Brink with mention of patterning his game after Marner and drawing a Williams comparison.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
NHL Mock Draft 2019 – Picks 47 - 62 - Last Word on Hockey

56.) Washington Capitals – Samuel Fagemo, Right Wing, Frolunda, SHL

With strong defencemen already in their prospect pool, the Capitals look for more offensive firepower in the system. Fagemo loves to shoot the puck and will do so at any opportunity. He has an accurate, powerful wrist shot and quick release. He has a knack for finding open space to take a pass from a teammate and fire the puck on the net. Fagemo also has a very good one-timer. He is a good stick handler. Fagemo combines a number of quick moves with his speed and agility in order to get past defenders or simply to make a small move and create space to get his shot off. When his feet are moving he is good at controlling the puck down low on the cycle. He is willing to go to the net, driving there with the puck and looking to get open and make a play without it.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
https://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-2019-nhl-draft-mock/

With the 25th overall pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Washington Capitals are proud to select from Metallurg Magnitogorsk, LW Pavel Dorofeyev.
Summary (via Sergey Kuzin): The Capitals haven’t spent a first round pick on forwards since 2014 and the system depth highly lacks high-end offensive talents. Dorofeyev is a bit of long-term prospect, but you can’t pass his talent. One-way winger, he could improve his defensive side of the game, but has full package of offensive skills that can be called high-end. He skates fine and truly has a top-six upside.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
A pretty methodical mock draft attempt. Some highlights:
I’m told Tomasino could be the sleeper here, that Philadelphia could have significant interest. Tomasino could be this year’s late riser out of the OHL, like Barrett Hayton in 2018 and Morgan Frost in 2017....

Arizona was the other team supposedly taking a long look at both Tomasino and Kaliyev. Those two names were mentioned ahead of Newhook in discussing the Coyotes’ options....

Perhaps another Swede flying a little under the radar in Simon Holmstrom, who endured an injury-plagued draft year....Again, Holmstrom was mentioned as a sleeper candidate for Ottawa [at 19]....

At No. 25, Washington could be looking at Leason or Foote as an eventual replacement for Brett Connolly — with Leason perhaps capable of plugging that pending hole as early as next season. Hoglander, Holmstrom and fellow Swedish forwards Albin Grewe and Samuel Fagemo were also bandied about for the Capitals, along with four Russian forwards in Afanasyev, Yegor Spiridonov, Ilya Nikolayev and Daniil Gutik — the latter of whom I had going to Washington in the second round, at 56th overall.
Nobody was complaining about my Seider selection for the Capitals, though most deemed that pick improbable — alluding to the unlikelihood of his availability at No. 25. The majority suggested a forward for Washington, with Leason a popular pick assuming Hoglander is gone....

Spoiler alert, for my consensus mock — which is based primarily on feedback and doesn’t necessarily reflect my personal opinions — I will be slotting Kaliyev and Tomasino into the top 14.
I prefer Poulin, perhaps even to Brink as top choice given his style and the ETA difference. While Leason may be the most fast-track type righty winger candidate ahead of Brink, Fagemo or Legare the ultimate upside seems dodgy. It would be hard to see him making an impact next season so I don't know that the jump he has on the first-time eligibles is that pronounced. In a year, who knows where Poulin, Suzuki, Hoglander or even Tracey are at? (Or those other righty wingers.) I know Foote was playing through injuries last season but his skating isn't first round material.

No Brink & Suzuki in that first round. Some GMs may want to overthink and value grit after the Blues win but I'd be surprised.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Holmstrom's injury concerns scare me a little bit, but perhaps that's me just overreacting to a couple other guys who've seen their development go sideways due to injuries in recent years.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
McKenzie reportedly has Poulin at 24 & Brink at 26. No Hoglander/Leason/Tracey/Afanasyev in the top 31. Kaliyev at 21 with a wide variance of opinion on him.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
https://www.tsn.ca/americans-set-to-dominate-first-round-of-the-nhl-draft-1.1323878
- Only one goaltender - the American, Knight, at No. 12 - is ranked in the top 31, but he’s projected to be a star. Many believe Knight has the tools to become the best ever American goalie and it will be fascinating to see how early, or late, a team is prepared to forgo a skater for him. Knight’s consensus ranking is No. 12 but some teams rank him as a top five or 10 prospect.
- The biggest draft wild card is Kaliyev, the 6-foot-2 winger who scored 51 goals this season. Next to 72-goal scorer Cole Caufield, Kaliyev is quite likely best goal scorer in the draft. He has underrated playmaking ability, too, not to mention size and strength — but inconsistency of effort has created a polarizing effect among scouts. In the TSN survey of 10 scouts, one had the Kaliyev in the top 10 and another had him outside the top 40. The others had him spread out in between, totaling six votes in the first round and four in the second. No other prospect ranked in the first round has such a wide variance....
- One final note on the rankings: Prospects from Nos. 25 through 50 are, more or less interchangeable. Which is to say every player ranked in the top 50 got at least one vote as a first-rounder. Swedish defenceman Simon Lundmark (No. 61), U.S. high school defenceman Jayden Struble (No. 63), Swedish defenceman Albert Johansson (No. 72) and even Swedish centre Karl Henriksson (No. 83) had noteworthy, albeit isolated, first-round support.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So...good news as far as Knight not sliding and tempting them. I think we're looking at either maybe trying to trade up slightly should someone they covet slide or maybe just hoping for Lavoie, Kaliyev or Tomasino to fall to them. Tomasino seems like the least likely curiously enough. There's so much to work with in Lavoie & Kaliyev that it'd be a no-brainer at 25 IMO. Then there's Suzuki, Poulin, Brink & McMichael ranked more closely in their range and perhaps their most realistic options. Leason, Hoglander, Tracey & Afanasyev are ranked consecutively 34-37.

I'd previously knocked Bob's list last year as a little less accurate than usual but in part that was due to teams like MIN & OTT taking Johansson & Bernard-Docker. He did have Noel at 19 a good fifteen spots higher than he eventually went and 25/31 isn't tremendous but not bad. He had Merkley (32), O'Brien (34) & Lundkvist (36) just outside the first.

Noteworthy that Bob has Puistola at 71 and Dorofeyev way down at 82. From a pure skill and upside standpoint they probably ought to be in the mix at 56 at least. Holmstrom at 43 on down would be my guess for options to hope for at 56.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

All D from 14-18, so hopefully some forwards slip.

2019 NHL Draft Team Needs: Metropolitan Divison - Last Word on Hockey

Draft Position: 25th Overall

Recent First Round Picks: Alexander Alexeyev, Lucas Johansen

Team Needs:

The Capitals have been focused on defence over the last four drafts as they have used 12 of their 22 picks to select defenceman. Now it’s time to shift the focus to the offence. Outside of Alex Ovechkin, the Capitals have only had one player over the last five years to hit the 30 goal mark. That was T.J. Oshie back in 2016-17. With Ovechkin set to turn 34 in September, it’s time the Capitals started stocking up on high calibre forwards through the draft.

Projected Pick: Pavel Dorofevey

To address the need for forward prospects, the Capitals would benefit from selecting Russian forward Pavel Dorofevey. Dorofevey is a very creative winger with an excellent set of hands. While not the greatest skater, he makes up with it with his excellent stick handling abilities and vision to either deke out his opponents or find the open man on the rush. He also possesses a quick and accurate wrist shot.
Dorofevey is great at cycling the puck and is not afraid to go to the dirty areas of the ice despite usually being a lot smaller than his opponents as he only weighs 163 pounds. Dorofevey will need to put on some muscle to continue to play this way at the next level but should come in time as he develops with the team.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
All D from 14-18, so hopefully some forwards slip.
Yeah, nothing too surprising. Knight being that high and both Lavoie/Kaliyev being after that D group does give some hope. As does Heinola being in the early 20's and the possibility maybe there's a run on D that could pull Robertson, Vlasic or perhaps Thomson further up ahead of them. That would be a best-case. It's probably likewise good for them if Suzuki goes top 20 IMO given some of the concerns about perimeter play.

I think I'd narrow it down to Lavoie, Kaliyev, Tomasino, Poulin or Brink at this stage. At least one is likely to be available at 25. Maybe they pounce and move up to bet on one of those first two. I can see many teams picking their games apart and maybe overthinking and/or underrating just how high their upside could be should they put it all together. Lavoie was a top ten candidate at one point and some believe Kaliyev warrants consideration in that range. But neither uses their size assertively nor do they play a very dedicated game away from the puck. I could see both Tomasino & Poulin going before them as well given that they're more polished currently. 25 still seems like a long way to slide but you never know. The possibility of one of Lavoie, Kaliyev or Brink available would represent their historical finesse swing for the fences type pick and given the lack of substantial offensive upside in the system I'd be for it. Poulin still represents a really safe consolation prize, though. The gap between them isn't that big.

It's probably unlikely but if those five forwards are gone I'd at least think about Thomson as a future PPQB and offensive-minded RD. Given his placement I wouldn't doubt Rees sneaking into the first round and perhaps becoming a candidate for them as well. Afanasyev or someone else further back can't be ruled out either but I'd hope that's more of a trade back scenario.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Further on Lavoie/Kaliyev, it's hard to see either getting past 19-24 but it's not impossible. I'm skeptical but it's conceivable. While OTT, WPG, PIT, LAK, NYI & NSH could be a fit for either there could be positional priorities (C/D) or organizational identity leading them to pass. PIT/NYI/NSH could also be trade down candidates given some of their lack of picks.

Ottawa tends to factor in character more heavily recently but would they be more aggressive after having missed out on the fourth pick? Would Pittsburgh overlook some of their concerns given the centers they could put them with? Or do they go defense? Would LA be more inclined to assume some risk with their second first round pick? (Or if they go forward at five do they go defense?) Would NYI/NSH shoot for upside or go with a center or a more well-rounded fit? (NYI also has somewhat similar wingers in Wahlstrom & Bellows as it is.) Loads of questions that would have to go their way to have the opportunity at 25 for either but, then again, a guy like Brink could also jump them as an upside option. We'll see. I wouldn't be inclined to move up for either but maybe if they're not overly high on the back-end of the second round possibilities they'd be comfortable doing it.

I'd probably just stay put and see how it unfolds. Worst-case they could walk away with Suzuki or Thomson and there's a lot of upside with both. There's some concern about grit/physical and interior play but they've got the wheels and IQ to be players. It'd be nice to be a few spots further up to be more selective but they're in a decent spot to get strong value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad