Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Who will the Caps pick with their first?

If the BPA is a LHD are they really gonna pick him?

Based on a quick look of who's available in the 20-30 range here's my best guess.

Connor McMichael. Hilarious name.

Brett Leason. Huge WHL centre.

Nils Hoglander. Small Swedish winger.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Where's this Cole Caufield character projected to go?

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Who will the Caps pick with their first?

If the BPA is a LHD are they really gonna pick him?

Based on a quick look of who's available in the 20-30 range here's my best guess.

Connor McMichael. Hilarious name.

Brett Leason. Huge WHL centre.

Nils Hoglander. Small Swedish winger.

We have a winner. WHL? Check. Big? Check

Only minus is that he's a forward and not a dman

dh99

Apr 17, 2019
Fast forwards with offensive upside please! Was hoping for a longer cup run so I haven't really focuses on the draft at all. Anyone fit this build?

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Fast forwards with offensive upside please! Was hoping for a longer cup run so I haven't really focuses on the draft at all. Anyone fit this build?
Of course. I've mentioned quite a few over in the Prospects thread. Lately I've sort of narrowed it down to Leason, Dorofeyev, Brink, Tracey, Poulin or Tomasino but of course there may be others. Leason is older, a '99, that could play in Hershey next year. Dorofeyev is a heady Russian winger. Brink is a bit of a softer Oshie. Skating could maybe use some more explosion but loads of talent. Tracey & Poulin aren't blazing but have a lot of skill to build around. Tomasino is a really quick righty center that would check off a lot of organizational boxes. There's also Suzuki as a possible center in their range but he's more of a project I suspect. Those last four will be in action for Canada in the U18 semis on Saturday against Sweden. Brink will play for the US against Russia.

Reactions: 895 and dh99

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ilya Nikolayev would be an amazing pick. He is super overlooked due to playing in the MHL, he said Bergeron is role model and his favorite team is the Caps. He would be a perfect fit.
He needs to add another gear I think and maybe refine his body type a bit. Solid center and a potential Eller replacement but I think there will be higher upside options available. If they really want another center I could see it but for me he's more of an early second rounder. Not to be impatient but time is ticking with Ovechkin so you'd think they'd be most likely to take the most easily fast-tracked winger with substantial upside instead.

Reactions: JayBeagleFanAccount

Jun 15, 2007
He needs to add another gear I think and maybe refine his body type a bit. Solid center and a potential Eller replacement but I think there will be higher upside options available. If they really want another center I could see it but for me he's more of an early second rounder. Not to be impatient but time is ticking with Ovechkin so you'd think they'd be most likely to take the most easily fast-tracked winger with substantial upside instead.
Is Leason the most NHL ready considering age and size?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is Leason the most NHL ready considering age and size?
Probably Leason & Poulin, yes. Again, Leason having the advantage that he could play in the AHL next year as well. Though I maintain he's probably off the board by their pick. Anyone is very likely to be at least a year away from really contributing but those two are further along physically. Another option could be Afanasyev, who also could play in the AHL next season. He needs to round out his game and become more of a two-way player so he's a little further down for me but that eligibility could be attractive to them. He's got a big frame and is a finisher. Brink may be the furthest away physically among that group but could also have the most upside.

Another leftfield candidate could be Puistola, who produced against men and can finish. Even if they lock up Connolly they probably ought to be prioritizing finishing ability given the current lack of goal-scoring pedigree in the system.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Now that the U18s are over here's my final answer(s):

Tier One (11): Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Boldy, Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Caufield, Podkolzin, Zegras, Krebs
Tier Two (8): Broberg, Kaliyev, Knight, Lavoie, Newhook, Soderstrom, Harley, York
Tier Three (11): Leason, Dorofeyev, Brink, Tracey, Poulin, Tomasino, Kolyachonok, Puistola, Afanasyev, Seider, Heinola, Thomson

Tier Three extends from 20-31 closing out the first round with another group of eight worth first round consideration but less so. Then I have another big chunk through the rest of the second round, half of which are defensemen. At 25 I'd further narrow it down to wingers Leason, Dorofeyev, Brink or Tracey. At least one will very likely be available to them and I like their respective upsides. Poulin or Tomasino may be more fast-track type bottom sixers compared to Brink or maybe Tracey from a physical/compete standpoint but I'd shoot for the upside and retain their typical patient, long-term approach. Dorofeyev & Tracey aren't regularly ranked by all of the various scouting services in this area but McKenzie's final list during draft week remains the most reputable. We'll see where they come in at when the time comes but they've both got the skill set to build from to be dynamic skilled middle six wingers. One of them at 25 and then someone like Holmstrom, Nikolayev, Foote, Hoglander, Protas or Cajkovsky in the second round would be a good start in starting to build back up the system's offensive upside.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I’m not as smart on undrafted kids, but what about Suzuki or McMicheal? I really want an offensive playmaker, but best player available is not bad

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I’m not as smart on undrafted kids, but what about Suzuki or McMicheal? I really want an offensive playmaker, but best player available is not bad
I have them in that fringe first round group along with some other forwards like Nikolayev, Rees, Beecher, Nick Robertson and Pelletier. One can make a good case them and they could use centers down the line but I don't think they're quite as dynamic. Particularly considering what else is in the system I think dynamic offensive upside needs to be the primary objective, albeit not recklessly so.

Reactions: Corby78

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I have them in that fringe first round group along with some other forwards like Nikolayev, Rees, Beecher, Nick Robertson and Pelletier. One can make a good case them and they could use centers down the line but I don't think they're quite as dynamic. Particularly considering what else is in the system I think dynamic offensive upside needs to be the primary objective, albeit not recklessly so.

Langs, any update on players with high skill and potential - probably a Euro - that could be available for the Caps round one?

Thanks!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Langs, any update on players with high skill and potential - probably a Euro - that could be available for the Caps round one?
Leason's team has Game 1 of the WHL Final tonight for a spot in the Memorial Cup on the line. Halifax is hosting, meaning Lavoie is guaranteed to be there (though I suspect he goes top 20). Caps pick Kody Clark may be participating. He had two assists yesterday in Game 1 of the OHL Final.

Most everyone is done for the season now. There's the combine in about a month but I'm not sure it changes too much. McKenzie's final rankings the week before the draft are always a solid look at the landscape, although they were a bit less predictive last year. I would expect a stronger and deeper degree of tier separation at 20 compared to last year and from there it revolves around which among that third tier group are off the board. YMMV but it's why at 25 I'd narrow it further to those four winger all things considered, though other options like Tomasino or Puistola are also pretty solid. As is Suzuki if they think they can coach him up so it's fair to say they're likely to have a good selection to chose from no matter how the draft falls in front of them. One would hope still there's a run on defensemen between 12-20, that Knight goes pretty early and that there's maybe a few more D off the board in the early 20's but there's enough forward depth either way to have a quality forward there at 25 for them.

Best case could be someone like Kaliyev or Lavoie somehow sliding. A worst case of Suzuki, Poulin or Puistola is not so bad and I suspect they'll have more quality to choose from than that.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sportsnet May rankings.

Some thoughts: Boldy & Caufield still seem a bit low. I guess I get it but, man, they're good. Interesting note on Afanasyev rising. I've considered him too raw to be the pick but if they're sold on the upside....Seider will play for Germany in the WC, only the tenth 18yo D ever to do so. Holmstrom may be the other riser option, though I'm not entirely sold. No Dorofeyev or Brink/Tracey/Kolyachonok even after the U18s.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Washington's 2019 picks:
1st
2nd
4th
Detroit's 5th (Jensen)
7th

Traded:
3rd-Los Angeles (Hagelin)
5th-Jerabek trade, I think Minnesota has the pick..
6th- Vancouver (traded for 6th rounder last year)

Is Samuel Fagemo worth looking into? 5'11 195lb right handed winger. He's won championships and medals for Frölunda and in tournaments for Sweden, and his numbers look pretty good everywhere he's played. He's an overager (just turned 19), undrafted last year, mock drafts I've seen have him anywhere from late 1st round to early 3rd. Could be worth it if he's a little more ready for North America.
Marcus Kallionkieli is only half Finnish (Brazilian), so maybe that's enough for the Caps to put their bias aside? Late 2nd - mid 3rd in most mocks. 6'2 192, listed as Centre and Left wing. Still a bit wet behind the ears but impressive numbers his first year over here with Sioux City (USHL) 58-29-24-53, some really good numbers and success back in Finland.
Nando Eggenberger. Yeah, maybe a longshot...turns 20 on October and like Fagemo, went undrafted last year. 59-25-22-47, 15-5-3-8 playoffs with Oshawa. He likes to score and he wants to play, I've seen him going mid 3rd to late 4th, left handed winger, 6'2 200.
Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but Fagemo and Eggenberger could boost Hershey's offense short term, while hopefully competing for a spot with the Caps (3rd line) sooner than later. Kallionkieli would have a few years to develop and play his game.

Reactions: searle

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Fagemo would probably stay in the SHL for another season and is likely someone that goes between their first two picks. More forward quality in Hershey would be wise but with Snively, AJF, Sutter & Clark presumably as rookies next season I'm not sure they'll be comfortable icing a lineup of five or six rookie forwards. They could use the added speed and skill combination but my guess is they replace Barber or perhaps Walker/LOB with more proven, experienced players that could also be re-call worthy potentially.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Washington's 2019 picks:
1st
2nd
4th
Detroit's 5th (Jensen)
7th

Are the Caps likely to get any more picks? The most likely trade to get more picks are Burakovskys RFA rights for something if they cant keep him. Not many possibilities to trade something else for picks unless they decide to try one of the established guys for cap space and get some picks in return.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Are the Caps likely to get any more picks? The most likely trade to get more picks are Burakovskys RFA rights for something if they cant keep him. Not many possibilities to trade something else for picks unless they decide to try one of the established guys for cap space and get some picks in return.
I guess the additional picks would be via trade. Jersey has 2 2nds (BOS and NSH) and 2 3rds (ANA and DAL), and Detroit has 3 2nds, their own, NYI's and San Jose's. Devils will have a young core that might benefit from having a decent vet around, but I'm not sure if there's a deal to be made. The Wings will most likely lose Vanek, maybe Burakovsky would fit in there?

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I wonder if New Jersey would be interested in Niskanen, and if they feel like they're close enough to contending to justify give up picks for a veteran. I know they play a fast game, which isn't Nisky's strength anymore, but he can still move well enough to provide some stability and skill to their 2nd or 3rd pairing.

They have a pretty young D, not much in the way of right-D prospects that would be blocked, and plenty of cap space to absorb his contract for 2 more years.

I don't know what a decent trade would look like. Obviously they won't give up their first overall, but maybe 2 of their 2nd rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd, or some other combination of picks and a middling prospect. I'm bad at gauging trade values.

Mods, if more appropriate, feel free to move this to the Speculation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->