2019 NHL Draft, Pt. IV

Assuming Hughes Kakko Byram Turcotte gone, which of the following would you be happy with?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
You know, this might be the most realistic and probable mock draft I've seen to date.....the chances of both Turcotte and Zegras falling out of the top-10 is basically nil imo.

That would leave the Canucks with one of either Krebs or Soderstrom....could go either way....still hoping one of the top guys will fall though.
Soderstrom is TOO injury prone. Out again this time concussion. Stay away

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Wow, pole is really split. I’d be pretty much happy with anyone we’d take at this spot honestly.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Krebs with two goals today in the U-18. The better he plays, the more likely someone will take him before the Canucks do. :(
Keep hearing that about Krebs, Boldy, Newhook, Caulfield, Zegras, Etc

Were gonna get a frickin good player :nod:

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
If you get the chance, I have a few questions - could you ask him if he sees any of the forwards outside the top 2 being likely 1st liners; if he sees this as a good draft to grab a forward or a defensemen at around 10; how he compares the top D and which of them he likes most (besides Byram); if he sees any skaters (especially defensemen) in this draft having elite speed and skating at the NHL level outside of Hughes. And ask if he uses a system, or some specific criteria, for scouting prospects - like does he rate them 1 to 5 on each skill? I'm always curious about how scouts go about their scouting

I’m so sorry man I was on the radio all day at school and completely missed this !

I can text him and ask him if you want ?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Krebs with two goals today in the U-18. The better he plays, the more likely someone will take him before the Canucks do. :(

Which is fine because it pushes another name down. The worry before U18s was that Krebs was not on the level of the top9. That has changed. Now, there is a legitimate case that he could be picked up by EDM or ANA, or even earlier. This then shakes loose another player for #10.

I would be surprised if Zegras drops to the 10th pick, but that's who I would want there. The way things are shaping up, it's possible.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I wouldn’t be surprised if Krebs goes as high as 3rd overall. I would be stunned if he’s around at our pick.

Newhook seems like the likely pick for us. I don’t think we would pick Caufield at 10, I don’t think we would pick Podkolzin at 10 (I think Podkolzin could drop to late teens. A lot of question marks imo), and I believe Boldy will be gone.

I think for us it’ll be one of Newhook, Zegras, Soderstrom, or Cozens. I know Cozens seems like a long shot but I could see him as a potential faller and unlike Podkolzin, he’s a faller that would actually be of interest to our management.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I wouldn’t be surprised if Krebs goes as high as 3rd overall. I would be stunned if he’s around at our pick.

Newhook seems like the likely pick for us. I don’t think we would pick Caufield at 10, I don’t think we would pick Podkolzin at 10 (I think Podkolzin could drop to late teens. A lot of question marks imo), and I believe Boldy will be gone.

I think for us it’ll be one of Newhook, Zegras, Soderstrom, or Cozens. I know Cozens seems like a long shot but I could see him as a potential faller and unlike Podkolzin, he’s a faller that would actually be of interest to our management.

I totally agree with this take. They would sprint to the podium if Cozens where available

Reactions: Love

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I do think they are looking for speed and that would give Newhook the advantage. also think of the marketing $$ the Canucks would make off Newhook.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Absolutely agree with this right here. I think it's actually pretty close to how it will play out. Krebs and/or Caufield could jump into the top 9, which would mean someone is falling. If that faller is Podkolzin I think we go with Newhook. If it's anyone else I think we'll likely end up with the faller (i.e. Boldy, Cozens, Zegras, etc).

If it pans out on consensus we'll probably end up with Krebs or Newhook depending on preference.

The only possible complication is whether we have "a guy" like Pettersson. Brackett said they would have taken Pettersson in that draft at 1 OA, so if there's a guy we really want at 10 it may not matter who falls.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Which is fine because it pushes another name down. The worry before U18s was that Krebs was not on the level of the top9. That has changed. Now, there is a legitimate case that he could be picked up by EDM or ANA, or even earlier. This then shakes loose another player for #10.

I would be surprised if Zegras drops to the 10th pick, but that's who I would want there. The way things are shaping up, it's possible.

I think Krebs and Caufield have definitely seen their stock rise. Boldy and Turcotte probably firmly entrenching themselves in the top 10 as well. Because of that, and because of the Russian factor, I can see Podkolzin being a faller. The other faller is a bit more difficult to determine. Could be Dach, could be Zegras. Could still be Krebs or Boldy because they are wingers.

I still probably take Newhook at this point. His play at the U18's, coupled with another dominant performance in the BCHL and the fact that he's committed to a strong NCAA program with other good players tells me he's a very good prospect whose stock will only continue to rise in the future. Newhook has great speed and can play both C and LW.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
with our above average scouting dept, I wonder if trading up a few spots benefits us the most?

With the pool being as fluid as it is right now btw 3-11, recency biases and all, this is when the top scouting depts/GM really have to shine. Trading up to snag the correct faller with the least amount of assets expanded is crucial, I give the benefit of doubt that Benning's team can identity the correct guy, its the assets expanded part with that doofus that gives me cold sweat. to jump from 10 to 7 with Buffalo would probably cost us a prospect or a second rounder, but the difference could be franchise changing with this many variables. Such an interesting year.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I think if Byram goes #3 to Chicago, another team is going to pick up Soderstrom before us. We know how much teams value D and I have a hard time seeing BB being the only dman in the top 10. Would be perfect for us because that means one of the forwards would drop to us

I could see the Oilers picking Soderstrom or Broberg tbh

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think if Byram goes #3 to Chicago, another team is going to pick up Soderstrom before us. We know how much teams value D and I have a hard time seeing BB being the only dman in the top 10. Would be perfect for us because that means one of the forwards would drop to us

I could see the Oilers picking Soderstrom or Broberg tbh
I thought they would go for Boldy, maybe Caulfield

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I thought they would go for Boldy, maybe Caulfield

They might, but we see year after year where teams prioritize drafting dmen and centers so I could see wingers like Boldy and Caufield getting passed on.

Plus a Broberg-Bouchard pairing would be pretty sweet for the Oil in a few years

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Playmaking skill sure. Zegras is flashy with his passing. But Newhook brings more outside of just playmaking or flashy passing.

I know we dont see eye to eye on this and we will see who is right or wrong after the draft and i disagree zegras is passing he is also a good skater with a good defensive game, but i disagree with this again, and judging teenagers based on other aspects of there game outside of skill imo is very hard to predict. Its so difficult for many of those aspects to translate from teenage leagues to the nhl level.

And i like newhook.

Last edited:

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I'm hoping Zegras and Podkolzin are chosen ahead of 10th so that the other options are more likely to be available.

Something like this.

1. Hughes (the Devils seem focused on selecting him) [New Jersey]
2. Kakko (the obvious choice if still available) [New York Rangers]
3. Turcotte (gifted offensively, tenacious center, from Illinois) [Chicago]
4. Newhook (fast, powerful in a straight line like other Avalanche players; successful BCHL player a la Tyson Jost) [Colorado]
5. Krebs (smart east-west playmaker, talented center) [Los Angeles]
6. Podkolzin (defensive winger with offensive skill; a dropper a la Zadina; a complement to Zadina's all-offense style; Yzerman likes Russian players) [Detroit]
7. Byram (the Sabres need defence, and Byram is the best available) [Buffalo]
8. Dach (talented stickhandler, playmaker, tall, from Edmonton; would be considered a faller) [Edmonton]
9. Zegras or Cozens (they have the option of the quick, playmaking center or the quick, big, two-way center; Cozens would be another faller) [Anaheim]
10. Caufield (the obvious choice if he is available -- a smaller Brock Boeser) [Vancouver]

If all goes well in our favor, in my opinion, this is how the draft choices should occur.

If any of Newhook, Krebs, or Caufield fall into 10th position, I will be very pleased.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad