2019 NHL Draft, Pt. IV

Assuming Hughes Kakko Byram Turcotte gone, which of the following would you be happy with?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I trust in Judd Brackett to take the BPA. Hopefully if Benning is still here, he just lets Judd run the whole draft, including 1st round. I could see Benning taking a guy like Soderstrom over Boldy/Newhook/Caufield/Podkolzin (if he drops).

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
I trust in Judd Brackett to take the BPA. Hopefully if Benning is still here, he just lets Judd run the whole draft, including 1st round. I could see Benning taking a guy like Soderstrom over Boldy/Newhook/Caufield/Podkolzin (if he drops).
Here is a new wrinkle I have not seen yet.
Seeing the draft is in Vancouver, I would like see Benning try to trade to get the 4th, to pick Byram. I see Byram as just the kind of defenseman Vancouver needs. I am not advocating doing something stupid to get him. However, perhaps Virtanen (scares me saying that) and their 10th would do it?
I don’t think we have seen the best of Virtanen yet. However, I have a very good feeling about Byram and think he is going to be very good. Quinn Hughes and Byram could be Vancouver’s best defensemen in a few years.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
It was Canuckfan75 who said they'll pick Boldy if he's there and that poster has been right on our last 3 first round selections.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What reports are these? All you've listed is a quote where Botchford explicitly presents the idea as his opinion with no indication he heard the sentiment from the team.

"I do believe they will prioritize speed" and "I'm not sure he [Boldy] will meet what the Canucks are looking for". How does he suppose this without any indication whatsoever from his sources? Where does he get that they will prioritize speed?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
"I do believe they will prioritize speed" and "I'm not sure he [Boldy] will meet what the Canucks are looking for". How does he suppose this without any indication whatsoever from his sources? Where does he get that they will prioritize speed?
He explicitly states it's a belief, and at no point ever mentions that he's heard any of this from a source, which he invariably does and has every incentive to do when he has one. I know you understand the conventions of language that suggest you're incorrect here and I've seen you use them against similar claims when they happen to contradict your views.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
No. I forget who he said in 2017 but Bouchard was the guy he said last year. Got Juolevi right though.

He said Hughes was going to be the pick on either draft day or the day before.

looking back he was saying Bouchard was going to be the pick a lot though

Last edited:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Here is a new wrinkle I have not seen yet.
Seeing the draft is in Vancouver, I would like see Benning try to trade to get the 4th, to pick Byram. I see Byram as just the kind of defenseman Vancouver needs. I am not advocating doing something stupid to get him. However, perhaps Virtanen (scares me saying that) and their 10th would do it?
I don’t think we have seen the best of Virtanen yet. However, I have a very good feeling about Byram and think he is going to be very good. Quinn Hughes and Byram could be Vancouver’s best defensemen in a few years.
I would do Virtanen + 10th in a heartbeat for #4, but it wouldn't come close to what Colorado would want for it. I also wouldn't want to overpay for #4 either. I like Byram a lot and would trade up to get him if the price was right, but I don't think it will be right. A team moving back 6 spots in the top 10 would take something fairly significant. Not an A prospect, but a B prospect + a 2nd at least, and the Canucks should not be trading prospects or picks. Virtanen would be lucky to be a productive 3rd liner going forward. He's more likely a good 4th liner.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I would do Virtanen + 10th in a heartbeat for #4, but it wouldn't come close to what Colorado would want for it. I also wouldn't want to overpay for #4 either. I like Byram a lot and would trade up to get him if the price was right, but I don't think it will be right. A team moving back 6 spots in the top 10 would take something fairly significant. Not an A prospect, but a B prospect + a 2nd at least, and the Canucks should not be trading prospects or picks. Virtanen would be lucky to be a productive 3rd liner going forward. He's more likely a good 4th liner.
He's a productive 3rd liner right now by any measure. You're correct that he and the 10th wouldn't return the 4th, though.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He explicitly states it's a belief, and at no point ever mentions that he's heard any of this from a source, which he invariably does and has every incentive to do when he has one. I know you understand the conventions of language that suggest you're incorrect here and I've seen you use them against similar claims when they happen to contradict your views.

I disagree that Botchford "invariably" says that he's heard things from a source. In fact, that's been one of the main anti-Botchford criticisms here.

I know you are smarter than this, and can understand that Botchford is not completely fabricating that the Canucks will target speed. You may want to mollify the pedantic argument on this one.

Yea he called the Juolevi and Hughes picks.

In 2017, said we wouldn't pick Mittelstadt. Between Glass and Pettersson pretty sure he said Pettersson was going to be the pick.

I thought it was Lawrence that said that they would not pick Mittelstadt/Vilardi?

I'll have to go back and look.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I disagree that Botchford "invariably" says that he's heard things from a source. In fact, that's been one of the main anti-Botchford criticisms here.

No, the criticism is that he never gives any clear indication, or even a general indication, where he claims to have heard things, just that he's heard them. In this case he categorically calls his statement a belief. In any case I know that trying to pin you down on this will produce more and more increasingly obscure qualifications of what you've said, so I won't bother.

I know you are smarter than this, and can understand that Botchford is not completely fabricating that the Canucks will target speed.
You're creating a strawman. I never claimed he fabricated anything.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
He's a productive 3rd liner right now by any measure. You're correct that he and the 10th wouldn't return the 4th, though.
I wouldn't say 'by any measure'. I don't think he's a good 3rd liner on a playoff team or cup contender. He's a 3rd liner on our team, sure. Maybe in terms of just point production you could say he produces at a third line rate, but I don't think overall, you can call him an everyday 3rd liner yet. There are teams, like the Islanders, that have guys like Clutterbuck and Cizikas on the 4th line that score around or above Virtanen's career high, and you could argue they bring much more overall to the game than Virtanen does. He has a ways to go before he can be classified as a 'productive 3rd liner' yet. I think it's pretty generous to call him that at this very moment. I think he could surely be a useful 3rd line player, but he has to figure things out.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
watching Vegas right now, they mentioned that Mcphees mandate was just to pick players (expansion draft) who can skate, and in honesty that stradegy paid off, not only did they make it to the finals with fast players but also outplaying San Jose. Of course, there is more to a team then just a bunch of "fast" guys.

Alex Newhook, Zegras and Krebs are fast guys, Boldy is not a fast guy but awesome shooter too. Newhook is on my hit list now.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
No, the criticism is that he never gives any clear indication, or even a general indication, where he claims to have heard things, just that he's heard them. In this case he categorically calls his statement a belief. In any case I know that trying to pin you down on this will produce more and more increasingly obscure qualifications of what you've said, so I won't bother.

You're creating a strawman. I never claimed he fabricated anything.

It's not a strawman. You would have to propose that his statements about the draft are completely devoid of _any_ insider knowledge whatsoever. We both know that's not likely to be the case, so why assume that he's speculating without a tether here? Why is he so matter of fact about the Canucks targeting speed? Why even mention speed? Where is he pulling that from?

Frankly, if you want to continue to believe that his opinion is completely devoid of any and all insider knowledge unless he says "I heard X", you can. I'm not stopping you. The least of my concerns here is to convince you either way.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
watching Vegas right now, they mentioned that Mcphees mandate was just to pick players (expansion draft) who can skate, and in honesty that stradegy paid off, not only did they make it to the finals with fast players but also outplaying San Jose. Of course, there is more to a team then just a bunch of "fast" guys.

Alex Newhook, Zegras and Krebs are fast guys, Boldy is not a fast guy but awesome shooter too. Newhook is on my hit list now.

Who are they taking Lawrence? I know you know.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I wouldn't say 'by any measure'. I don't think he's a good 3rd liner on a playoff team or cup contender. He's a 3rd liner on our team, sure. Maybe in terms of just point production you could say he produces at a third line rate, but I don't think overall, you can call him an everyday 3rd liner yet. There are teams, like the Islanders, that have guys like Clutterbuck and Cizikas on the 4th line that score around or above Virtanen's career high, and you could argue they bring much more overall to the game than Virtanen does. He has a ways to go before he can be classified as a 'productive 3rd liner' yet. I think it's pretty generous to call him that at this very moment. I think he could surely be a useful 3rd line player, but he has to figure things out.
A "good," i.e. above average, third liner on a good team isn't a measure -- it's a specific cohort of players that on average are better than players in the category -- 3rd liner -- you're excluding Virtanen from. 15 goals, 13 at even strength, with excellent zone entry skills is a 3rd liner on most teams, a 4th liner on a few.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
A "good," i.e. above average, third liner on a good team isn't a measure -- it's a specific cohort of players that on average are better than players in the category -- 3rd liner -- you're excluding Virtanen from. 15 goals, 13 at even strength, with excellent zone entry skills is a 3rd liner on most teams, a 4th liner on a few.
Again, you're just talking in terms of production. I think he produced like a decent 3rd liner last season, but I don't think overall, his play is at a 3rd line level yet. I think there were long stretches last season where he was actually a fairly useless player. A 3rd liner needs to be both defensively responsible and provide energy. Virtanen does that sometimes, but not consistently enough to be called a 3rd liner yet. He's a 4th/3rd line tweener atm, and there is no guarantee he figures it out, which is why I say he will likely top out as a 'good 4th liner'. Aka, an above average 4th liner. Even then, he has to more consistently be an energy guy. He has to be more physical and engaged; when he is, he can be a very effective tool to have on your team. When he's fluttering about and invisible, he's useless. He needs to be a consistent effective player, even when he's not scoring.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
It's not a strawman. You would have to propose that his statements about the draft are completely devoid of _any_ insider knowledge whatsoever. We both know that's not likely to be the case, so why assume that he's speculating without a tether here? Why is he so matter of fact about the Canucks targeting speed? Why even mention speed? Where is he pulling that from?

Because people believe things, and some people are paid to to broadcast these beliefs to interested members of the public. They sometimes refer to these things as beliefs, as Botchford does here. (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I've had Newhook ranked high all year. He gets less attention because he played in the BCHL, but he absolutely dominated the league. I like that he's going to a good college program, and will have other good players around him (he'll be Boldy's linemate most likely). If he were American and thus playing with the USNTDP he'd be right up there with Turcotte. I especially like that he can play C or LW, and his speed is something this core group lacks.

Reactions: lawrence

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Because people believe things, and some people are paid to to broadcast these beliefs to interested members of the public. They sometimes refer to these things as beliefs, as Botchford does here. (mod)

So your position is that Botchford's belief here is completely separated from any insider knowledge he may have on the Canucks' draft strategy, right? Even when he says that they are looking for speed? All him and nothing from the organization. Gotcha.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Byram is actually struggling in relative to his standards during this WHL semis battle vs Spokane.

I was at both Friday and sat game at LEC and Byram was very very average.

Could just be the long season.

Ps there was about 100 scouts there carrying a clipboard.

Giants up 2-1 in series btw

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County

Virtanen is an incredible skater. Maybe Vegas can trade for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad