2019 NHL Draft, Pt. IV

Assuming Hughes Kakko Byram Turcotte gone, which of the following would you be happy with?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
The On my way! Guy who answered all questions mad,s for me is Peyton Krebs.

The kid is a gamer, and his compete level is off the charts. Someone in the prospect forum threw out Jonathan Toews/Mike Richard, and the guy has a compete level that rivals those two. Add in his skating and playmaking, I just don’t see how the kid doesn’t produce at the NHL level.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

• Q? Who do you think has the highest ceiling in the draft outside of Hughes and Kakko?
  • A: Turcotte
  • Q: Who would you like seeing the Canucks draft?
  • A: They have so many needs up and down their lineup. There isn't one area that needs addressing before another. I think the dream scenario is Peyton Krebs being available to them
  • Q: Biggest bust potential?
  • A: Trevor Zegras
  • Q: Most overrated / underrated?
  • A: Zegras / Dorofeyev
  • Q: Who should Vancouver take in round 2?
  • A: Ryan Johnson, Shane Pinto, Alex Beaucage, Brett Leason
  • There is another knock on Caufield besides his size, and that's that his skating needs work (Caufield is #13 on Burke's list)
  • Thinks Fagemo will be there @ 72

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Byram is actually struggling in relative to his standards during this WHL semis battle vs Spokane.

I was at both Friday and sat game at LEC and Byram was very very average.

Could just be the long season.

Ps there was about 100 scouts there carrying a clipboard.

Giants up 2-1 in series btw

I've never been a big fan personally, would be surprised if he turned into a #1 D. Moderate pace and poor defensively at this point in time. In general is very aggressive positionally for an above-average skater, and seems to have inconsistent interest in actually playing defense.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I would have no issue with Krebs per Burke's comments above. Somewhat surprised he thinks there is a chance he won't be there at 10 OA, but anything can happen at the draft.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
If JD says that Caufield's skating needs work then I dont want him at 10 spot.

It's a must that Caufield has above average to great skating if hes going to have any impact being that tiny.

The NHL is a skating league especially in the playoffs and Cole's skills wont translate completely if he can't improve his skating.

That's a big gamble at 10.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yep. I would be very satisfied with Krebs at pick 10. I don't think Boldy makes it to 10, and the more scouting reports I read on defensemen...I think a forward is just naturally going to be the best bet.

Krebs reminds me of a playmaker version of Horvat. Perfect fit.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Krebs or Newhook for me at 10. I want skill and SPEED on this team, great skaters. Boldy would be fine too if he is there. I don't think Krebs gets past Oilers at 8.

Reactions: Tv9924 and TruGr1t

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
No. I forget who he said in 2017 but Bouchard was the guy he said last year. Got Juolevi right though.

He had Bouchard up until the day before the draft when he said Hughes would be available and that he'd be the guy. Guessing that's when they got some insight of Arizona passing on Zadina and Detroit taking him over Hughes. Got Pettersson right too IIRC.

Would be fine with Boldy as the pick if the streak continues.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Podkolzin is still on the board at #10, then Jimbo is sprinting to the podium....kid has been entrenched at #3 on the draft board for most of the season....and I don't place much stock on the under-17 world tournament.

But if he drops, Jimbo needs to roll the dice on the talented Russian.

Reactions: DFAC

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If Podkolzin is still on the board at #10, then Jimbo is sprinting to the podium....kid has been entrenched at #3 on the draft board for most of the season....and I don't place much stock on the under-17 world tournament.

Agreed, doesn't matter if he busts, that's a high value pick at #10 and one that you gamble with.

Reactions: Szechwan

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I think there's a moderately good chance of that, actually. I wouldn't be surprised to see the top nine go: Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte, Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Boldy, Krebs.

Podkolzin could even fall beyond our pick if we like someone more and/or have issue with the Russian factor.

Feb 19, 2018
No matter who we pick I’ll be happy in this years draft. Looks like 12/14 guys could go in any order and whoever we choose I’ll trust our scouting staff did their homework.
If we choose from the USA program’s or Sweden I’ll be content just due to our history of success with the picks and if we draft out of Russia we got the biggest faller in the first round.
Any of the top 10 Canadian forwards are great choices as well.

Excited to see how this plays out!!!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
We should do a mock draft and get awarded points for getting a player dead on, one off, or two off, like they do in the main prospects board. I did good on one of the years, think it was 2016 or 17, and awful last year :laugh:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
watching this makes me want Zegras:

I see an outside chance of him still being there at 10

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
watching this makes me want Zegras:

I see an outside chance of him still being there at 10

Zegras is the boom/bust player in the top10 per multiple sources. I see the flaws in his game, but he is just so talented and skilled that I'm willing to overlook them. Hope he drops to #10.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Zegras is the boom/bust player in the top10 per multiple sources. I see the flaws in his game, but he is just so talented and skilled that I'm willing to overlook them. Hope he drops to #10.
Thats what ive seen too. Def not a safe pick but good chance could be a redraft RISER

Nov 1, 2011
I would do Virtanen + 10th in a heartbeat for #4, but it wouldn't come close to what Colorado would want for it. I also wouldn't want to overpay for #4 either. I like Byram a lot and would trade up to get him if the price was right, but I don't think it will be right. A team moving back 6 spots in the top 10 would take something fairly significant. Not an A prospect, but a B prospect + a 2nd at least, and the Canucks should not be trading prospects or picks. Virtanen would be lucky to be a productive 3rd liner going forward. He's more likely a good 4th liner.

I wouldn't do it. There seems to be no real difference between 4 and 10.

Guys are ranked all around that spot, think Byram is likely the worst in the top 10...unless Caufield is in there.

There will almost certainly be a normal sized high end scoring forward available at 10 of the same quality as one available at 4.

Turcotte vs Cozens vs Dach vs Podkolzin vs Zegras vs Krebs vs Boldy vs Newhook is a real toss up to me.

Assuming Hughes, Kakko, Byram and (possibly) Caufield are gone, we'll get to pick between 2 or 3 of them and all the forwards listed in the paragraph above are more or less all equal in my mind. Wouldn't trade a 3rd to move up to #4.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
JD is good with numbers, so when i seen he made a list, i asked him what analytic data he looked into, he said it was the eye test with zegras. No offense to JD but I would have considered his opinion more if he had some data. I trust very few media members eye test's when it comes to scouting.

Thankfully cam robinson who is one of the few media members rankings I enjoy had zegras at 4. I would love for him to be available at 10.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
10 is a good spot for Zegras. If we were picking 8 or 7 maybe not but at 10 I am ok. Personally I like krebs a lot, as his heart and determination mix with horvat heart and determination can help us in the playoffs with their drive. Zegras seems to be like a Hemsky type player. Seeing Vegas outplay San Jose with their speed and the same with the Avs using speed to beat Calgary I am tempted to want Alex new hook.

Not liking the idea of a dman this draft.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
10 is a good spot for Zegras. If we were picking 8 or 7 maybe not but at 10 I am ok. Personally I like krebs a lot, as his heart and determination mix with horvat heart and determination can help us in the playoffs with their drive. Zegras seems to be like a Hemsky type player. Seeing Vegas outplay San Jose with their speed and the same with the Avs using speed to beat Calgary I am tempted to want Alex new hook.

Not liking the idea of a dman this draft.

Who do the Canucks take given the following are available?

Boldy, Zegras and Krebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad