Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft (ONLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
40-goal scorer Alex Debrincat is 5’7”. :naughty:

And they didn't draft him. Maye they will have some moment that will change the way they evaluate players, but I would bet heavily against them drafting a 5'7" player in the first

Well this team obviously does not go by the BPA philosophy.

I disagree. They draft BPA, but they draft BPA based on their scouting list, not BPA based on the redline list, or BPA based on some other published list

Puck Watcher

Jan 9, 2019
New Jersey
Has anybody seen Bobby Brink play? Seems like he has shot up the draft boards this season. Could be a good choice for a pick if they are looking for a RW.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Big fan of Anttoni Honka and would love to see the Bruins end up with him. 5’10” fleet-footed, puck-moving RHD. Surgical in his passing and can really move well out there. He’s Finnish, has upside and skates well. He needs to put on weight and work on a few things, but he looks like he’ll become a solid, top-four guy down the road.

Not sure if he’ll be there or not, but he’s certainly near the top of my list of favorites in this draft.
His rankings are all over the place, from 16 to outside the top 50,exactly the type Boston likes...

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Well this team obviously does not go by the BPA philosophy.

NHL teams don't always go by TSN's BPA you know. Their BPA may be entirely different to what you think the BPA in the draft is.

This is why you see guys fall in the draft sometimes. That team liked one player just a bit more.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
NHL teams don't always go by TSN's BPA you know. Their BPA may be entirely different to what you think the BPA in the draft is.

This is why you see guys fall in the draft sometimes. That team liked one player just a bit more.

Very true. One of the original draft mavens once told me that I'd be shocked how much these lists differ than what you see in the "mainstream" media after the first ten players or so.

The interview process is huge for some of these GM's. A couple "wrong" answers or body language (GM's can be wrong of course) and that kid is off the list, unless they fall a round or two.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Bruins need to draft centers with an offensive upside first, teach the other end of the ice later

There are a couple near where our 1st pick should be. Both have good size and are Cs. I'll let you look them up.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
There are a couple near where our 1st pick should be. Both have good size and are Cs. I'll let you look them up.
I can make it easy for them,if they have NTDP after their name Boston is very interested
USHL,Finland,Sweden Czech republic, them too

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA

I understand that. I guess when someone says BPA I view it more like Best Consensus Player Available. It’s been a while since I’ve seen them do that. Maybe Malcom Subban?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I understand that. I guess when someone says BPA I view it more like Best Consensus Player Available. It’s been a while since I’ve seen them do that. Maybe Malcom Subban?

I would think Pasta was . McAvoy was close (maybe Chychrun was higher in pre rankings, but he was dropping hard before the draft).

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Always BPA.
Theyre meat. Chips to be used for whatever needed.

A teams entire makeup by position can change by extreme measures in two to three years.

BPA

The thing is though that when you are picking where they are picking, there is no definitive BPA.

So if you're picking say 25th and you have a couple of guys there you value the same and one is a forward and the other is a d, you definitely look at your prospect pool and say to yourself "we'll take player X because we are loaded at position Y"

BruinsNetwork

I can make it easy for them,if they have NTDP after their name Boston is very interested

This is easily the best USNTDP team I’ve ever seen, too.

Reactions: TCB

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Wait you didn't list the CHL...........oh right
The NTDP class is impressive but I would like to see some CHL players drafted, ideally WHL, with old school attitudes and a mean streak who can score. Also fast and big. Good fighter. Idolizes Cam Neely and Eric Lindros.

I'm sure several will be there between 24-31.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think BPA is a misnomer. It's really best grade available, and positional value and team (style) fit are a piece of that. As fans, we all want them to take the most talented player available, but unfortunately the human factor exists, and physical gifts are often not the deciding factor for whether a player succeeds or not.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Wait you didn't list the CHL...........oh right
The NTDP class is impressive but I would like to see some CHL players drafted, ideally WHL, with old school attitudes and a mean streak who can score. Also fast and big. Good fighter. Idolizes Cam Neely and Eric Lindros.

I'm sure several will be there between 24-31.
Doubt that guy would last past 5 nevermind 24

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don’t think this brass subscribed to the BPA theory though, do they?

the two times they seemed to go BPA resulted in Pasta and McAvoy. They tend to go towards fits and even position IMO.

They certainly did in the first round of draft that must not be named. I think Sweeney was trying to put a stamp on the org by grabbing some physical scoring wingers and a physical D in 2015.

But since then? I don't think it's so clear. They HAVE drafted a lot of D men in the first two rounds. A lot! But, I'm not sure if that is them thinking "we have an organizational shortage at D and D take longer", or if they were just BPA.

My fingers are crossed the BPA is a center or a right winger with some size... but take BPA, even if its LD.

Unless its a goalie... please don't take a goalie in the first round.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Since GM DS took over, he has taken a D first every year.
2015 - Zboril
2016 - McAvoy
2017 - Vaakainen
2018 - Andersson (2nd round)

Will he deviate? Is this a genuine philosophical bent? Will there be a trade?

Assuming just the Bruins late 1st round pick, I will choose 2 players, a D and a C, that they might take. My guess is that there will be a run on US NTDP players in the mid 1st round so they won't be available but one of these two will still be there.
D - Tobias Bjornfot - 6' LD in Sweden. Scouting reports state he's a fluid skater, big minutes, complete defender.
C - Philip Tomasino - 6' RC in Niagara playing on same team as Studnicka. He's a fast 2-way C.

My preference is Tomasino but assuming Niagara advances tonight and he continues to lead them in playoff scoring, he will shoot up the 1st round the way Hayton did last year. He might only be available if the Bruins make a draft day trade.

Reactions: bbfan419

aguineapig

For purely sentimental reasons would love to see the B's pick up Bobby Brink in honor of Bob Brinker whose radio program Moneytalk ended last fall. Originated on Super Bowl Sunday 1986 Da Bears beating our Pats, the broadcast was on weekend afternoons for years and Sunday only the last several. Many afternoon B's game muted while Da Brink as he was called taught many Starship Moneytalk listerners how "YOU can be your own financial manager.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Since GM DS took over, he has taken a D first every year.
2015 - Zboril
2016 - McAvoy
2017 - Vaakainen
2018 - Andersson (2nd round)

Will he deviate? Is this a genuine philosophical bent? Will there be a trade?

Assuming just the Bruins late 1st round pick, I will choose 2 players, a D and a C, that they might take. My guess is that there will be a run on US NTDP players in the mid 1st round so they won't be available but one of these two will still be there.
D - Tobias Bjornfot - 6' LD in Sweden. Scouting reports state he's a fluid skater, big minutes, complete defender.
C - Philip Tomasino - 6' RC in Niagara playing on same team as Studnicka. He's a fast 2-way C.

My preference is Tomasino but assuming Niagara advances tonight and he continues to lead them in playoff scoring, he will shoot up the 1st round the way Hayton did last year. He might only be available if the Bruins make a draft day trade.

I prefer the easy way.

St Cloud State eliminated in NCAA hockey tonight. Jimmy Schuldt is a UFA. There's your defenceman. Then draft a forward.

Reactions: 00BW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad