Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft (ONLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Wondering what the strength of the 25th-30th ranked players are. Would be great to get another Pasta quality player that late, but not counting on it.

Reactions: bbfan419

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
This will be the worst draft ever from the OHL,, and considering this is a strong draft class, it's saying a ton.

It's early, but the only 3 names I'm interested in right now for the Bruins from the OHL are:

Ryan Suzuki - if you are looking for a playmaking center that isn't going to score a lot

Arthur Kaliyev - if you are looking for a pure sniper that plays the right side

Hunter Jones - if you are looking for a goaltender that has future number one written all over him
Dom what do you know about Matvei Guskov with London? Reports I have read say highly skilled C, could be a good pick for the B's?

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Haven't seen any of the prospects actually play, but based on metrics, I like the following C/W draft eligible prospects:

Connor McMichael
Jakob Pelletier

Both are projected anywhere in the 15-30 range, but both are also trending up.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Would be pretty nice to make two picks after missing last year and most likely having a bust from 2016

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Would be pretty nice to make two picks after missing last year and most likely having a bust from 2016

They didn't miss last year as they didn't have a pick and Frederic isn't a bust. Chill the f*** out. Don't premature all over the place because Frederic didn't come up and light the world on fire in his first NHL stint. Can't stand garbage takes like this.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
They didn't miss last year as they didn't have a pick and Frederic isn't a bust. Chill the **** out. Don't premature all over the place because Frederic didn't come up and light the world on fire in his first NHL stint. Can't stand garbage takes like this.
They didn't miss their pick last year?

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Haven’t really kept up with this draft a whole ton, need to do more research. But one guy I saw some highlights of that caught my eye was RW Albin Grewe.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
They didn't miss their pick last year?

Oh you meant miss it as wishing they had it. My mistake. Funny that's the only thing you responded to with what I said haha.

Mind chiming in on your hot take that Frederic is a bust after 11 NHL games or do you only respond to the easy stuff?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
that`s where my money is and I have big time mixed feelings, an unapologetic Krug fan here
Same here, would hate to see Krug go, but if his next contract is going to be in the $7M AAV range then the time to deal him will be this summer before or at the draft.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Haven't seen any of the prospects actually play, but based on metrics, I like the following C/W draft eligible prospects:

Connor McMichael
Jakob Pelletier

Both are projected anywhere in the 15-30 range, but both are also trending up.
I see Pelletier play a lot, smaller guy, but lots of fire in his play and pretty skilled as well.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Oh you meant miss it as wishing they had it. My mistake. Funny that's the only thing you responded to with what I said haha.

Mind chiming in on your hot take that Frederic is a bust after 11 NHL games or do you only respond to the easy stuff?
Frederic was projected as a 3rd line type and lower on the NA rankings than DeBrincat so I'll forever be salty. Some people have 2015, I have 2016.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
So as I posted earlier the main areas of need are a RW and a C that has 1st line upside. Right now the Bruins have Senyshyn, Steen, Kuhlman, and Becker as the only RW prospects. As for center they have a bunch but mostly guys that look like they would be 2nd liners at best. I see Hughes and Studnicka as the ones with the greatest upside at the moment with Frederic and JFK right behind them. Following those 2 areas I would say it is between G and RHD for the next need. They have Vladar, Swayman, and Keyser. As for the RHD they have Andersson, Bukac, Berglund, Clifton, and Clarke. As for where they will be picking in the first round I see 25 to 31 at the moment. With that looking at their needs I will get rid of RHD since they will be looking for a 3rd pairing type guy which I think one of them can be and I will get rid of G since there is none that highly rated at the moment. That leaves RW and C. For RW the individuals that I like that will be projected in the later half are Nathan Legare, Arthur Kaliyev, Cole Caufield, and Albin Grewe. For C there is Ryan Suzuki, Connor McMichael, Philip Tomasino, Alex Newhook, Brett Leason, Raphael Lavoie, and Robert Mastrosimone. I see a lot of choices that could end up being good for the Bruins.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Estlin

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
This is RedLines 21 -31 for February
21. Sam Poulin LW Sherbrooke
22. Cole Caulfield RW NTDP
23. Nathan Legare RW Baie-Comeau
24. Bobby Brink RW Sioux City
25. Bowen Byram D Vancouver
26. Trevor Zegras C NTDP
27. Vlad Kolyachonok D Flint
28. Alex Vlasic D NTDP
29. Ville Heinola D Lukko Rauma
30. Jakob Pelletier C Moncton
31. Matvey Guskov C London

35 Spencer Knight G NTDP

loozer

Nov 2, 2007
Bay Area
So as I posted earlier the main areas of need are a RW and a C that has 1st line upside. Right now the Bruins have Senyshyn, Steen, Kuhlman, and Becker as the only RW prospects. As for center they have a bunch but mostly guys that look like they would be 2nd liners at best. I see Hughes and Studnicka as the ones with the greatest upside at the moment with Frederic and JFK right behind them. Following those 2 areas I would say it is between G and RHD for the next need. They have Vladar, Swayman, and Keyser. As for the RHD they have Andersson, Bukac, Berglund, Clifton, and Clarke. As for where they will be picking in the first round I see 25 to 31 at the moment. With that looking at their needs I will get rid of RHD since they will be looking for a 3rd pairing type guy which I think one of them can be and I will get rid of G since there is none that highly rated at the moment. That leaves RW and C. For RW the individuals that I like that will be projected in the later half are Nathan Legare, Arthur Kaliyev, Cole Caufield, and Albin Grewe. For C there is Ryan Suzuki, Connor McMichael, Philip Tomasino, Alex Newhook, Brett Leason, Raphael Lavoie, and Robert Mastrosimone. I see a lot of choices that could end up being good for the Bruins.

I'd be surprised if Kaliyev, Suzuki, or Newhook lasted that long. Kaliyev and Newhook, are both tearing up their respective leagues, and Suzuki I've still seen ranked in the early teens, and from what I've read is acquitting himself well. You never know, but I think any of those three falling would be surprising. Cole Caulfield seems interesting, is he Alex Debrincat, or is he Jeremy Bracco/Rocco Grimaldi? I think Brett Leason is one of the more interesting names in that list. I'm not sure he has the home run quality that some other prospects may have, but watching him play at the WJC and watching highlights of the Raiders, he certainly has that speed and size the Bruins front office craves, if not the aggression. He's also probably a bit closer, which works better for the B's timeline.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Zipped literally down the street from my place to catch my first BCHL game a month or so ago and it was terrific. The best part of these games are you see Scouts in the barn as they can`t hide up high in press boxes. Nobody was wearing anything that would help me identify them but I saw at least a half dozen grown men who were constantly writing down stuff on clipboards so unless there`s a bizarre trend in BC for grown men doing this, I`ll assume they are scouts, can`t confirm if they are Junior or NHL scouts though

Now, onto Newhook who moved literally from the Eastern most coast in Nfld to Victoria, kid has an absolute burst of a few first strides, excellent vision with the puck, went to any and all dirty areas to make a play. He was THE player on the Grizz that you noticed immediately.

I`m not a scout (loads of evidence on the boards here proving that) so I can`t project but if there is an area he will need to address it might be adding some bulk, kid never hesitates to mix it up in the corners/front of the net but a few times was pushed off the puck from bigger opponents. Real exciting player to watch now, have since seen 2 more Grizzly games and he was just as noticeable in those too.

For those in Boston, the guy sitting next to me said he`s committed to BC next year so enjoy

I have sent Sweeney my resume outlining the areas of need I will require to be trained on in order to properly work as the BC scout, no return email as of this time:sarcasm:
they may have been US College scouts too, a lot of BCHL guys end up playing college in the states

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
got a gut feeling DS will trade someone this summer, return a first pick, one that is higher than the B`s currently hold giving him 2 picks in round 1

Only logical person in the sense on the roster right now would be krug.

Let Vaak replace krug on the left side. McAvoy takes over PP1, gryz PP2 and also allows bruins to sign all their RFAs while maybe retaining Johansson or signing a relatively cheap 3rd line free agent.

Reactions: sarge88

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
they may have been US College scouts too, a lot of BCHL guys end up playing college in the states

very true, could be, lots of big clipboards there for sure. I didn`t realize how heavily scouted the BCHL games are, the 3 I`ve gone to have all had more than a few there. It`s really entertaining hockey too which is sweet. I love the NHL but my heart always has been and always will be Junior hockey, just love it

PlinySR

Oct 12, 2017
New England
Albin Grewe has my vote if he's available when we pick. Aggressive agitator with a good shot and impressive puck-handling ability. Not really NHL ready from what I've seen of him (probably at least 2 years out), but I could definetly see him turning into a Marchand-esque RW with a mean streak.

As a side note, while I agree that Krug is probably the odd man out if cap space is needed for CMac and a RW (if no internal solutions present themselves), I still think the team would take a big hit if he left. He's a big part of the locker room, and one of the drivers of the most important unit on the team: the powerplay. Can MacAvoy really bring the same impact that Krug does offensively? Not sold there yet.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
This is RedLines 21 -31 for March
21. Sam Poulin LW Sherbrooke
22. Cole Caulfield RW NTDP
23. Nathan Legare RW Baie-Comeau
24. Bobby Brink RW Sioux City
25. Vlad Kolyachonok D Flint
26. Bowen Byram D Vancouver
27. Ville Heinola D Lukko Rauma
28. Alex Vlasic D NTDP
29. Jakob Pelletier C Moncton