Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft Lottery: Meet me at the corner of Disappointment and 10th (5:00 p.m. PST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Craig Button predicts that the Canucks will take Victor Soderstrom (D) at 10th spot. He's got a pretty good history with picking correctly with his mock drafts, so we'll see. I like that pick. Would be quite happy if he fell to us, but have a sneaking feeling Victor will go 8th or 9th.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
No, there really aren't. The entire point of the draft is to give the worst teams the best chance to improve by giving them the first crack at the best prospects.
And I'm saying it's a bad goal to make it a 1:1 ratio between how bad you are in the prior season and how high a pick you get. At the very least it should take more than the most recent season into account. It can help weaker teams without providing a completely perverse incentive against winning.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Well, to take some of the extreme tank logic... a win in this draft might have enabled us to add a player who could positively effect the team next year, boosting Benning's stock, causing him to get a contract extension instead of getting fired.

Hopefully we draft a guy who will be good, but will take a year or two to make the team... leading us to sucking again next year with pretty much the same crew... which will finally trigger the end of the Benning era.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Well, to take some of the extreme tank logic... a win in this draft might have enabled us to add a player who could positively effect the team next year, boosting Benning's stock, causing him to get a contract extension instead of getting fired.

Hopefully we draft a guy who will be good, but will take a year or two to make the team... leading us to sucking again next year with pretty much the same crew... which will finally trigger the end of the Benning era.

The long con. :sarcasm:

I mean, if we want to just keep amassing high draft picks in theory all we need to do is stand pat. Bring back the usual whipping boys, hell even trade for Gudbranson again and he can be our Tank Commander once again.

...even hoping for the tank though, we would still be looking to move on from those guys though, wouldn't we? Move on from Schaller, Granlund, Pouliot, maybe Motte... and big contracts like Eriksson and Gudbranson earlier. Put kids or cheap vets in those roles, and maybe we improve... or at least we save some cap space to possibly do something with.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Look at post 537. Tweet at 5:18PM (25 minutes before the reveal) showing partial results. Either I'm missing something or....
You’d think in 2019 that it would be a digital board rather than what they used.
The draw was done earlier in the day. Just the results were announced later. The draw is done in front of reps from EY who confirm the validity of the results.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think they should increase the draft odds of teams that finished near the bottom while limiting the number of times a team can win the lottery over a 3-5 year span.
The odds were much higher for the bad teams under the original lottery system between 1995 to 2014, with the exception of 2005. They changed the percentages for 2015 and onwards.

You can google what the percentages were for the 14 teams up to 2014. It’s a drastic change. Bottom 3 chances of winning went from 58% down to 43.5%.

In the 19 drafts under the old system only 3 times has a non top 5 seed won it. Since inception of this new lottery, non top 5 have won it 4/13 draws. I excluded Win and NYR who were #6 and won a lottery for #2 because they had the 5th best odds once Tor and NJ won #1 spot.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
You’d think in 2019 that it would be a digital board rather than what they used.
The draw was done earlier in the day. Just the results were announced later. The draw is done in front of reps from EY who confirm the validity of the results.
Sure. They have to have time to print the cards they used. But why did the NHL video board they showed on the broadcast come out earlier?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure. They have to have time to print the cards they used. But why did the NHL video board they showed on the broadcast come out earlier?
I’m sure they are all printed. It just needs to be arranged in the correct order. That’s why digital makes more sense. It can be adjusted in seconds.

They probably a dry run of the announcement to check for sound and lighting. Typical stuff.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Another top 10 pick added and the team should be terrible again next season, especially if Markstrom falters.

They were saved by a lot of shootout and OT wins this season. 22-36 in regulation.

Next year’s draft is absolutely stacked as well.
Lafreniere is a much better prospect than Hughes or Kakko.
I look forward to getting f***ed out of draft position next year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
wow, rangers with Kravstov, KK, Chytil and Andersson in 3 years.

And they started their rebuild three years after we did.

It's going to be hilarious when their new young core is making the playoffs while we're still at the bottom of the league.

Rangers are going to get an elite asset at this years draft, no question...I'm not convinced anything they've drafted yet could be considered 'home run ' picks...Are Chytil and Anderson projected true #1 centres?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It was only visible on Swedish satellite TV, which rebroadcasts the Sportsnet feed, but without commercials. While Canadian viewers were on a commercial break, the screen in question could be seen on Viasat behind a digital logo.

Reactions: iceburg

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It was only visible on Swedish satellite TV, which rebroadcasts the Sportsnet feed, but without commercials. While Canadian viewers were on a commercial break, the screen in question could be seen on Viasat behind a digital logo.

And it was hardly even a leak because it didn't gain traction until after the draft show.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Yes - losing the lotto will cause the GM to be fired. Makes sense

If the Canucks won the lottery, draft Jack Hughes and that gives the team just enough talent to squeeze into the playoffs for a quick 1st round sweep, yeah, Jimbo will probably get extended.

It'd be like some broke drug addict winning the lottery a few weeks before he completes his rehab and splurges all that money on more coke.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wasn't shocked the Canucks actually dropped a spot again in the lottery, but logic said the best they could pick was likely ninth anyway. And the Ducks, the team they just edged out in the standings also dropped into the ninth slot.

All in all, could have been worse I guess. Two best players in the draft, Hughes and Kakko will end up playing for Jersey and NY in the Eastern Conference. The Oilers didn't win the lottery and the Canucks have realistic options for another d-man at #10, which is what they clearly need anyway.

Biggest losers were the Av's who had the best chance of winning the lottery but drop to fourth. And at the end of the day the Sens might have made the best call last year. They opted for Brady Tkachuk instead of their first rounder this year (likely Dylan Cozens). But I guess only time will tell.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
All in all, could have been worse I guess. Two best players in the draft, Hughes and Kakko will end up playing for Jersey and NY in the Eastern Conference. The Oilers didn't win the lottery and the Canucks have realistic options for another d-man at #10, which is what they clearly need anyway.

Biggest losers were the Av's who had the best chance of winning the lottery but drop to fourth. And at the end of the day the Sens might have made the best call last year. They opted for Brady Tkachuk instead of their first rounder this year (likely Dylan Cozens). But I guess only time will tell.

this was the most incredible thing, Ottawa seriously lucked out on this.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Wasn't shocked the Canucks actually dropped a spot again in the lottery, but logic said the best they could pick was likely ninth anyway. And the Ducks, the team they just edged out in the standings also dropped into the ninth slot.

Biggest losers was LA who went from 2 to 5. Colorado made the playoffs. Any pick is a good pick for them.

Sam Girard +4th overall pick +playoffs for Matt freaking Duchene and Duchene will probably get overpaid this summer. Colorado still partying

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
At least we have a ton of USNTDP prospects coming up.

That is the silver lining here.

The USNTDP has become so sick over the last decade. I wish we could draft the entire U-18 team. Virtually that entire team has NHL potential with a ton of game breakers on it.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Benning Bros should be stoked on this result. Whoever we pick likely won’t play next season. So we’ll have a better chance at Lafreniere! If we had drafted someone like Hughes/Kakko then we wouldn’t have had as good a shot at lottery pick next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad