Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft Lottery: Meet me at the corner of Disappointment and 10th (5:00 p.m. PST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Oh jfc. Why even have a draft in that case. Why have the salary cap. Why even have any attempt to have any kind of parity in the league at all?
With a cap in place, you actually don't need a draft. But either way you haven't addressed any of my points. There are fairer ways to go about it than simply rewarding failure on a 1:1 ratio.

Reactions: daddyohsix

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
With a cap in place, you actually don't need a draft. But either way you haven't addressed any of my points. There are fairer ways to go about it than simply rewarding failure on a 1:1 ratio.
No, there really aren't. The entire point of the draft is to give the worst teams the best chance to improve by giving them the first crack at the best prospects. That's what it's always been about. This moronic lottery is swatting a fly with a Buick. They were so hysterical about the appearance of teams deliberately icing crap lineups they've totally f***ed the whole purpose of the system. And yeah, it royally pisses me off that under Gillis when the team was busy looking forward finding advantages and exploits within the system, and we were Public Enemy Number 1 in the media and court of public opinion. Now, when the team's crap and being crap as being as traditionally honest as it's possible to be, gamely fighting for all the garbage time loser points it can get with a gm who isn't even trying to sell expiring assets for draft picks...the system still screws us.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
1st overall pick hasn't moved in over 15 years, and it never moves more than 2-3 spots.

Trading up from 10 is A) not worth it for a prospect of this calibre and B) a good way to gut what scant depth this organization has and C) a total pipedream.

Stop talking about trading up. If anything we should think about trading down a few spots and picking up another 2nd.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No, there really aren't. The entire point of the draft is to give the worst teams the best chance to improve by giving them the first crack at the best prospects. That's what it's always been about. This moronic lottery is swatting a fly with a Buick. They were so hysterical about the appearance of teams deliberately icing crap lineups they've totally ****ed the whole purpose of the system. And yeah, it royally pisses me off that under Gillis when the team was busy looking forward finding advantages and exploits within the system, and we were Public Enemy Number 1 in the media and court of public opinion. Now, when the team's crap and being crap as being as traditionally honest as it's possible to be, gamely fighting for all the garbage time loser points it can get with a gm who isn't even trying to sell expiring assets for draft picks...the system still screws us.
NHL hated the scenes at arenas when bad teams were losing late in the season. The home fans were cheering against their team and booing them when they scored.

If the fans kept it on the down low then the NHL doesn’t make such swooping changes. But they hated the optics of fans cheering against their team.

What the NHL did that they should NOT have is adjust the percentages of winning the lottery. If you review the odds back in 2013 for the 14 teams compared to what it is now with 15 teams it’s insane how much they adjusted the odds.

25, 19, and 14 were the percentages of the bottom 3 before this adjustment went into effect in 2015 for McDavid. That totals 58%. This year it’s like 45% for the bottom 3. What was the need to drop them by 13%?

They used to give the 13th and 14th seeds less than 1% chance to win the lottery each.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
What the NHL did that they should NOT have is adjust the percentages of winning the lottery. If you review the odds back in 2013 for the 14 teams compared to what it is now with 15 teams it’s insane how much they adjusted the odds.

25, 19, and 14 were the percentages of the bottom 3 before this adjustment went into effect in 2015 for McDavid. That totals 58%. This year it’s like 45% for the bottom 3. What was the need to drop them by 13%?

They used to give the 13th and 14th seeds less than 1% chance to win the lottery each.

NBA is changing its draft lottery this year. Teams can now drop as many as four spots, and the team with the worst record will have only a 14% chance of winning 1st overall instead of the previous 25%-- the odds of the bottom 3 teams will now be equal.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I wonder what NJ would give up for Quinn Hughes?

Nobody's getting Hughes from us without giving a defenceman back.

Ty Smith put up a f***ton of points in his +1 and would obviously be the centerpiece but there'd have to be a big addition I reckon.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The 1 thing I didn’t want to happen was to move back. If we stayed at 9 I would’ve accepted it even though I think we deserved to win a lottery pick based on moving back the last 3 years.

f*** the NHL.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't know if this is some weird bias of mine due to the fact that we're finally not at the bottom of the standings but I think the idea of picks 1-15 being completely unweighed and random whilst reducing the UFA age to 23 or something would lead to NHL teams being significantly better managed which might be good for the league.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Honestly y’all are acting like it’s the end of the world.

This was a top 3 or nothing draft for us.

Hughes, Kakko, or Byram. The next tier of prospects have very similiar potential. I’m fine with #10.

Reactions: Var

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No, there really aren't. The entire point of the draft is to give the worst teams the best chance to improve by giving them the first crack at the best prospects. That's what it's always been about. This moronic lottery is swatting a fly with a Buick. They were so hysterical about the appearance of teams deliberately icing crap lineups they've totally ****ed the whole purpose of the system. And yeah, it royally pisses me off that under Gillis when the team was busy looking forward finding advantages and exploits within the system, and we were Public Enemy Number 1 in the media and court of public opinion. Now, when the team's crap and being crap as being as traditionally honest as it's possible to be, gamely fighting for all the garbage time loser points it can get with a gm who isn't even trying to sell expiring assets for draft picks...the system still screws us.

I think they should increase the draft odds of teams that finished near the bottom while limiting the number of times a team can win the lottery over a 3-5 year span.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I don't know if this is some weird bias of mine due to the fact that we're finally not at the bottom of the standings but I think the idea of picks 1-15 being completely unweighed and random whilst reducing the UFA age to 23 or something would lead to NHL teams being significantly better managed which might be good for the league.
UFA age of 25, or 5 year professional experience. Contract length limits of 7 years total, arbitration after 3, and possibly some time of franchise tag type of addition.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006

Budget teams would be screwed in this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->