Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft Lottery: Meet me at the corner of Disappointment and 10th (5:00 p.m. PST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Another top 10 pick added and the team should be terrible again next season, especially if Markstrom falters.

They were saved by a lot of shootout and OT wins this season. 22-36 in regulation.

Next year’s draft is absolutely stacked as well.
Lafreniere is a much better prospect than Hughes or Kakko.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
That same guy on twitter posts the same thing every year. It's not false, but there are thousands and thousands of winning combinations, doesn't really mean anything.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
When all is said and done there WILL be a player at 10th that can change our team. We just have to find him. But the opportunity is there.

I hope so to.

Cody Hodgson, and Luc Bourdon were our previous #10 picks. Lets hope this dude, whoever we pick will exceed them.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I'd much prefer a benign franchise like New Jersey over Edmonton, Los Angeles or Colorado. (Ironically New Jersey has been wildly successful from the 1990s onward, but as long as their fanbase remains niche it's pretty hard to get mad at them and I've always had a soft spot for them and the Islanders). Really annoying that the l

Getting mad at the lottery is pointless. The whole point is to disincentivize tanking and the lottery still doesn't do that because it isn't nearly random enough. I would much prefer that it be a toss-up among all non-playoff teams so that we don't have these awful late-season dilemmas we get every year as fans.

The counter to this is always "the worst teams need the help!" Even if you accept this proposition (which is not that obvious to me), this is still a competition, not a commune... why should there be a 1:1 ratio between help needed and help given? Not to mention, the most recent season is rarely the best barometer for who really needs the most help anyway, and it's nonsensical that being a middling team is worse than being a terrible team. Now you get the Kings/Blackhawks swinging wildly back and forth and it's not like they're doing things "better" than the teams simply trying to do better consistently.

If the lottery has to be weighted at all, make it based on the last 3-5 seasons at least to iron out the kinks.
Oh jfc. Why even have a draft in that case. Why have the salary cap. Why even have any attempt to have any kind of parity in the league at all?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So some brought up my Dec 10 th post.

"Sorry, but this post made me vomit. He (Jim Benning) has 2 good picks in his tenure, 2 total mistakes and has signed horrible contracts, given out NTC's and overpaid FA's in terms of length of contract and amounts.

I suspect if we are 8 - 10th, to trade for 1st would take our 1st, our 2nd and Boeser. I would love to have the hughes brothers here, but not at what it would cost

On the reverse end, if we win the lottery, I would require pretty much the reverse value I said it would cost. A decent 1st, a 2nd and a top player. Which is why these trades never happen."

So we ended up exactly where the odds said we would. Pretty much even odds that a team behind us would move up. A bit surprising ... again ... that not one of the top 3 teams won a part of the lottery.

There is nothing surprising in the results as far as the Canucks are concerned. It would be nice to win a lottery, but that's why i stupidly buy lottery tickets that have very little chance of winning.

not a real fan of how they do these lotteries. Would love it if one of the lottery picks had to go to the top 3 teams, one of 4 - 9 had got a lottery pick if anyone in the 10 - 15 range got one.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I hope so to.

Cody Hodgson, and Luc Bourdon were our previous #10 picks. Lets hope this dude, whoever we pick will exceed them.

yeez #10 is cursed af

1350285423.jpg

Reactions: alternate

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
When all is said and done there WILL be a player at 10th that can change our team. We just have to find him. But the opportunity is there.

The problem is that other teams that we are competing against will get a better prospect.

10th place is like kissing your sister over and over again.

I wasn't really interested in Hughes as much as Bryam or Turcotte honestly.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
anything that ins't a top 2 doesn't matter.... 3-10 are anyones guess.... someone will drop that no one expects... it's also a prime move down acquire an extra pick spot...

Need to stop spending a single dime on scouts if that is really the case.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I'm sure a ****ton of teams were one number away and I don't know why this is brought up all the time

Do people not realize that there are thousands and thousands of potential combinations?

1001 possible combinations. 11-12-13-14 is a redraw so 1000 combinations to determine the lottery results.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I thought the boards would literally be on fire.

I think we can say that a tank would not have drastically improved our odds.

New Jersey joins Buffalo and Edmonton must be persona non grata. But I at least feel Hughes being on that team along with the cap space they have...we could see them improve at least.

And I could not care less about New York or Chicago moving up. That demonstrate my stance that a tank doesn't promise results.

Vancouver not winning is terrible luck on our part again. 3-14 is a crap shoot. If we didn't win big it literally doesn't matter to me when we draft. I would very much have liked us to move up but Podkolzin to Caulfield....meh. Everyone has their ups and downs.

Edmonton didn't win so that's a plus too.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a big trade go down with our pick at the draft. If it's a good one anyway. Hall or Marner or someone. Eh....let's see how this goes.
Wat?!

This post is all over the map but thats irrational hindsight nonsense. Tanking literally improves your odds. Like by definition.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Another top 10 pick added and the team should be terrible again next season, especially if Markstrom falters.

They were saved by a lot of shootout and OT wins this season. 22-36 in regulation.

Next year’s draft is absolutely stacked as well.
Lafreniere is a much better prospect than Hughes or Kakko.
Yeah pretty much this. And its overall a deeper draft next year, and we will PROBABLY be getting another top ten pick which will probably mean Benning WILL be done during or at the END of NEXT season

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
the draft system screwed in the past but it is now working in our favour. As a team in the 7-15 range more shots and better odds works in our favour for the next few years.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Man, anyone whining about "if we beat the Rangers we'd be in their draft spot" - please stop.

This is the same sort of nonsensical logic behind the "it's good we took Juolevi because drafting Tkachuk means no Pettersson" takes.

The draft lottery was f***ing random. It sucks to pick 10th after a long, boring season that was over in December, but there's no sense moping about "what if they lost one more game." Doing so is just as dumb as this take:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Man, anyone whining about "if we beat the Rangers we'd be in their draft spot" - please stop.

This is the same sort of nonsensical logic behind the "it's good we took Juolevi because drafting Tkachuk means no Pettersson" takes.

The draft lottery was ****ing random. It sucks to pick 10th after a long, boring season that was over in December, but there's no sense moping about "what if they lost one more game." Doing so is just as dumb as this take:

You just don’t know how the balls will land. Every possible combination is handed out to the 15 teams. Someone is going to defy the odds and win.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
the draft system screwed in the past but it is now working in our favour. As a team in the 7-15 range more shots and better odds works in our favour for the next few years.
Wrong. The system is still screwing us, and it will not work in our favour if the team improves. There is still less chance of landing the top spot the higher the team finishes in the standings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad