Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft Lottery: Meet me at the corner of Disappointment and 10th (5:00 p.m. PST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Is everyone happy that we are a draft lottery team again,?the only home run we have hit is Pettersson,Hughes is way to early to tell.Benning has given us another year of building a team with no playoff Hope's.He still needs to be replaced.

it’s better than being a flukey unsustainable playoff team. imagine if schaller and granlund had career years?

the lottery is where we were always going to be this season. the only surprise is it has taken this long to be official, which reflects as much on the rest of the conference as it does on the canucks. we’ve been fortunate to have a positive developmental environment for much of the season, but we are now on script.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Is everyone happy that we are a draft lottery team again,?the only home run we have hit is Pettersson,Hughes is way to early to tell.Benning has given us another year of building a team with no playoff Hope's.He still needs to be replaced.
Were too far out to win the lottery this year and last nights win was a disaster, completely unnecessary crap i cant believe it, I think we lost that game last night, got cleaned out by the Sharks, and end the year losing to Nashville and even the Blues lol we would be a lottery contending team and based on losing such great odds the last couple a years wed have a HUGE chance to win it this year, but now, no aint happening, cause were gonna be around 8th 9th last place so NOT A CHANCE

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Were too far out to win the lottery this year and last nights win was a disaster, completely unnecessary crap i cant believe it, I think we lost that game last night, got cleaned out by the Sharks, and end the year losing to Nashville and even the Blues lol we would be a lottery contending team and based on losing such great odds the last couple a years wed have a HUGE chance to win it this year, but now, no aint happening, cause were gonna be around 8th 9th last place so NOT A CHANCE
Ott, LA, Det, NJ will be in the bottom 4. That was locked in for a while.

Buffalo is playing like crap as always, so I didn't expect them to pass the Canucks. So, that's 5 teams.

Rangers would need a good streak to pass the Canucks, so that likely is 6 teams. Ana/Edm are within 1-2 points so they can pass Vancouver.

Anywhere between 7-9 realistically.

member 290103

Benning doesn't care what the "math" says. Mathematical or not, he intends to compete in every game and make the playoffs this year. If there is a will there is a way.

Reactions: dwarf

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning doesn't care what the "math" says. Mathematical or not, he intends to compete in every game and make the playoffs this year. If there is a will there is a way.
Benning doesn't 'compete' for anything....his only job is to build a winning team. And if he really believes falling out of the to-10 in the first round of the draft based on some meaningless wins in NHL garbage time is 'good' for the franchise, then he won't be long for his post.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Can see the Canucks lose the next 3. Sharks have kicked our ass for what seems like an eternity, playing in Nashville is always tough, and the Blues are not the same team we beat up earlier in the year. If that happens, Rangers need 4, Ducks 2, and Oilers 1 to pass in the standings.

Rangers play NJ and OTT of their remaining 4 so winning both is a possibility. Oilers have a tougher schedule but just need an OT loss to move ahead on ROWs. Ducks last game is against The Kings so a nice winnable game for them.

Obviously all of this is dependant on Vancouver losing three and the other teams not shitting the bed but if it does happen that puts us in 6th. All we can do is cross our fingers and believe in the tank.

member 290103

Benning doesn't 'compete' for anything....his only job is to build a winning team. And if he really believes falling out of the to-10 in the first round of the draft based on some meaningless wins in NHL garbage time is 'good' for the franchise, then he won't be long for his post.

Except that's his MO every year and yet he is still here. Remember that time they finished out the season with that California sweep? Every consider why Demko is not running the table now? Why Goldobin is not in the lineup? Why MacEwen is not called up? Why they continue to run out Granlund, Spooner, etc? They want to win, and don't care what it does to draft position.

They are complete and utter morons.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Even if it is next to impossible odds mathematically for the 3 teams behind us (wherever we land in the standings) to jump and win the three lotteries, I fully expect that to happen.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Based on where the Canucks are likely to end up drafting, it's highly unlikely their pick will be able to crack their lineup. This is one year where trades and the UFA market are far more important to this team's hopes for next season than the draft.
Hughes, Kakko, Poldkozin, Byram and Turcotte are all NHL ready imo.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes, Kakko, Poldkozin, Byram and Turcotte are all NHL ready imo.
Well, the Canucks definitely aren't getting three of those guys...and Turcotte is heading for college. That leaves Byram...and as bad the Canucks blueline is, I can't see three potential rookie blueliners in the opening night lineup --Hughes, Juolevi and Byram. So not likely any immediate help for the Canucks in this draft.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Can't catch Arizona anymore. I thought John Chayka was a nerd who couldn't manage a hockey team? Looks like the Coyotes are taking the Avalanche down to the wire

Reactions: dwarf

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Can't catch Arizona anymore. I thought John Chayka was a nerd who couldn't manage a hockey team? Looks like the Coyotes are taking the Avalanche down to the wire

Yep worst we can finish is 13th. And every other team in the league understands math, and when you need to lose.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
So which representative do we send to the draft lottery this season to ensure us more disappointment?
Benning? Weisbrod? Green? Aquilini? .... Linden?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I think now is the time to seriously consider what it could realistically cost to get our first ever first round pick in front of the hometown crowd.

It might save Benning's job for a while, but I'd take it for Hughes.

Our first, Boeser, Demko... what else? I'd throw in next years first too if we had too.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I've been saying that Aquilini will demand Benning trade up and draft Hughes at all costs.
I can see us offering our 1st + 2020 1st + Demko + Virtanen+Gaudette/Madden. Really will be interesting to see who wins the lottery.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think now is the time to seriously consider what it could realistically cost to get our first ever first round pick in front of the hometown crowd.

Our first, Boeser, Demko... what else? I'd throw in next years first too if we had too.

I've been saying that Aquilini will demand Benning trade up and draft Hughes at all costs.
I can see us offering our 1st + 2020 1st + Demko + Virtanen+Gaudette/Madden. Really will be interesting to see who wins the lottery.

As bad as Benning is lets hope he's better then you guys that's crazy for us to risk that and gut us. If we wind up with 9-11 pick I'd be happy with one of Boldy, Broberg and though a bit of a reach Moritz Seider as he has huge potential to be a stay at home top 4 RHD if he keeps developing.

Last edited:

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England

I've been thinking about how likely it is that Benning will trade for 1stOA too. I have a feeling ownership will push for this and if we don't move up in the lottery I can see Benning trade:

1st 2019
1st 2020
Bo Horvat

This takes care of the logjam at center with Jack Hughes coming in so center depth going forward will look like this:

Hughes
Sutter
Gaudette
Beagle

I'm not saying I like this set up but you can see it happening for all the wrong reasons. It also takes care of the Captain question as well. I just pray i'm wrong...

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Haha... no.

Madden and Gaudette are huge parts of the future and so is Demko...

Virtanen and the 1st I could see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad