2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Subban is too old but that's a good trade in terms of sheer value.

I'd have absolutely no issue trading for a defenceman in the 23-26 age range (Parayko?) as long as the pick is top 5 protected. But obviously there's little reason for the other team involved in the trade to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
so I am curious how would the board react if they traded away the 2019 1st say 10-14 for like a PK Subban or the 2020 1st round pick

Trading away a 1st round pick for a 29 year old with 3 years left on his contract with a $9M cap hit would be absolutely idiotic for this team. Par for the course though. And you'll have some people who support Benning today, who may today say they would hate the deal end up flip flopping and praise it on draft day if it happens.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
so I am curious how would the board react if they traded away the 2019 1st say 10-14 for like a PK Subban or the 2020 1st round pick

P.K. will be 30 in May and has very likely already hit his peak. The only thing that trade would do for this team is waste more cap space and throw away another 1st round pick. I would shake my head in disgust but wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

just22

Aug 2, 2009
I can’t see teams trading a Top 2-4 defenseman for an 11-15 1st round pick. Canucks would need to add, likely more picks. Maybe you can get a top prospect dman like Fabbro but not a Subban or Hamilton.

Just need them to choke down the stretch, as they have done so valiantly the last three seasons, and pick up a top 10 pick.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
If it is a top 10 pick then yes keep the pick for sure. but if it is 10 to 14 it is going to take at least two years before that player makes a impact. do you guys think Benning has that time.. think about it

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why .. would PK Subban not help this team win games and make the playoffs..
Quinn Hughes is already being tagged as elite (we will see in a few months)...Why would they cough up the 1st for essentially the same type player who is a decade older?, and probably on the other side of his career?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
lol why are you people saying no to a 10-14 pick for Pk Subban. Thats a steal. I aint trying to wait 3 years for Krebs to play in Utica.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Honestly, if you could trade the #14 overall pick straight up for PK Subban that’s a brilliant deal and we should be all over it. I’m astonished that anyone would say otherwise.
For sure it is ONLY because we could simply turn around and flip him for twice as much. It’s not a realistic trade proposal and folks are against it because we shouldn’t be targeting 29 year olds. If you want to discuss trades let use realistic ones

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For sure it is ONLY because we could simply turn around and flip him for twice as much. It’s not a realistic trade proposal and folks are against it because we shouldn’t be targeting 29 year olds. If you want to discuss trades let use realistic ones

It’s not realistic because Nashville would never do it.

But if you could, you do that trade and keep Subban. Pettersson has already played this team out of further top-5 picks right now. If you could add a Norris winner on a friendly contract to this roster to try turning a corner, you’re an idiot not to.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It’s not realistic because Nashville would never do it.

But if you could, you do that trade and keep Subban. Pettersson has already played this team out of further top-5 picks right now. If you could add a Norris winner on a friendly contract to this roster to try turning a corner, you’re an idiot not to.
Targeting subban makes zero sense. We are years away from being a contender. What’s the point of debating an impossible trade? If we want to discuss a subban trade, let’s start with 2019 first + 2020 first (unprotected). Or a first a second and Juolevi

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I can’t see teams trading a Top 2-4 defenseman for an 11-15 1st round pick. Canucks would need to add, likely more picks. Maybe you can get a top prospect dman like Fabbro but not a Subban or Hamilton.

Just need them to choke down the stretch, as they have done so valiantly the last three seasons, and pick up a top 10 pick.
Pettersson will probably prevent that.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
lets say the canucks get pick 10-15
What kind of player are we hoping for here? #2 center? #2 D-man? etc?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
LMAO.

A non top 10 pick traded for a norris calibre Dman in Subban and some people will be mad??

Do you guys follow hockey?

The franchise has legitimately never had a #1 norris calibre Dman.

Id trade an 11-15 pick asap for Subban and trust benning/brackett to find us a gem in rnd 2 and later.

Subban shot on the PP would be ridiculous. Imagine the room boeser and pettersson will have.

When are we gonna learn that Actual is better than Potential.

Subban is acttualy a great NHL dman.... numbet 11th-15 th pick has a potential to be a good NHLer.

Reactions: Canucks LB

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
LMAO.

A non top 10 pick traded for a norris calibre Dman in Subban and some people will be mad??

Do you guys follow hockey?

The franchise has legitimately never had a #1 norris calibre Dman.

Id trade an 11-15 pick asap for Subban and trust benning/brackett to find us a gem in rnd 2 and later.

Subban shot on the PP would be ridiculous. Imagine the room boeser and pettersson will have.

When are we gonna learn that Actual is better than Potential.

Subban is acttualy a great NHL dman.... numbet 11th-15 th pick has a potential to be a good NHLer.
I think the problem is that he's a bit out of the age range of the younger core.. if he was 25 or 26 it would make a lot more sense to acquire him, but by the time the Canucks compete, he might be 32...33ish... Also, not a chance the Canucks are able to get him for the 10-15 alone. I would for sure do the trade if it was, but Nashville wouldn't, I guarantee that. If it's not the 10-15 alone, what would you add to get him? Juolevi?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think the problem is that he's a bit out of the age range of the younger core.. if he was 25 or 26 it would make a lot more sense to acquire him, but by the time the Canucks compete, he might be 32...33ish... Also, not a chance the Canucks are able to get him for the 10-15 alone. I would for sure do the trade if it was, but Nashville wouldn't, I guarantee that. If it's not the 10-15 alone, what would you add to get him? Juolevi?

Well im only replying to the statement that asked if we would be ok w. That certain trade.

And with how weak the WEST is and with us hitting the lotto with EP, id have to disagree that were still 2-3 yrs away especially if we add Subban.

Getting EP40 has totally changed the timeline of this team.

I think we should explore all avenues in seeing how much damage we can do while EP40 and Hughes are on their ELC.

Then when they need a raise, Subbans contract will expire then and we can trade him and recoup assets.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Well im only replying to the statement that asked if we would be ok w. That certain trade.

And with how weak the WEST is and with us hitting the lotto with EP, id have to disagree that were still 2-3 yrs away especially if we add Subban.

Getting EP40 has totally changed the timeline of this team.

I think we should explore all avenues in seeing how much damage we can do while EP40 and Hughes are on their ELC.

Then when they need a raise, Subbans contract will expire then and we can trade him and recoup assets.
I still think we need another big piece in the top 6... perhaps you can get that through FA, but I'd much prefer to have a guy around the age of Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser. Maybe Dahlen or Lind become that, but it's unlikely. I think getting a top 6 player, maybe a player with a bit of an edge like a Tkachuk type player, is key going forward.

But yeah, i'd absolutely do 10-15 for Subban in a heartbeat. I just don't think we should be paying market price for him at this point, which would be the 1st + Juolevi+ probably a young forward prospect like Dahlen and maybe even more. I see what you mean about trying to load up while EP40 and Hughes are on ELCs. Makes sense, but I also don't trust Benning to be able to build the team to compete anyways, so it might just be wasted assets for nothing, but he is getting a tad better I will admit.

For a guy with size with top 6 potential that would be in our range or even later and could be ready for the NHL sooner rather than later, Brett Leason, like mentioned here many times, really intrigues me. Would love to see what he could do next to Pettersson. He's fast for a big guy and a huge body so he has the potential to even creep into the top 10 i think, but if he's available at our pick, I would love to see him in Canucks colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad