2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sounds interesting. Would be a nice pick with a 2nd 1st rounder, assuming we are in line for a C at the top end of the draft with our own pick.

None of those guys you listed come close to another 1st rounder. The only 2 moveable assets we have that could potentially snag one at the TDL are Edler and Tanev.

See "plus other assets."

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Looks like a big year for Western Canadian prospects.

Could be pretty unreal. In addition to Lawrence's list above (Krebs, Dach, Newhook, Cozens, Byram) Nolan Foote (Kelowna RW), Kaeden Korczak (Kelowna RD), Massimo Rizzo (Penticton W) and Sasha Mutala (Tri-City Americans) look like they can be in discussion for R1.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Just musing here: If they get a top C in this draft and Pettersson is able to convert to C this year then that opens the door to trade Horvat.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Why would we want to trade Horvat?

If he has a very similar year to the last two seasons it's something I'd definitely explore, if there's a Johanson-Jones type swap for a RD of a similar age (maybe see what's going on in Anaheim?) I'd be thinking long and hard about it.

It's something to consider if one of Gaudette or Pettersson plays very well down the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: vancityluongo

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I'll have four opportunities to watch Alex Newhook live, **** yeah

EDIT: No lol, work will get in the way of most of them. September 23rd it is

I live a few blocks from where the Grizzlies play so Ill definitely have to check out some games this year.Any other top end prospects in the BCHL that I should watch for?

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Move assets from a (potential) area of strength to an area of greater weakness. The only downside is the GM we have to make the transaction.
An abundance of centers is an asset in and of itself. I wouldn't be against such a trade in principle but I don't think it's something that we need to be chasing.

Reactions: Catbug

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I live a few blocks from where the Grizzlies play so Ill definitely have to check out some games this year.Any other top end prospects in the BCHL that I should watch for?
I'm no expert on this, but I see that Penticton has a 2019-draft eligible player with a North Dakota commitment (Massimo Rizzo)

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
An abundance of centers is an asset in and of itself. I wouldn't be against such a trade in principle but I don't think it's something that we need to be chasing.

Yes but if it is offset by an even greater paucity at another key position (defense) then it creates an imbalance of assets. You can only play your Centres (at that position) for 60 total minutes per game. Assuming Pettersson and (say) Jack Hughes/Alex Newhook get the lions share of minutes (40) then the final 20 is split between Horvat and Gaudette. This is great depth, but perhaps not as valuable as 25+ minutes of another top pair defenseman to play with Pettersson and Hughes/Newhook. Moving the asset from a 3C to a top pair D allows it to be used more and to increase the effectiveness of your top 6 centres. Then Gaudette replaces up most of the traded Horvat’s minutes and the new 4C plays limited minutes (in this hypothetical).

Depth is great but only if you have it everywhere, otherwise you are hoarding at one position at the expense of another one.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
After the "push to be competitive/make the payoffs" fails again for the 4th year in a row, this team needs to purge assets at the TDL as much as possible to gain 2019 picks.

I honestly could care less if everyone but Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson are gone.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Any RHD projected to go top 10/15? That's the biggest organizational need after center IMO.

Edit: How have I not heard of Anttoni Honka before? Hes a RHD who scored 9 points in 20 games in the Liiga as a 17 year old. To play 20 games in the Liiga in your draft -1 season is impressive in and of itself, but to score at almost half a point per game? Wow. Heiskanen had 10 points in 37 games in his draft year, to put it in perspective. Anyone here know anything about this guy?
As you've summoned...

While the points production is impressive, what's even more impressive is that... He also lead the league in Corsi% for players above 3 games played, with 62.5 corsi%. His team's was 54.5% so he was at +8.0% relative. Offensive zone start % was 55.3% so not that absurd. Additionally, in 5v5 he was on the ice for 15 goals for, 4 against for 78.9 GF%.

I'd note that you just don't accidentally lead this entire league in corsi at 17 years of age by luck.

Give watching one of these shift-by-shifts a go: Anttoni Honka vs TPS | Mar 2 2018 - ProspectShifts.com

And what you'll find that he's consistently making good decisions, has a good ability to make the first pass, has incredible skating and hands and makes some good reads in the offensive zone. And makes very few mistakes in general.

My personal expectation is that he'll be scoring around 0.8 PPG next season and will shoot up the draft rankings.

Reactions: Catbug

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
We should be doing everything possible to get another top-10 pick in this draft. Would try and sell Edler early in the year to a disappointing, faller team (think Ottawa or the Rangers this year). My guess is that could be Anaheim or San Jose, but outside the division/conference, Minnesota/maybe Columbus if Panarin is traded). I'd even go Edler + 2020 2nd for that possible non-playoff team 1st.

Additional lottery odds aside, to come out of the draft with two of the Western kids in Cozens, Newhook, Krebs, Dach or Byram would be a huge coup.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
I think there's almost no way we're gonna get an unprotected 2019 1st at this point. 2020 maybe, and that might be an even more intriguing draft.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
If he has a very similar year to the last two seasons it's something I'd definitely explore, if there's a Johanson-Jones type swap for a RD of a similar age (maybe see what's going on in Anaheim?) I'd be thinking long and hard about it.

It's something to consider if one of Gaudette or Pettersson plays very well down the middle.

I would not move Horvat. You need players like Horvat for the playoffs.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
After the "push to be competitive/make the payoffs" fails again for the 4th year in a row, this team needs to purge assets at the TDL as much as possible to gain 2019 picks.

I honestly could care less if everyone but Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson are gone.

And then become the Edmonton Oilers with no guaranteed 1st overall pick even if we're last.

In my opinion you still need guys like Edler and Tanev to stabilize the defense, so the young guys are not always trapped in the defensive zone.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
And then become the Edmonton Oilers with no guaranteed 1st overall pick even if we're last.

In my opinion you still need guys like Edler and Tanev to stabilize the defense, so the young guys are not always trapped in the defensive zone.

This team already is the Oilers of old, minus the 1st overall picks.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think there's almost no way we're gonna get an unprotected 2019 1st at this point. 2020 maybe, and that might be an even more intriguing draft.

I don't think it's quite that difficult to get the additional 2019 1st rounder, but I agree 100% that management should consider trading for unprotected firsts in 2020. They should be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad