2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
because whoever the 1st line centreman we draft unlikely he will be ready to lead the CAnucks as our 1st line centreman. That's your idea playing out if Horvat was going to be traded.

well when is the trade? like Put horvat on the trade block right away? or down the road if we are stacked at C? Unlikely anyone from the 2019 draft is good enough to play as one of our top centremans. Newhook is a winger apparently and commited to college in 2020. I understand your idea you trade your depth. I see what you mean, but for now it's unlikely we have 2 better centremans then Horvat after 2019.

**** here gets crazier and crazier. but appreciate the response.

I dunno about timing man. I was just agreeing in general that I’d move Horvat at some point. This wasn’t a trade proposal, it was just a general sentiment that I’d trade the guy in certain circumstances. You’re asking for specifics that were never specified in the first place. But to give you an answer I’d say any time after Hughes/Newhook/Turcotte’s rookie season. At that point Pettersson should have completed at least 2 NHL seasons and our 2019 pick at least 1. Assuming these guys show as much proficiency as we expect them to based on their pedigrees, it seems to me they should be able to handle major scoring role minutes by then.

As for a Horvat-Theodore swap, you think *that* is crazy? Like in what way? Not enough value for us?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
it's more unbelievable at this point. if down the road Pettersson or Hughes or Turccot is the new Forsberg Sakic combo sure thing. that said I do understand the reason. this is just my take, and Horvat is going to be part of the teams core.

Ya I mean it’s all pretty hypothetical at this point. Just something to talk about over an otherwise uninteresting summer.

Reactions: Josepho

lawrence

May 19, 2012
As for a Horvat-Theodore swap, you think *that* is crazy? Like in what way? Not enough value for us?

Just realized he had a strong year, same age, a year ago was on waivers, couldn't even crack the Ducks top 6, as a 1st rounder, thats why I said it was crazy, but I guess lets see if he can do another year. Wish we drafted him instead of Hunter, said this back then. awesome bounce back year for him though.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Kakko's play along the boards with his ability to pivot, stickhandle around opponents and protect the puck with his frame remind me a lot of Gabe Vilardi.

Kakko has good, but not great straight-line speed -- better than Vilardi does -- but his edge work and ability to retain the puck after eluding defenders is excellent. He plays a European-style power forward game, comparable to Filip Forsberg and Vilardi in a lot of ways: he isn't going to overwhelm the opposition with brute north-south strength and speed or physicality, but has the size, balance, agility and puck skills to protect the puck and maneuver with it in tight spaces. Raphael Lavoie is that speedy, aggressive power forward type.

He hounds the puck and plays a patient possession game, fighting to keep the puck when the opposition is draped all over him in order to open up teammates for pass or create a chance for himself; he'll also carry it around the zone if he sees space available to put himself in a better position to make a play.

There is some great footage of him from the 2018 U18s. bigwhite06 (Feebster on HF) and a new channel called Hockey Prospects Center both do video packages that are more than just goal/assist highlights; rather, their videos show the player's best plays, from takeaways to scoring chances to great passes as well.

I find that Hockey Prospects Center's Kaako video is more tightly-edited, with more plays shown and fewer replays of the same clips; both videos overlap in terms of a lot of footage and are about the same length, but this one flows more quickly -- video isn't quite as crisp as Feebster's, though:

I was getting kopitar vibes at times when he was carrying the puck, I didn't seeing the vision Kopitar has though.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Just realized he had a strong year, same age, a year ago was on waivers, couldn't even crack the Ducks top 6, as a 1st rounder, thats why I said it was crazy, but I guess lets see if he can do another year. Wish we drafted him instead of Hunter, said this back then. awesome bounce back year for him though.

He was never waived.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You mean trade your future captain?

got it. canucks fans from hfboards.com ftw.

You are forced to trade assets to make more future assets because you failed at building a contender the first time around and the salary structure is getting out of whack for a bottom dweller.

Say we stay at the bottom for another 4 years because of management ineptitude. Bring in new management to rebuild. Horvat will be 27yrs. If we are starting a rebuild then he will be 30+ when we are competetive again.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Ya I don’t think he was ever on waivers. He was slow cooked with Anaheim and ran into a numbers game there but had a fantastic year with Vegas and IMO is pretty good value for Horvat. Obviously if he doesn’t continue to look good in 2018-19 and 2019-20 then I’d revise the trade, but atm it looks about right to me.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
down the road :
if we have 2 much better centres then Horvat I can see a trade here, but that's more for down the road talk.

The original post he responded to:

Just musing here: If they get a top C in this draft and Pettersson is able to convert to C this year then that opens the door to trade Horvat.

This forum is so funny

Reactions: Mr Plow and Josepho

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
You are forced to trade assets you have to make more future assets because you failed at building a contender the first time around and the salary structure is getting outbof whack for a bottom dweller.

Say we stay at the bottom for another 4 years because of management ineptitude. Bring in new management to rebuild. Horvat will be 27yrs. If we are starting a rebuild then he will be 30+ when we are competetive again.
Amazing. Let’s trade a 23 year old as he will be too old when we are competitive. If we don’t make the playoffs next year it will be time to move on from Elias as well :)

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Amazing. Let’s trade a 23 year old as he will be too old when we are competitive. If we don’t make the playoffs next year it will be time to move on from Elias as well :)

He was speculating about trading him, in certain circumstances, at the age of 27, not 23.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
to be fair, he didn't really say when.

The "he" was a different poster, who said this:

"Say we stay at the bottom for another 4 years because of management ineptitude. Bring in new management to rebuild. Horvat will be 27yrs. If we are starting a rebuild then he will be 30+ when we are competetive again."

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm reminded of when MS drew up a scenario where Michael DiPietro gets traded for a D prospect of a similar age and calibre, and everyone shit their pants because how dare you talk about Are Prospects like they are chattel!!!

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'm reminded of when MS drew up a scenario where Michael DiPietro gets traded for a D prospect of a similar age and calibre, and everyone **** their pants because how dare you talk about Are Prospects like they are chattel!!!

I've learned to avoid any sort of trade theorization with our good players here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why are we even theorizing about trading one of our best young players in the "2019 Draft Thread" anyway? Seems like some people putting the cart way before the horse.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The whole notion of trading Horvat is a nuclear-option scenario that no one would actually advocate for outside of extreme circumstances. It's not worth getting bent out of shape over.

Actually, I’m not sure the circumstances need to be all that extreme. If VAN finishes in the top5 or so in this draft, they have a good chance to draft a top C. Someone who projects as a 1C. If Pettersson also establishes himself as a 1C, then there’s a decision on the horizon.

This is a definitive season for the Canucks. They are headed for the bottom. In fact, I don’t think getting a top C is the more unlikely outcome here. It’s Pettersson establishing himself as a C. That’s the question. And even with that, I think the odds are good.

Going to be an interesting season. Anyway, back to talking about the draft alone.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
While we are putting the cart before the horse though, like i said in the other 2019 draft thread...i think Raphael Lavoie is an extremely interesting prospect if we do happen to slip out of the top few picks or so. Not strictly because of the way he'd potentially fit with Pettersson, but it's something interesting to think about. I think he has the potential to develop into that big powerful goal-scoring center a la Jeff Carter, which seems like it'd be a nifty fit with Pettersson if he does ultimately end up on the wing. But the alternative is still just a big RH shooting power winger, who would also probably be exactly what you want flanking Pettersson if he does find his way in the middle at the NHL level.

I wouldn't move Lavoie ahead of others just because of that aspect. But it's fun to think about, and something to consider as a potentially pretty cool consolation prize if we don't land one of the very top picks and get ourselves another Hughes.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
it's not a bad thing to have centers playing wing that can step in and take over in case of injury. Detroit super teams were always overloaded with centers playing out of position.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
it's not a bad thing to have centers playing wing that can step in and take over in case of injury. Detroit super teams were always overloaded with centers playing out of position.

Especially if you have a RH/LH duo who are both comfortable playing the same wing too. But it's a small thing. Ultimately, i think the message ought to be..."get as many top quality Centers as you can...be happy to deal with that problem later".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad