2019 NHL Draft II - June 21 - Who’s your pick????

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Pronman is letting the tidbits FLY in his latest mock in the Athletic. I’m posting just a few relevant snippets as the article is behind a pay wall. Click any hyperlinked player name for a redirect to Pronman’s Athletic work:

Edmonton:
Philip Broberg, D, AIK-Allsvenskan
I think the top seven picks will be the top prospects selected even if I don’t get the order 100 percent right. Pick No. 8 is where the uncertainty starts. Broberg has been the name rumored to the Oilers for the past few weeks even though his name slid a little in the industry the past few months. I’ve heard the Oilers are interested in Cozens here too in case Podkolzin goes to Detroit and Zegras to Buffalo.

Vancouver: Cole Caufield, RW, USNTDP-USHL

It’s been reported that Vancouver has interest in Zegras, Krebs and Alex Newhook. I believe the Canucks are interested in Caufield. If Broberg gets to No. 10, I think this is his floor.

Philadelphia:
Matthew Boldy, LW, USNTDP-USHL
Philly has been a hard team to get information on. I’ve heard teams speculate Krebs and Boldy here, as well as Victor Soderstrom.

Minnesota: Vasili Podkolzin, RW, SKA-VHL

If the draft goes this way, I think Minnesota’s pick comes down to Podkolzin or goaltender Spencer Knight. I believe they like Knight, so if Podkolzin goes before this slot, it could lead to the goalie landing with the Wild.

Florida:
Moritz Seider, D, Mannheim-DEL
Seider, Soderstrom and Thomas Harley are the names I’ve heard Florida is in on. Seider seems to be the name trending up the most among teams I’m talking to; he may even go higher than this but I haven’t heard of a specific team attached to him higher than No. 13.

Arizona:
Arthur Kaliyev, RW, Hamilton-OHL
Teams have speculated Arizona is looking to talent up front and particularly a goal-scorer such as Kaliyev. I believe, if Podkolzin gets this far, this is where he stops .

Colorado: Spencer Knight, G, USNTDP-USHL

Knight feels like a logical landing spot for the Avs given their need for a top goalie prospect and how high the NHL scouting industry is right now on Knight. If Turcotte goes No. 3, though, and the Avs get Byram at No. 4, they might not be as likely to add a goalie instead of a center like Alex Newhook or Ryan Suzuki.

Vegas:
Alex Newhook, C, Victoria-BCHL
I’ve heard from more teams that have Newhook top 10 than outside the top 15, so him getting to No. 17 is not a guarantee. I could see Suzuki as Vegas’ pick if Newhook is gone by this point.

——

So, there are several very interesting scenarios here. It sounds like one way or the other, Broberg is going before 14. It also sounds like there is a VERY good shot that Spencer Knight does to. Outside shot that maybe Soderstrom does as well. If Byram (Yes), Broberg (Yes), Knight (Maybe) and Soderstrom (Maybe) go in the top 13, I’m going to be freaking out with joy.

Then again, I was thrilled last year when Zadina and Hughes fell. Haha.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think everyone is underestimating the need to draft defensemen. The forwards are all tempting but how many teams would do Newhook over Broberg when push comes to shove. Guess we will find out Friday haha

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think everyone is underestimating the need to draft defensemen.

Right now, we have a bunch of defensive prospects in the system and in the minors.

Our forward prospects in the pipeline are basically Erik Walli Walterholm and Liam Kirk.

We need forwards. BPA is a forward. I wouldn't even be considering D until at least the third round, personally.

Reactions: ctwin22

rt

May 13, 2004
Right now, we have a bunch of defensive prospects in the system and in the minors.

Our forward prospects in the pipeline are basically Erik Walli Walterholm and Liam Kirk.

We need forwards. BPA is a forward. I wouldn't even be considering D until at least the third round, personally.
I think he meant he doesn’t see 12F going top 13. Not that a D should go to us. :)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Who is this year's Hayton for the Coyotes? Meaning, who jumps up 5-ish slots higher than expected and is a high character player. A player slotted late teens/early 20's in mocks but jumps to 14.

Tomasino?
Poulin?
McMichael?

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Knight should go after 20, but teams that need a goalie and Florida is definitely one that does means that they won't be able to resist.
Luongo is 40 years old. Montembeault is not even close to a starter. Florida has an immediate need in net and Knight could take three years minimum to prepare for this role. Remember Binnington was drafted eight years ago. I think Florida still helps us and drafts a defenseman though.

Reactions: CLW

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Here's my final list:

1) C Hughes
2) Kakko
3) C Turcotte - 200 foot game
4) RW Podkolzin - Love his work ethic and believe me I value C over the winger. If he's available at 14 because of the Russian factor then we should consider ourselves fortunate.
5) C Krebs - playmaking C in the mold of a Ryan O'Reilly
6) C Dach - Playmaking C in the mold of Getzlaf (who i hated his draft year)
7) C Zegras - playmaking C
8) D Byram - strong skating offensive D
9) LW Boldy - goal scorer with a high hockey IQ
10) C Cozens - He's good not great but he can play in all situations. Fantastic skater. I just question his creativity as a C which pushes him to the wing. If you think he's a C then he could go at least 2 picks earlier.
11) RW Caufield - I'll believe that NHL scouts have changed when I see it. He doesn't crack the top 5 for me and I think he's a candidate to fall to 14.
12) C Newhook - strong U18 to salvage his ranking.
13) LD York - poised PP QB. He's a 2/3 D man.
14) LD Harley - Top D passer available
15) LD Broberg - Big offensive d with elite skating. I have him as a 2/3.
16) RD Soderstrom - right shot top 4 D.
17) RD Seider - Finished strong. Likely goes higher than I have him.
18) LW/RW Lavoie - big but skinny. How effective does his power game translate to the NHL.
19) C/RW Tomasino - speed kills and he might be a guy I'd target if we traded down
20) RW Brink - has skill but small and skating needs work
21) RW Leason - Hated his Memorial Cup but love his power game
22) Suzuki - high hockey IQ. Plays perimeter game.
23) RW Kaliyev - boom or bust pick. Coachability an issue for me. If you believe that you can get him to buy in then he should go in that 10-15 range.

Who do I want AZ to draft? Krebs would be my guy
Who do I think AZ will draft? If we keep the pick, I suspect we take one of Podkolzin, Caufield, Krebs, or Newhook (whomever falls).
My Reach pick? Tomasino.

What do I see happening? AZ trades the pick for Zucker.

Reactions: sundance74

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Who is this year's Hayton for the Coyotes? Meaning, who jumps up 5-ish slots higher than expected and is a high character player. A player slotted late teens/early 20's in mocks but jumps to 14.

Tomasino?
Poulin?
McMichael?

Harley

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Luongo is 40 years old. Montembeault is not even close to a starter. Florida has an immediate need in net and Knight could take three years minimum to prepare for this role. Remember Binnington was drafted eight years ago. I think Florida still helps us and drafts a defenseman though.

Bobrovsky?

Reactions: CLW

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Given Suzuki's unwillingness to play inside the circles, I bet he's on our do not draft list. Tocchet has no use for this player.

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Here's my final list:

1) C Hughes
2) Kakko
3) C Turcotte - 200 foot game
4) RW Podkolzin - Love his work ethic and believe me I value C over the winger. If he's available at 14 because of the Russian factor then we should consider ourselves fortunate.
5) C Krebs - playmaking C in the mold of a Ryan O'Reilly
6) C Dach - Playmaking C in the mold of Getzlaf (who i hated his draft year)
7) C Zegras - playmaking C
8) D Byram - strong skating offensive D
9) LW Boldy - goal scorer with a high hockey IQ
10) C Cozens - He's good not great but he can play in all situations. Fantastic skater. I just question his creativity as a C which pushes him to the wing. If you think he's a C then he could go at least 2 picks earlier.
11) RW Caufield - I'll believe that NHL scouts have changed when I see it. He doesn't crack the top 5 for me and I think he's a candidate to fall to 14.
12) C Newhook - strong U18 to salvage his ranking.
13) LD York - poised PP QB. He's a 2/3 D man.
14) LD Harley - Top D passer available
15) LD Broberg - Big offensive d with elite skating. I have him as a 2/3.
16) RD Soderstrom - right shot top 4 D.
17) RD Seider - Finished strong. Likely goes higher than I have him.
18) LW/RW Lavoie - big but skinny. How effective does his power game translate to the NHL.
19) C/RW Tomasino - speed kills and he might be a guy I'd target if we traded down
20) RW Brink - has skill but small and skating needs work
21) RW Leason - Hated his Memorial Cup but love his power game
22) Suzuki - high hockey IQ. Plays perimeter game.
23) RW Kaliyev - boom or bust pick. Coachability an issue for me. If you believe that you can get him to buy in then he should go in that 10-15 range.

Who do I want AZ to draft? Krebs would be my guy
Who do I think AZ will draft? If we keep the pick, I suspect we take one of Podkolzin, Caufield, Krebs, or Newhook (whomever falls).
My Reach pick? Tomasino.

What do I see happening? AZ trades the pick for Zucker.
That last sentence scares the hell out of me.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

rt

May 13, 2004

Tomasino?
Poulin?
McMichael?
Tomasino most definitely. Checks every box for Chayka. He crushed the interviews and has “high character”. He’s one of the youngest players in the class. He’s an OHL kid. He’s a RHS center. He’s got a much celebrated motor.

rt

May 13, 2004

Hopefully if this happens it means that Detroit grabs a defenseman. Broberg to EDM, Seider/Soderstrom to Detroit. Krebs to AZ :naughty:

I would think that if Detroit trades down from 6 to 10 it’s because they think they’ll be able to get one of their three favorite D at that spot and pick up an extra asset. I hope this happens.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Knight gets to Colorado at 16.
I’ve listened to all the Morreale and Kimelman podcasts. They are very well connected and they talk with a lot of scouts on the show. Everyone seems convinced that Knight will fall no further than Florida at 13. An unexpected faller could change that, as could a Florida trade. They seem convinced that it’s vastly more likely that Knight goes before 13 than after 13. As long as we don’t pick him, I don’t care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad