2019 NHL Draft II - June 21 - Who’s your pick????

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Piggy-backing off of what hbk stated, there just hasn't been noise regarding some of the defensive prospects vs the forward group. If Soderstrom and Harley were getting the same noise as Caufield and Krebs, then it might be a little different of a story. Like when OEL was rocketing up draft boards and we selected him at 6. I only see 2, and maybe 3 defensemen going before we pick. Still means we have a Newhook or Kaliyev on the radar, but no way that Krebs or Caufield makes it to us. I will happily eat crow if that happens, but no guarantee that Caufield is our pick even if available (a la Zadina last year).

For whom I could see dropping, Podkolzin is a possibility, but I don't see him falling beyond a Philly team at 11 that just got rid of Simmonds and may get a steal at RW that late. Someone is going to take Krebs in the top 10, likely between 7 and 10. Same sort of deal for Caufield. Given where a lot of the defensive prospects appear to be panning out at (about 7-9 between 12 and 25 on boards), those teams with two 1st rounders will probably go forward early and D late. Way more forwards moving up the boards than defensemen, in my eyes.

Still a lot of things to be learned at the combine, etc.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I believe that 3 of the D will go in the 13 picks, Byram, Broberg & Soderstrom will go...which then leaves us with one of the quality forwards.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1. :devils Jack Hughes

2. :rangers Kappo Kakko
3. :hawksBowen Byram
4. :avs Dylan Cozens

5. :kings Alex Turcotte

6.:wingsKirby Dach

7. :sabresPeyton Krebs

8.:edmonton Trevor Zegras

9.:ducks2Matthew Boldy

10. :nucks Vasili Podkolzin

11. :flyers Cole Caufield

12. :wildBobby Brink

13. :panthersAlex Newhook

Reactions: BUX7PHX

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Soderstrom is a very talented player who is playing top 4 mins in the SHL with the most points by a Dman under 18 in the SHL...oh and he's a RHD. He will be coveted and I'm positive a team will take him in the top 13.

Byram will go 3rd to the Hawks (which is terrible, as he will play next season for them) and then someone will love Broberg, best skating Dman out of them all.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

That would SUCK!

If Chayka is feeling saucey then he would take Kaliyev, otherwise Tomasino.

rt

May 13, 2004
That would SUCK!

If Chayka is feeling saucey then he would take Kaliyev, otherwise Tomasino.
It would suck. However, that’s exactly how the team board fan poll mock draft is playing out. Podkolzin is about to go to the Nucks. Caufield will go to the Flyers. If Wild take hometown kid in Brink, we need only the Panthers to want the next best C for our world to implode.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
That scenario is almost the worst possible. I say almost because I like Tomasino more than Boldy. Even in the worst scenario, we'll have a shot at some really good prospects. This is a strong draft year.

rt

May 13, 2004
Why would the Panthers want a C though?

Edit: I think I would rather have Newhook than Kessel all things considered.
Centers are premium. :) Newhook will do at least a season at BC. Maybe two. At that point Trochek will be 28 and a pending UFA. It’s good to have a steady influx.

I agree about taking Newhook instead of trading the pick, if he’s there. If the top guy on my list is Kaliyev or someone, maybe not.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Centers are premium. :) Newhook will do at least a season at BC. Maybe two. At that point Trochek will be 28 and a pending UFA. It’s good to have a steady influx.

I agree about taking Newhook instead of trading the pick, if he’s there. If the top guy on my list is Kaliyev or someone, maybe not.

Good point about Florida, but I think they are looking to win in the next three and if that means they can get a top 4 defenseman on their lineup in the next two years they go that way. Could be very wrong here, and I could also see Minnesota wanting their Garndland replacement in Newhook too.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Any team willing to trade down to #14?
Soderstrom may be the bpa @ this spot.
Any team picking ahead of us wanting D? May trade down in that case and get an extra asset.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think I like Cozens as much as some. I just keep expecting more. He just seems like a guy who has all the tools but there is a but.

Reactions: CLW

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think I like Cozens as much as some. I just keep expecting more. He just seems like a guy who has all the tools but there is a but.
5 minutes after this post he scores a terrific goal. Hilarious.

rt

May 13, 2004
Bobby Brink is really growing on me during this tournament. I’m a few games behind and watching recorded games. However, I think maybe the USHL games I saw maybe just weren’t his best. He’s reminding me of a mash up of Jaden Schwartz, Robby Fabbri, Bryan Little and Derek Stepan. That “Scoutching” video on him was illuminating, as well.

His statistical production in the USHL during his draft year is eye-popping from a historical perspective. His share of total team offense is pretty remarkable, too. In this tournament, I’m seeing why. He puts himself in the right areas (even the tough areas) and he puts the puck in the right areas.

I had issues with his skating but after watching the Scoutching video, I think it really helped me understand what I didn’t like, what I was missing and helped me keep a better eye out for it. I think he’s got the skating where it matters and not so much where it matters less. He’s got time to work on the lower priority aspects of skating.

He’s also one of the younger players eligible for the draft and is about as physically immature as you’re going to see from a draft eligible player ranked in the top half of the first round. He’s going to Denver University so he’ll have time to grow and develop.

Seems like really good value at 14, all things considered.

Reactions: IPreferPi

rt

May 13, 2004
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Krebs
4. Turcotte
5. Podkolzin
6. Zegras
7. Dach
8. Cozens
9. Newhook
10.Caufield
11.Byram
12.Boldy
13.Brink
14.Kaliyev
15.Lavoie
16.McMichael
17.Tomasino

^ I look at that and think, how the hell can Boldy be so low? But who can I bump out?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I like Brink as well, and he would certainly help the PP, he looks to me like a worse skating Ray Whitney. If he could fix the skating and get a little more explosiveness, he could be a hell of a player.

York put on quite a performance, he's certainly gotta be moving up the draft board. He's one of 4 Dmen that might/should go top 13...I keep watching Lavoie and trying to figure out what I don't like about him...he's big, can score, and has been terrific during the playoffs, but there is something about him?

I'd actually be happy with any of the following in order:
Krebs/Zegras/Newhook/Boldy/Dach/Cozens/Caufield/Lavoie/Brink

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As of today before I watch some games sitting on my pvr.

1) C Jack Hughes
2) C Kakko
3) RW Podkolzin
4) C Dach RC
5) C Zegras
6) LW Boldy
7) LD Bryam
8) C - Krebs
9) RW Caufield
10) C Cozens
11) C Turcotte
12) D York
13) LW/RW Lavoie
14) C Newhook
15) RW Kaliyev
16) LD Broberg
17) RW Leason
18) LD Harley
19) RW Dorofeyev
20) C mcMicheal

Full disclosure. I change the top 15 3-5 times per day.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004

Checking the Vancouver poll is basically done. It’s Podkolzin. I checked the Flyers board, they’ll take Caufield. The Wild board is doing a big team board, and it’s clear that Alex Newhook will be their BPA at 12. So we know what the top twelve picks will be in the board mock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad