OT: 2019-nCov Part 4: Sanitized & Solo Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
We don't know necessarily how it came to be, but we do know it isn't the first threat to arise from China's lack of care. And if you're going to blame the US for downplaying the risks, which is very fair, I hope you'd extend the same courtesy to the Chinese who suppressed news of the original breakout from the world. Streamers/internet personalities who were trying to get the word out were arrested. The balance of blame still falls squarely on China here. And no, I don't mean 'Chinese people', for those who'd like to make this a racial thing :sarcasm: . I'm talking about their leadership.

Was it not originally attributed to people eating snakes in China?or was that just a guesstimate?

get25

Oct 17, 2015
The name of the gme after testing is the antibodies test.

Those with antibodies are not going to catch it a second time nd should not be contagious.

Everyone with antibodies and not sick can go anywhere.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Was it not originally attributed to people eating snakes in China?or was that just a guesstimate?
There were telling that this was coming from a bat to a pangolin to human in Wuhan wet market.

But since they have found cases in Hubei that precedes the Wuhan cases.

Transmission from wet market may be the right hypothesis as it has been proven that this was not engineeered. Also Sars came from a bat in a wet market.

But it may come from another wet market. It is not they are lacking wet markets, there are some in other countries like Thailand.

Never heard of a snake anywhere.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Democracy can actually slow things down quite a bit, to be honest :sarcasm: Not saying I'd be throwing out the concept any time soon, but it isn't exactly known to be conducive to speedy results. that being said, with all the power of China's totalitarian regime, they still couldn't stop this thing from getting out. Makes you think.

We're not all quarantined right now because of an american virus, as far as I know. The economy isn't getting ass blasted worldwide by an american created problem. Were this whole thing because Trump had relaxed regulations on farms and some pig flu got out in Idaho and ended up putting my family at risk, I'd be beyond pissed off at him/them right now, and China would be the furthest thing from my mind. If the threat to Canada/Quebec continues to increase due to US mismanagement, I'm also going to get increasingly frustrated, you bet.

Your point is well taken. The problem is that once the virus is in the human population, it's unstoppable. You hope it's not a killer. China didn't know about the virus until it was too late.

We don't know of it was a failure in animal husbandry or a fluke mutation in the wild, but in either casevChina needs to be much more proactive in testing their food animals, for certain.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
There were telling that this was coming from a bat to a pangolin to human in Wuhan wet market.

But since they have found cases in Hubei that precedes the Wuhan cases.

Transmission from wet market may be the right hypothesis as it has been proven that this was not engineeered. Also Sars came from a bat in a wet market.

But it may come from another wet market. It is not they are lacking wet markets, there are some in other countries like Thailand.

Never heard of a snake anywhere.

Perhaps this is the perfect opportunity to eliminate dealing with such type markets and put poachers out of business. It's not the first time this shit happens and if changes don't occur, this shit will happen again and again.:rant:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you're a few years away from retirement, and you're keeping all your money in stocks with a 30+ Schiller P/E ratio, and yield curve inversions, you might have a bad time.

I don't look at P/E ratios as I don't believe in them. If you have a PE ratio of 10, by the time the 10 years gets here things will likely be very different.

I look at ROE, EBITDA, total cash, total debt, float, shares short, 50 dma, 200 dma.

I also don't pay attention to the yield curve as I think it's outdated but I don't get too into the economic sides of investing.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Me and my GF had an assessment done today as we were showing symptoms like headache and cough. Was not reassured very much by it tbh and if anything it makes me feel pretty sure that this will get out of hand in canada.
The nurse Was only worried if we had trouble breathing dispute the other symptoms and did not care that we had worked on jobs where customers had just gotten back from vacations that were hot spots. After we told the nurse about this we were rudely told to listen to the question again which was were we in contact with anyone WITH the virus. We said well no but they were not tested and we were told it was prob just a cold then and the headaches were most likely stress due to what's on the go. Hoping she's right but man are we ever fu**** if this is the screening process. We are both healthy but wanted to be sure we were clear as we need to drop the 8yo off to his grandmother's to babysit so we can go to work. We now have no choice but to stay home as we have absolutely zero faith in the assessment and would feel horrible if we ever passed it on to someone vulnerable if we do have it. Things are going to get bad here IMO after what we have seen today.

Definitely very scary to go through and both my wife and I, and our 1 year old, are all sick, so I get what you are feeling. But ultimately, what would the test change for you?

For example,

1) you get tested, you test positive. Are you sick enough to be admitted to hospital? Probably not. So they will tell you, please quarantine yourself for 2 weeks to avoid spreading it to others.

2) you get tested, and you test negative. Great! But you still should be self-isolating yourself for 2 weeks regardless, because that's the current recommendation and you don't want to catch the virus from anyone else.

3) you don't get tested, and you don't know if you have it or not. You are asked to self-isolate for 2 weeks, just like everyone else. If your symptoms get worse, you will be admitted to hospital if needed.

Knowing whether you have it or not will not help you. They can't cure you, and unless your symptoms are really bad, they won't keep you in the hospital. You are SUPPOSED to be quarantining yourself whether you are sick or not. This is what the government is asking us to do. I understand that many people have jobs that don't allow them to work from home, but ultimately if you tell them you are sick and might have coronavirus they are not going to ask you to come in.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Bats again? WTF? They seem often be the culprit for so many outbreaks.

Rats with wings, that's what they are!

But more seriously the chain probably look something like: Bats (reservoir) -> unknown critter -> Humans.

They originally thought the critter in the middle was the Pangolin, but the virus DNA in the pangolins they've studied doesn't match.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't look at P/E ratios as I don't believe in them. If you have a PE ratio of 10, by the time the 10 years gets here things will likely be very different.

I look at ROE, EBITDA, total cash, total debt, float, shares short, 50 dma, 200 dma.

I also don't pay attention to the yield curve as I think it's outdated but I don't get too into the economic sides of investing.

A regular P/E ratio is indeed not the whole story. The Schiller P/E is a measure of how highly priced the market in general is. It's been flirting with Black Tuesday numbers for about a year, year and a half now. Multiple yield curves inverted including the big one. Pretty much every indicator you can look at said that the market was extremely overpriced. But as they say, markets don't die of old age. Sometimes they die of coronavirus.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
A regular P/E ratio is indeed not the whole story. The Schiller P/E is a measure of how highly priced the market in general is. It's been flirting with Black Tuesday numbers for about a year, year and a half now. Multiple yield curves inverted including the big one. Pretty much every indicator you can look at said that the market was extremely overpriced. But as they say, markets don't die of old age. Sometimes they die of coronavirus.

the problem with that is despite those yield curves inverting, the markets were melting up month after month. If not for the crash in oil and what seems like a massive overreaction by the markets to this virus, you wouldn't likely have seen any problems in the market in the US especially with Biden getting the Dem nom as that's exactly what the market wanted since he is better for the markets then the others who had fairtale plans that would never have worked but would have given the markets way too much uncertainty.

Before this virus most weren't predicting a recession this year or next outside of the usual suspects that predict doom and gloom every year like Marc Faber.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Definitely very scary to go through and both my wife and I, and our 1 year old, are all sick, so I get what you are feeling. But ultimately, what would the test change for you?

For example,

1) you get tested, you test positive. Are you sick enough to be admitted to hospital? Probably not. So they will tell you, please quarantine yourself for 2 weeks to avoid spreading it to others.

2) you get tested, and you test negative. Great! But you still should be self-isolating yourself for 2 weeks regardless, because that's the current recommendation and you don't want to catch the virus from anyone else.

3) you don't get tested, and you don't know if you have it or not. You are asked to self-isolate for 2 weeks, just like everyone else. If your symptoms get worse, you will be admitted to hospital if needed.

Knowing whether you have it or not will not help you. They can't cure you, and unless your symptoms are really bad, they won't keep you in the hospital. You are SUPPOSED to be quarantining yourself whether you are sick or not. This is what the government is asking us to do. I understand that many people have jobs that don't allow them to work from home, but ultimately if you tell them you are sick and might have coronavirus they are not going to ask you to come in.

False, if you have it and its bad, you can get access to multiple antiviral currently in clinical trials. So if they know you have it, you have some additional treatment protocols.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018

For example,

I get what you are saying but I was wanting a more definitive answer as to see if we could work. We all may not be able to soon enough and while I would not want to catch It , passing it on to someone more vulnerable would be worse. We work at night and with very few people but we have all seen how this can spread. Also I found it irresponsible on our healthcares part to not follow WHO recommendations to test-test-test. I do however get your point that we should self isolate if showing symptoms but it add additional financial stress when a simple test could enable a family to provide for itself in these hard times. Hope that clears up my point, cheers.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
I'm a carpenter and a lot of friends that I've worked with that work at the REM are saying that a lot of workers started to use our ''Droit de refus'' so they won't work as long as mesures aren't up to par with the security and health of construction sites.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
And what about entrepreneurs. My parents have more than 50k in payments every month... They good for 6 or 7 months before shit gets really tight.. Then what do they do?

Im so glad to be debt free myself, I have very limited payments left.
Not sure if this has been answered cuz I haven't finished catching up on this thread but yes they offering solutions for PMEs as well.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
False, if you have it and its bad, you can get access to multiple antiviral currently in clinical trials. So if they know you have it, you have some additional treatment protocols.

Do you happen to know what they're using around these parts? I've seen those reports about hydroxychloroquine being really effective but I haven't seen anything concrete on whose methods we've adopted in Canada/Quebec.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
While pro sports in North America are on a self-imposed lockdown, some in New Jersey have taken to practice some of its basic elements:

Offence:

Defence:

At first, no one could find her and a frantic search ensued:

But then ...

af68d2d9baebbdf26c2cea10e087c048.gif

Unfortunately, these kind of individuals are not exclusive to New Jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad