OT: 2019-nCov Part 4: Sanitized & Solo Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Is it possible that the US hit 15000 cases by the end of the day?
Grocery stores are ridiculous. 8$ a pound for aspargus, green lettuce for 4$, and that's at Safeway not Whole foods.
I am trying to hit the smaller, family run grocery stores as they seem to be less frequented.

It's going to get far worse. As they announced on CTV news today, without migrant workers being allowed in to gather crops, Quebec farmers expect their crops to rot in the fields and not make it to market. There will be some produce from foreign countries but they will also be in short supply in their home countries. If they have extra produce to export, and that's an if, we may get some but it will be less than normal. With the loss of Quebec products and fewer imports, the prices of produce are expected to rise by at least more than 100%.

These international and national closings have created chaos with the world's economies. In Canada, approximately 25% of small businesses are not expected to survive if this lasts much longer. Restaurants are being closed and employees being laid off. Larger companies are also laying off workers. It's getting very bad.

At the rate we are going, we are moving into a self imposed large case depression with high unemployment that could out scale the 1930s. If the governments don't allow things to get back to normal in a week or so, we will suffer the consequences.

Yet, what will be different in a week, or two weeks, or a month with COVID19 ... nothing except there will be more cases within Canada and Quebec. Eventually COVID19 will spread everywhere and to all.
It's not IF will happen, but rather WHEN. In the meantime, we killed our economics and will suffer that as well as the virus.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Ya but how many over 60 are fit and healthy. 99% of deaths had diabetes, heart disease or high blood pressure.

70+ and you are 1 in 4 chance of going to the hospital. Then its probably a greater than 1 in 2 chance that you wind up in the ICU. And surviving the ICU is very low as well.

Really not good numbers for the elderly. The young shall inherit the earth.

People over 70 who are healthy have a better chance of survival than a younger, fat, unhealthy diabetic or smoker. It depends on the state of your health and immune system.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Ive seen you talk about how "it doesnt spread through croissants" or wtv, so thats a bit inexcusable lol.

I mean theres not much positive out of this.
That was saturday when I was discussing my canceled brunch. Things change drastically on a daily. There was like 3 potential cases in Mtl on Saturday, all from traveling. The urgency for social distancing wasn't as present, and everything was still open with no plan to close.

Reactions: DAChampion

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
No..
Ive been calling landscaping providers day and night and they are mostly closed or don't have what I need.
Ive been checking facebook for affordable iron plates but nothings around
Ive been checking with friends in the gym community and no one has a space for me, and honestly, Im not sure Id be willing to go.

Ive been eyeing some DIY slater stones molds made of fiberglass ... Id love to try this out, but it takes about a week or more to let the cement settle + the fiberglass.
Ive been eyeing a yoke, but thats gonna be expensive as all hell even if I weld it myself (Not sure Id trust my weld to handle 500+ pounds, lol.)

Reactions: Mrb1p

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Went to IGA, looked like a normal day except there was no TP. Plenty of food on the shelves though. People are freaking morons.

Pretty sure that in the zombie apocalypse, the zombies will all have clean butts.

Still, this was not a fun experience, I was trying to avoid people. And now we hear it does not matter because the virus can stay in the air for hours ? This is freaking crazy.
Both my grocery store and drugstore 1 block away were still pretty empty yesterday... no TP of course, but also many other items out of stock such as canned foods, frozen food, etc. Much less people than last Thursday night though.

Ouf. You know things are bad when you're picking up the single rolls.
Andy raided the grocery store's bathroom :sarcasm:

It's going to get far worse. As they announced on CTV news today, without migrant workers being allowed in to gather crops, Quebec farmers expect their crops to rot in the fields and not make it to market. There will be some produce from foreign countries but they will also be in short supply in their home countries. If they have extra produce to export, and that's an if, we may get some but it will be less than normal. With the loss of Quebec products and fewer imports, the prices of produce are expected to rise by at least more than 100%.
I think they are still allowed in Quebec (or Canada?) as an exception, but good luck making them travel here with no flights available!

Im comin over

I have a slight cough tho but im sure its nothing, we can still share utensils
Meh... it's just your regular end of winter cough, nothing to worry about :laugh:

Edit: BTW, for Plague Inc. fans, you know it's game over for the COVID-19 when Madagascar has not been affected yet and they decided to close their borders...
(COVID-19) Madagascar suspend toutes les liaisons aériennes régionales et internationales - Xinhua | Actualités Chine & Afrique (French)

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Yes isolation is the only way I understand. We are self isolating. I do however think there are alternatives in the short term that would allow people to provide for their family without waiting on gov support. We would be tiling a new build next week with nobody else there. We were concerned with dropping off our 8yo to his grandmother's if he was infected. A test would have given us the option of not NEEDING the help gov is offering and provide more security for us during this time. With that said though we now have no choice and will do the responsible thing for sure and quarantine. Times have been tough in NL with snowmageddon and our tile supplier having the roof blow off so an extra job before sh** hits the fan would have helped and could have been made possible was my main rant I guess.

My point is you don't have a choice regardless. You are supposed to self isolate no matter what.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Like others have mentioned, the one advantage to this situation is that we're actually finishing the food that's left in the fridge instead of throwing away what's left after one week. Haven't eaten out for the last 2 weeks, so we're cooking more and eating better.

Oh, and I don't have to get up at 5:45am to put a suit on and rush to work. I can take up at 7 and put on a pair of jogging pants :naughty:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes isolation is the only way I understand. We are self isolating. I do however think there are alternatives in the short term that would allow people to provide for their family without waiting on gov support. We would be tiling a new build next week with nobody else there. We were concerned with dropping off our 8yo to his grandmother's if he was infected. A test would have given us the option of not NEEDING the help gov is offering and provide more security for us during this time. With that said though we now have no choice and will do the responsible thing for sure and quarantine. Times have been tough in NL with snowmageddon and our tile supplier having the roof blow off so an extra job before sh** hits the fan would have helped and could have been made possible was my main rant I guess.

FTQ just asked quebec to close all construction sites, so its probably coming soon to you.

I have a mini but I wouldnt be able to deadlift it unless I had a cool deadlift attachment. I need to be friends with a welder.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not under my watch they do.

The young shall inherit a dearth of internet tales (sadly).

Like the one about plagues and the like allegedly having happened in 1620, 1720, 1820 and 1920.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Regardless of the source, trying to shift the focus away from those who are responsible for public health onto a third party is despicable. The national guard - armed forces have not yet been deployed to assist. The catastrophe has already happened. Only the full extent is unknown.
The 3rd party as usual? Is the Western World

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
FTQ just asked quebec to close all construction sites, so its probably coming soon to you.

I have a mini but I wouldnt be able to deadlift it unless I had a cool deadlift attachment. I need to be friends with a welder.

Yeah we figured it was coming here but it is looking like faster than we thought. Thanks for the update.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
My point is you don't have a choice regardless. You are supposed to self isolate no matter what.

Yes I understand. On an Island with 0 confirmed cases though it would be in gov best interest to enable the economy to proceed through rigorous tests and screenings. We will have cases soon but in the short term those measures could help a lot of people here that have been hit already with a state of emergency this year. My wanting to do one more job in no way diminishes my realization of the severity of this virus and the need to self isolate

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

These international and national closings have created chaos with the world's economies. In Canada, approximately 25% of small businesses are not expected to survive if this lasts much longer. Restaurants are being closed and employees being laid off. Larger companies are also laying off workers. It's getting very bad.

At the rate we are going, we are moving into a self imposed large case depression with high unemployment that could out scale the 1930s. If the governments don't allow things to get back to normal in a week or so, we will suffer the consequences.

Yet, what will be different in a week, or two weeks, or a month with COVID19 ... nothing except there will be more cases within Canada and Quebec. Eventually COVID19 will spread everywhere and to all.
It's not IF will happen, but rather WHEN. In the meantime, we killed our economics and will suffer that as well as the virus.

We have many people stuck at home with no work. Seems mainly a logistical problem to spin excess labour into picking crops. I'd probably volunteer. Picking fruit in the open sun rather than being couped up in a home office? Yeah sign me up. Mrb1p needs the physical activity,too. He's going to hurt somebody.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Air Canada stock keeps plummeting. We went from 52ish dolars pre coronavirus to right now 12$. I think we all about to get dumped. I am so stressed right now...

Yeah this has been a wild ride for AC. Hope it works out for you

JNUG/NUGT and JDST/DUST have also been a fun ride over the last two weeks. My preferred degenerate vehicles, if you will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad