GDT: 2019 IIHF World Championship IV - Knockout round (OP Warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Nico is one of my favorite players. The most similar player to him in the 2019 draft both in talent level and style is Alex Turcotte, who is likely to go third or fourth overall, in my estimation. This is in no way a knock on Nico -- the Devils are very fortunate to have him, and I would predict him to be in the 70-point range next season, while playing an outstanding all-around game.

Yeah, Nico is like Patrice Bergeron, also one of my favorite players. Both played in the Quebec League and had very similar rookie seasons. Let's see if Nico can match Bergeron's 3rd year offensively, which I doubt. But then again, year 3 was Bergeron's best offensively until the current one. I think Nico could have a very similar career to Bergeron's offensively. Him and Hughes as #1 and #2 centers is a really nice fit, because they are so different. That would be so fun to watch them for the next 12 or so years.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
This isn't the case though. He very much had dominant games where didn't score or had a major impact, at least. Today as an example, he drew the penalty to help Finland tie the game. Who knows if they come back without that.

Obviously Kakko scored more and played better before the elimination games, but the notion he got "figured out" is just wrong. Also, Kakko is a very good passer and is very creative (not as good as Hughes is though as a passer), just watch his Liiga play for that.

I know he draws penalties frequently, not just today, but also in some of the other games. He is hard to stop, that is not in doubt at all. But he clearly had far less space to do his thing and it worked pretty well for the opponents. His impact got smaller and smaller and today, besides the penalty he drew, he had one really good sequence and that was it.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
As the games got more meaningful and NHL-like - faster, tighter and more physical with a lot more individual skill creating separation - Kakko was less impressive to me. Playing a mature game at his age is terrific. But again - that's for his age. You have to look for the things that separate a player at the next level and I just have a tough time seeing him dominate when there's less space, less time and every other guy is built like him but with more experience. Where's the advantage? His IQ isn't that good. Neither is Hughes'. The difference is I know right now that Hughes can outskate and outpass 90% of the NHL.

People are bad at evaluating unique advantages. It's true in businesses, it's true in hockey players. You have to know when you're looking at something that doesn't come around that often.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I know he draws penalties frequently, not just today, but also in some of the other games. He is hard to stop, that is not in doubt at all. But he clearly had far less space to do his thing and it worked pretty well for the opponents. His impact got smaller and smaller and today, besides the penalty he drew, he had one really good sequence and that was it.
Look at the sequence from today for an example. Not to use the "bad teammates" card, but he held that puck for 10-15 seconds and no one was open. I think a lot of it was Kakko trying to do everything on his own, given the fact his linemates weren't NHL caliber players. Regardless, he still had the 2nd most points ever for a U18 player at the World's, it's not like he had a single point or something, and that's not factoring the impact he had outside of the box score.

I think tournaments in general get weighed too heavily though, so I rather always focus on league play with consistent linemates and system, in which case, both Hughes/Kakko clearly dominated.

Reactions: NJ07102

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
As the games got more meaningful and NHL-like - faster, tighter and more physical with a lot more individual skill creating separation - Kakko was less impressive to me. Playing a mature game at his age is terrific. But again - that's for his age. You have to look for the things that separate a player at the next level and I just have a tough time seeing him dominate when there's less space, less time and every other guy is built like him but with more experience. Where's the advantage? His IQ isn't that good. Neither is Hughes'. The difference is I know right now that Hughes can outskate and outpass 90% of the NHL.

People are bad at evaluating unique advantages. It's true in businesses, it's true in hockey players. You have to know when you're looking at something that doesn't come around that often.
I mean, I just plainly disagree. Kakko's strength is his ability to maintain the puck in the opponent's zone and just create havoc, even with limited space. I don't think he can drive a line into the opponent's zone like Hughes can/will be able to do, but I'd argue that what you criticize of Kakko is actually one of his biggest strengths.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

His unique advantage is that he combines such a rare mix of skill, and a player like him doesn't come around too often. Along the boards he's incredibly difficult to knock off the puck, his puck protection skills are insane. He has good edgework and hands to control the puck in tight, use his body to shield the puck and then move past defenders to create space. Once he has that space he has great vision to make plays to teammates, but he also has a fantastic shot so he's a threat to score himself that needs to be looked after. Whereas Hughes' advantage is just making plays at an absurdly high pace that would be matched by only a few in the NHL, along with his incredible vision.

I can see both translating very well to the NHL and becoming elite players in the league. Hughes definitely fits the style of play we have a lot more though, and having a one-two punch of him and Hischier is hard to pass up. But Kakko may give us an element to our team we don't really have. I really don't see either choice being wrong, they're both probably going to be top players in the league.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Agree to disagree. I don't see it as a clear strength - we didn't really see it show up as the tournament progressed. That possession he had that got the analysts to gush ended up with Nurse pasting him to the boards.

His major contribution in the final games was tripping over a stick. Still a phenomenal player, of course.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
His unique advantage is that he combines such a rare mix of skill, and a player like him doesn't come around too often. Along the boards he's incredibly difficult to knock off the puck, his puck protection skills are insane. He has good edgework and hands to control the puck in tight, use his body to shield the puck and then move past defenders to create space. Once he has that space he has great vision to make plays to teammates, but he also has a fantastic shot so he's a threat to score himself that needs to be looked after. Whereas Hughes' advantage is just making plays at an absurdly high pace that would be matched by only a few in the NHL, along with his incredible vision.

I can see both translating very well to the NHL and becoming elite players in the league. Hughes definitely fits the style of play we have a lot more though, and having a one-two punch of him and Hischier is hard to pass up. But Kakko may give us an element to our team we don't really have. I really don't see either choice being wrong, they're both probably going to be top players in the league.
Great post.

They will dominate the game in different ways, and Hughes plays the more valued position, but they both can become elite offensive players. Franchise changing talents, for sure.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Agree to disagree. I don't see it as a clear strength - we didn't really see it show up as the tournament progressed. That possession he had that got the analysts to gush ended up with Nurse pasting him to the boards.

His major contribution in the final games was tripping over a stick.
I mean, he was looking, borderline begging for someone to get open for 10-15 seconds. The fact he controlled the puck that long with no one getting open is impressive in its own right.

And regarding the second point, he used a very creative and skilled move to draw the penalty, so it certainly was earned. And yes, it was very important. Who knows if without drawing the penalty if Finland ties the game.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

His major contribution in the final games was tripping over a stick. Still a phenomenal player, of course.

I mean, he's also only 18 still and he's only going to get better in that regard. The fact that he's shown such dominance already with that aspect of his game is amazing.

But sure, agree to disagree. I can only guess so much lol

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
To be honest, I think after seeing how Kappo plays and scores for a couple of games, opponents figured what to do and shut him down. And it wasn't rocket science. Keep him close to the boards, stay tight, send a second guy occasionally. He is not a great passer, so it was enough to keep him in check closely.

I'd have to disagree with this. I think Kappo is an excellent passer. I think it's important for Devils fans not to unduly disparage Kakko like has been done to Hughes, so I felt it necessary to mention this. He's not one of the top 5 passing forwards in the draft, but I'd say he's somewhere around the top 10, which is very, very good. Just for kicks, I will give it a go:

Top Passing Forwards in 2019 Draft:
1 Hughes
2 Zegras
3 Turcotte
4 Dach
5 Krebs
6 Suzuki
7 Rees
8 Kakko
9 Boldy
10 Kaliyev

The fact that Kakko is also a top-3 goal scorer in this draft (behind only Caufield and Kaliyev) is testament to just how outstanding of an offensive prospect he is. While Kaliyev's offensive ceiling is in many ways higher than even Kakko's, Kaliyev's lack of anything resembling the complete game which Kakko possesses in spades makes him the far lesser prospect than Kakko.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yup, agreed. It was a great possession and that was a great move to draw the penalty. But I also don't think it's anything I haven't seen from a lot of a young great players. He's bigger, sure, but much of that gets eaten away at the NHL level.

I also want to be clear that, in this context, I'm talking about reasons NOT to take Hughes. Kakko is phenomenal and, as I've said before, it would take quite a set of skills for me to pass on him. Hughes has it to me.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
All I know is that the first Kakko/Hughes game at MSG in the regular season is going to go for a lot of money on TM. :help:

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
Both Hughes & Kakko have me excited for this franchise moving forward. We have been through a lot since after the 2012 playoff run. The fact this franchise is adding an elite superstar talent with Hughes or Kakko that could turn this franchise around quicker then most expected should have fans estatic and not arguing. Be happy the Devils are adding a phenomenal piece to build this team back into a legit contender. Whether it is Hughes (Most Likely) or Kakko. This franchise is finally adding a piece to help them turn a corner. New Jersey Devils are officially on the rise again and instead of arguing fans should just be happy with who ever we select as its going to help us become a force again. Our time is coming so lets all just sit back and enjoy the ride. It is only the beginning of something special here in New Jersey.

Lets Go :devils

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Market square was packed in Helsinki :laugh: tens of thousands of people celebrating like the world was about to end :laugh:

Attachments

• 20190527_002503.jpg
    20190527_002503.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 2

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Kakko does sound a bit like Jagr in the style of game they play, the only difference between the two is Jagr's playmaking and passing was elite status or near it. And that's not a knock on Kakko at all, it just means his playmaking and passing could be waaaaaaay above average, it's just not near Jagr, not many were. But if the rest of his game is then the Rangers are looking at a 40 goal scorer.

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
Kakko does sound a bit like Jagr in the style of game they play, the only difference between the two is Jagr's playmaking and passing was elite status or near it. And that's not a knock on Kakko at all, it just means his playmaking and passing could be waaaaaaay above average, it's just not near Jagr, not many were. But if the rest of his game is then the Rangers are looking at a 40 goal scorer.

And what would you suggest NJD are getting with Jack Hughes?

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I can genuinely say I don't care if it's Hughes or Kakko. It just sucks the other is going to the Rangers since they are both franchise altering players. Two years ago I wanted Nico a hell of a lot more than Nolan.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
And what would you suggest NJD are getting with Jack Hughes?
For his ceiling? Kane skill level just as a center and maybe a touch worse as a goal scorer. In other words, a hell of an offensive playmaker at the most important position.

Kakko is Rantanen but on steroids. Plays a similar style to Jagr, but obviously doesn't have all of the traits that made Jagr an all time great. Regardless, an all around offensive force.

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
For his ceiling? Kane skill level just as a center and maybe a touch worse as a goal scorer. In other words, a hell of an offensive playmaker at the most important position.

Kakko is Rantanen but on steroids. Plays a similar style to Jagr, but obviously doesn't have all of the traits that made Jagr an all time great. Regardless, an all around offensive force.

So Kakko more a mix of Forsberg and Rantenen with a bit of similar traits to Jagr & maybe Nash?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Like I've written before both are terrific prospects so I agree with you. They are so different that it makes me think a combination of the two would be unstoppable, but even the way they are they should end up being top players in the NHL.

By the way, while it's not a perfect stat (well I guess none of them are), Kakko's +- was 10, which was the best of the team (tied with Manninen).

Reactions: Verdoux
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna