GDT: 2019 IIHF World Championship IV - Knockout round (OP Warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
So Kakko more a mix of Forsberg and Rantenen with a bit of similar traits to Jagr & maybe Nash?
Lmao! An NHL mut. :P

But there are aspects to his game from all of them. I see him being a much better player than Nash was, and a touch better than Rantenen.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Plays a similar style to Jagr, but obviously doesn't have all of the traits that made Jagr an all time great.

But Kakko scored more points in the WHC than Jagr at the same age ;) I just noticed that they almost share their birthday (separated by 2 days).

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Would love either player on this team. Really dont think we can lose this one. I do think Kakkos game would play really well on nicos wing. theyd be a puck possession force.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
But Kakko scored more points in the WHC than Jagr at the same age ;) I just noticed that they almost share their birthday (separated by 2 days).

Let's not put too much pressure on Kakko just yet. Jagr was a top-5 winger in the history of hockey. Can he be a better version of Rantanen or a Rick Nash with superior passing/vision? Certainly. But when people compare him to Jagr or Jerome Iginla it's a bit much to ask.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Let's not put too much pressure on Kakko just yet. Jagr was a top-5 winger in the history of hockey. Can he be a better version of Rantanen or a Rick Nash with superior passing/vision? Certainly. But when people compare him to Jagr or Jerome Iginla it's a bit much to ask.

I was 100% joking. Well not joking with the fact I mentioned, but I never meant to compare him with Jagr. Actually it'd be quite ridiculous at this point. In fact he's still at the beginning of his career, but the start couldn't be much more promising.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I was comparing his style to him, I wasn't anointing him the next Jagr or a Jagr 2.0, I think I was pretty clear about that when I pointed out where he falls short compared to Jagr but the way he can control the puck and be hard to move off it does bring Jagr to mind.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I was comparing his style to him, I wasn't anointing him the next Jagr or a Jagr 2.0, I think I was pretty clear about that when I pointed out where he falls short compared to Jagr but the way he can control the puck and be hard to move off it does bring Jagr to mind.

I hate to be a one-upper, but I once compared Denis Gurianov to Vladimir Tarasenko and someone paid me for it.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yup, agreed. It was a great possession and that was a great move to draw the penalty. But I also don't think it's anything I haven't seen from a lot of a young great players. He's bigger, sure, but much of that gets eaten away at the NHL level.

I also want to be clear that, in this context, I'm talking about reasons NOT to take Hughes. Kakko is phenomenal and, as I've said before, it would take quite a set of skills for me to pass on him. Hughes has it to me.
I wonder if with the trend of smaller puck moving players, especially on d, but even a center like Hughes, if the bigger power fwds aren't going to enjoy a higher level of success in the upcoming years.

Reactions: Oneiro

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I wonder if with the trend of smaller puck moving players, especially on d, but even a center like Hughes, if the bigger power fwds aren't going to enjoy a higher level of success in the upcoming years.
I think if nothing else, highly skilled power forwards are going to be available later in the draft (potentially as steals) if they're not speed demons.

You can't physically clear the crease while covering your man anymore, but once a rebound hits the blue paint it's nice to have D than can shove forwards away, and it's nice to have forwards too being to be shoved away, so ya, I think you have a good point.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I thought I saw some of Jagr's power game in Kakko, but fair to say he's not near the speedster young Jagr was?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think if nothing else, highly skilled power forwards are going to be available later in the draft (potentially as steals) if they're not speed demons.

You can't physically clear the crease while covering your man anymore, but once a rebound hits the blue paint it's nice to have D than can shove forwards away, and it's nice to have forwards too being to be shoved away, so ya, I think you have a good point.
Ya, and board work, play in the corners, or even on the rush, there are plenty of ways a guy can use size and strength, aside from net front presence.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I know it’s silly but if the Devils went Kakko; I think Talvitie-Kakko would be fun. Hopefully, Talvitie knee heals in time for fall.

Hall-Hughes-Palm
Coleman-Zajac-Wood
Bratt-Talvitie-Kakko

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I know it’s silly but if the Devils went Kakko; I think Talvitie-Kakko would be fun. Hopefully, Talvitie knee heals in time for fall.

Hall-Hughes-Palm
Coleman-Zajac-Wood
Bratt-Talvitie-Kakko

Crazier things have happened.

Crazier then the Devils drafting Kakko, Nico becoming Hughes, Talvitie making the squad and Zacha being nowhere to be found in the top 9? I dunno that combination might be impossible to top.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm fairly confident Talvitie is going to be in college one more year.

Agreed, after the injury the lighter college schedule will certainly be a help to Talvitie's progression and knee. No one has been a greater advocate of Talvitie than myself -- I just love the kid. I think he's destined to challenge for a middle-6 role on the Devils in 2020-21.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Agreed, after the injury the lighter college schedule will certainly be a help to Talvitie's progression and knee. No one has been a greater advocate of Talvitie than myself -- I just love the kid. I think he's destined to challenge for a middle-6 role on the Devils in 2020-21.

He strikes me as a Pietila upgrade. I hope you are right about him. I don't have high hopes personally, though.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
He strikes me a Pietila upgrade. I hope you are right about him. I don't have high hopes personally, though.

You're talking about a kid who is positively teeming with intangibles (leadership/hustle/compete level/two-way effort/smarts) and also features a terrific shot. Talvitie's upside is far above this comparison. Will he hit his ceiling as a 50+ point, two-way middle-six forward who can play all three F positions and potentially wear a letter on his jersey? No one can say for sure, but I'd say his downside is better than Blake Pietila. At the very worst, Talvitie projects as a versatile bottom-six F who can add 15+ goals from a checking role.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad