Post-Game Talk: 2019 IIHF World Championship in Slovakia

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Russians also already up 6-1 over Sweden, looks like the two of them (RUS + CAN) will take top of their groups

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
The number of good young players who are entering RFA status is really hurting Canada at this tournament. For instance, a player like Marner would have gone if it weren't for the fact that he needs a contract. Werenski, Konecny, Trouba and Point are four other young guys who might normally have gone over if not for the fact that they need new contracts. (On that front, I'm surprised that Colin White is playing for the U.S. - he must have told his agent to go kick rocks, as typically the agents tell RFAs and UFAs not to go to the Worlds.)

I haven't seen who Canada is starting in goal today - to me, it's time to see what Carter Hart can do, as Matt Murray looks like he has the yips. He looks like a goalie with no confidence at all right now, which is crazy given his track record of success at a pretty young age...

Werenski is there. And Trouba declined multiple times.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Quarter Finals, Thursday morning. Then it's on to the Finals this weekend. :win:

Screenshot 2019-05-21 17.51.06.png

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Is Jaros injured or dropped did not dress for Slovakia's game today

Couldn't find anything about any injury but I checked the line-ups and the last game he played was against Germany so unfortunately it may have been because of performance, haven't really been following the Košice group though.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't know if anyone has thought of this as it is a pretty esoteric point that requires analytics and years of watching and playing hockey to even begin to understand, but …..

HEADS SHOULD ROLL FOR LETTING STONE GET AWAY

I was looking at these deep advanced stats on Stone, things like, "Game Winning Goals" and "Time on Ice". I then plotted them on a chart with a 45 degree axis running across it, and remarkably Stone came out on the, "Good at Hockey" side of it. Who knew?

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
I was looking at these deep advanced stats on Stone, things like, "Game Winning Goals" and "Time on Ice". I then plotted them on a chart with a 45 degree axis running across it, and remarkably Stone came out on the, "Good at Hockey" side of it. Who knew?

I remember a funny quote about Ryan Smith years back (not to compare him to stone, as there is none) that went something like:
ok skater
average shot
great hockey player

Reactions: Larionov

IpsoPostFacto

Dec 17, 2017
the whole stone thing is so frustrating. Any bozo could show up on draft day, look down the list, and figure "duh, I'll take Crosby".

sens did the homework on Stone and then when it comes time to pay up.....crickets.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I remember a funny quote about Ryan Smith years back (not to compare him to stone, as there is none) that went something like:
ok skater
average shot
great hockey player

It's not a bad comparison, actually - I can buy Stone as a deluxe, upgraded version of Ryan Smyth. It's also true that like Smyth, Stone is much greater than the sum of his parts...

IpsoPostFacto

Dec 17, 2017
It's not a bad comparison, actually - I can buy Stone as a deluxe, upgraded version of Ryan Smyth. It's also true that like Smyth, Stone is much greater than the sum of his parts...
agree in full. I just didn't want to start an fight I wasn't looking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad