Post-Game Talk: 2019 IIHF World Championship in Slovakia

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure how I feel about Balcers. Everything about him seemed to scream (effective) tweener and tweeners usually do really well in this tournament.

I just can't decide how high his ceiling might be.
Just not hard enough on the puck and lacks elite speed to contribute at the NHL level in a top 6 role. Great in this type of environment though not suprised he is having success.

Reactions: aragorn

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Tomorrow morning!

Screenshot 2019-05-15 19.00.58.png

Reactions: Tundraman

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The number of good young players who are entering RFA status is really hurting Canada at this tournament. For instance, a player like Marner would have gone if it weren't for the fact that he needs a contract. Werenski, Konecny, Trouba and Point are four other young guys who might normally have gone over if not for the fact that they need new contracts. (On that front, I'm surprised that Colin White is playing for the U.S. - he must have told his agent to go kick rocks, as typically the agents tell RFAs and UFAs not to go to the Worlds.)

I haven't seen who Canada is starting in goal today - to me, it's time to see what Carter Hart can do, as Matt Murray looks like he has the yips. He looks like a goalie with no confidence at all right now, which is crazy given his track record of success at a pretty young age...

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
It seems like Colin White is now seeing shift with Kane and Debrincat like last year.

Good thing for him.

Reactions: NB613

RobRayzor

Jun 23, 2016
Helsinki
Balcers' point streak ends at 4 games, 1G+6A for 7 points - already better than last year.
2 more games to play (Sweden and Norway,which against last year he had 3 points combined).
Really good tourney for him so far.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm shocked that the Germans rolled over as easily as they did today. They were undefeated heading into the game, although they hadn't really played anyone. Heck, maybe Canada is coming together at the right time.

As for Stone, what can you say? Dude is such a special, complete player. You never know how any player might age, but for the next few seasons for sure this guy is just going to be a beast. Given some of the crazy money bound to be tossed around on July 1, there's a good chance Vegas got him at a bit of a bargain...

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I don't usually like to look past the next game, but cant wait for the CAN/USA game on Tuesday!

Gonna be tuff, playing 24 hours after playing Denmark.

Screenshot 2019-05-19 08.34.13.png

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
From the 2 games I watched of Latvia, Balcers looked good. He needs to be more decisive, though. A few times today he held on to the puck for a second to long or opted to pass when the lane was already closing. He gets a lot of chances but would put up more points if he made decisions a touch quicker

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Congrats to team GB for maintaining their place at the World Championships for next year after beating France in a 4-3 OT win. Of the 25 in the GB squad 23 play in GB the 2 exceptions, one plays in Germany and one Liam Kirk plays for the Peterboro Petes of the OHL.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Rudy finishes tourney with 9 Points, definitely the best Latvian player this year. As Hartley said - wizzard with the puck, the way he sees the ice.
Should be a huge asset for Sens next season.

Absolutley. What he needs to do now is gain some muscle mass and work on his explosiveness in the off-season and he should be ready to turn a few heads in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad