GDT: 2019 IIHF World Championship III (OP Warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It's tiresome how so many with no stake in NJD suddenly feel compelled in recent weeks to come to this team forum every day, several times a day, to debate so vigorously as to why KK > JH.

Unless you're being paid to advise our executive scouting or management, give it a rest already.

It’s mostly not debate, it’s mostly to come here to tell Devils fans how stupid and biased they must be since doing it in multiple main board threads isn’t enough.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I actually mentioned this in passing the other day but could you imagine the chip on his shoulder he'd have against us if after all of our connections to him we did pass at the last minute?
which is why he's going 1OA to us

the pick isn't just about fit and org need, but also a consequence of all the marketing that's gone on tying us to him and tying him to the 1OA spot by the media and ray's connections (and a bit by our own team)

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I actually mentioned this in passing the other day but could you imagine the chip on his shoulder he'd have against us if after all of our connections to him we did pass at the last minute?

Oh you KNOW the main board would have threads calling Shero an idiot for passing on the kid and you know he’d be destined for a hall of fame career haha.

Rangers would then be getting the generational talent lol

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
Juniors are juniors, wont go into that.

But lots of improvement has to happen with Hughes. His too soft now, very talented yes and everything is in there. I would say that its more interesting to see how Hughes will succeed in NHL than how Kakko will succeed.

But what I have seen from Hughes, he will never be in likes of MacKinnon, maybe little bit better version of Nico?

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
NCAA competition is worth rating highly. it's hard to compare Liiga to NCAA, but high level performance in both at a young age are good indicators for establishing an NHL career

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

But lots of improvement has to happen with Hughes. His too soft now, very talented yes and everything is in there. I would say that its more interesting to see how Hughes will succeed in NHL than how Kakko will succeed.

But what I have seen from Hughes, he will never be in likes of MacKinnon, maybe little bit better version of Nico?

If we were debating MacKinnon like we do Hughes we would focus on his only scoring 1 point in 6 games at the WJC and how Drouin drastically outperformed him on the same team.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011

go back to the main board... Hughes and Nico are nothing alike in terms of Play style. Why will he "never be in the likes of Mackinnon"? because you're a homer and kakko has to be better? Hughes has a higher ceiling... that is CONSENSUS. good bye.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Food for thought

What do people make of the fact that Jack is at the tournament for development and he nor anyone around him are concerned for the draft status being changed in this WC?

Doesn't that alone say something? It's not even about confidence IDT, its more about the idea that Jack could have skipped this tournament and still gone 1st. And thats not just Jack saying that.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Food for thought

What do people make of the fact that Jack is at the tournament for development and he nor anyone around him are concerned for the draft status being changed in this WC?

Doesn't that alone say something? It's not even about confidence IDT, its more about the idea that Jack could have skipped this tournament and still gone 1st. And thats not just Jack saying that.
i think the gap closed between him and kakko personally

if he HAD performed well DESPITE coming from U18s (he still could do something), and DESPITE his size and concerns of play against "men", then he'd be the clear cut #1 and no one would have arguments.

that being said, he didn't do anything to hurt his reputation, IMO, BECAUSE of those factors mentioned.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
In my opinion Hughes will end up like Gaudreau in terms of play style, although he is bigger by a few inches so his frame will end up similar to Kane. He's also a quicker skater than Gaudreau even now.

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
go back to the main board... Hughes and Nico are nothing alike in terms of Play style. Why will he "never be in the likes of Mackinnon"? because you're a homer and kakko has to be better? Hughes has a higher ceiling... that is CONSENSUS. good bye.

Im actually pretty neutral and I still think Hughes will go as a 1st pick because of the potential and center.

This is just my opinion, he will have tough times. But anyway great player and NJ is lucky to have him.

And you should calm down little bit, no need to be hostile.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
In my opinion Hughes will end up like Gaudreau in terms of play style, although he is bigger by a few inches so his frame will end up similar to Kane. He's also a quicker skater than Gaudreau even now.
McDavid is the best comparable for playstyles and Jack compares himself to McDavid (obviously not generational)

Gaudreau and Kane do more from a slower pace whereas Jack does everything at high speeds. They tend to slow down the play completely 5 on 5. The only time Kane and Jack are great comparables is on the powerplay IMO.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Im actually pretty neutral and I still think Hughes will go as a 1st pick because of the potential and center.

This is just my opinion, he will have tough times. But anyway great player and NJ is lucky to have him.

It'd be pretty underwhelming if neither Kakko or Hughes ended up in the top-10 players. One or both will.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

i think this is fair, but i think his strength in skating should help him a little. kane doesn't get knocked around much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad