GDT: 2019 IIHF World Championship III (OP Warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wasn't allowed*

It is now, but now everyone is on the defense, so it's kinda hard to read through, but at least it's happening.

You're arguing semantics. Not allowed at all is different from arguing an unpopular viewpoint or not being mature enough to have a debate/discussion without clawing each other out. Even now it's barely above toxic.

Plus there have been actual trolls coming in that stirred the pot as well (mainly in the early part of the tournament).

Reactions: Blender

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Because it's still a worthy discussion in terms of intrigue. It's very rare in a draft where there are two players who are pretty much equally worthy of going 1 and are both potentially elite players. Hischier/Patrick were close, but they were in a lesser league as prospects compared to Kakko/Hughes.

There's no immediate intrigue if the Devils are set on picking Hughes other than fans wanting to argue we 'should' or 'could' go another direction. Even a couple of days ago Button's mock still had us picking Hughes without a qualifier. Of course what Kakko's doing now just cements even more the two will always be compared.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
There's no immediate intrigue if the Devils are set on picking Hughes other than fans wanting to argue we 'should' or 'could' go another direction. Even a couple of days ago Button's mock still had us picking Hughes without a qualifier. Of course what Kakko's doing now just cements even more the two will always be compared.

Another mock 4.0 came out today and Button said Kakko has indeed done a great job and "closed" the gap, but he still has Hughes #1 and simply thinks Hughes is going to be the better player. His opinion, but Jack still is #1 after all of this Tournament stuff. He thinks Kakko will be a damn good player though.

I have a feeling others think like him still even after this tournament. It's the entire body of work and a projection going forward.

Almost time for all of this to be over.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Craig Button's latest mock was before this tournament but after the U18. I personally think the landscape has changed quite a bit since then...you can argue that it's insignificant, but there have been some serious revelations in this tournament from a comparison aspect.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Craig Button's latest mock was before this tournament but after the U18. I personally think the landscape has changed quite a bit since then...you can argue that it's insignificant, but there have been some serious revelations in this tournament from a comparison aspect.

The last mock was posted two days ago in the actual draft thread, it's current.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I cant flippin' believe the Hockey Network isnt playing USA versus Russia live tomorrow, and instead is playing the Canada game.

EDIT:

But USA Hockey says it's the USA game. Someone is clearly wrong, as DirecTV Guide says it's playing Canada vs. Switzerland.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
What do we think the odds are that Paul Castron has ever read anything I've written? Unfortunately, I'd have to put those odds as equivalent with Bigfoot eating Pringles on my front stairs when I get home later.

Your approach to player selection and insights into how teams approach the draft is great and those of us who only have so much time to form our own opinions really appreciate your time and effort. Once you explained how great it would be for NJ to aspirationally get Ty Smith you have my trust. As for Bigfoot I’ve decided he is actually out of focus in real life and those fuzzy pictures actually capture him accurately.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I cant flippin' believe the Hockey Network isnt playing USA versus Russia live tomorrow, and instead is playing the Canada game.

EDIT:

But USA Hockey says it's the USA game. Someone is clearly wrong, as DirecTV Guide says it's playing Canada vs. Switzerland.

Jack and Suter having a good time at least

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
The idea of signing a big guy to protect a smaller star needs to stop. Let's say Cody McLeod takes a cheap shot at Hughes, and Ferland then goes after him. Hughes has already been hit. No deterring done there, at all. It's a silly argument. That's not to say Ferland is a bad player (i quite enjoy watching him), but signing him for that reason, especially at the salary he's likely to command, is not worth it
When did I say that would be the only reason?

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Good points and I agree with nearly everything you said here...but 21-24 is not short term...21 to 24 is 3 to 6 YEARS from now. 6 years is 2025....I know because my earliest retirement date is 8/1 2025. That is a long ****ing time from now.
Thanks.

But yes, that’s a long time. That’s part of the reason I’m okay with trading Hall. The team maybe bubble team next year but they won’t really be good until at least two years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad