GDT: 2019 IIHF World Championship III (OP Warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
But Kakko has been better than Hughes in two tournaments already that both participated in and also played against each other in the final.

How was he better at the WJC? I feel like its revisionist history and very reactionary to say that because he scored the gold medal goal that he was overall better.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
We're fine. Once Kakko gets drafted by the Rags, he'll start pigging out on all the overpriced food in NYC.

We'll see who's laughing last when he balloons 50 pounds!

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
the bolded is key though. Shero, Castron, and their team would have had to have Kaapo 1b to Jack's 1a BEFORE the WC. I find it very hard to believe that was the case especially given Jack's U18 performance while Kakko stayed home to train for the WC.
personally, i don't get why kakko wasn't ranked a 1b prospect, or if this tournament moves the needle to that. like scouts had it ranked:

Hughes

Kakko

Tier 3 (rest of the ~top 7)

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
I think the problem is recency bias. This tournament is a single data point for both players. There are many many other data points that will be considered by Castron and co. before they make a decision. Maybe they truly are closer then say Matthews and Laine or McDavid and Eichel (ok that one probably isn't fair but still).

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Yeah people act like its over and Kakko should go first every time he scores a goal in the tournament. Would love to see jack get into a little groove here so people could just chill.

Tell that to the coach of team USA....granted the team has more NHL players than Finland by far.

Jack simply won’t be getting the minutes he needs to get in that groove. He will have to do something with the minutes he’s been given, which have been small.

Should have at least 3-5 points but that’s hockey.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
so you think that the gap between them (though it's grown smaller with this tournament, i'd assume, since (though we hate to admit it) playing against men is a big + for kaapo), was big enough where this tournament still places him in a solid #2 spot?

Easily. The playing against men doesn’t mean nearly as much as some want it to be.

This tournament doesn’t mean much st all. It just reaffirms what I already know.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Meh, IIHF tournament selections are always hilarious, Sweden's goalie won MVP in like all their game when none of the Swedish fans agreed on that.
now you're just making excuses to suit your agenda

if kakko gets MVP of the tournament but nico hischier scores the game winner, would you be saying the same thing

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad