GDT: 2019 IIHF World Championship III (OP Warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Since there seems to be need for warnings, here they are:

If you're an outsider and want to talk hockey feel free. If you're just an outsider here to stir the pot you will get dinged for trolling/flaming and possibly threadbanned. Be respectful, this isn't the mainboard.

And to the homeboarders, no more complaining, namecalling or whining from you either. Counter-flaming is policed the same way as flaming and name-calling isn't tolerated whatever poster(s) it's directed at. If you see a post that's problematic, don't respond in kind - ignore and/or report it.

Now let's try to continue with some form of civility.

Reactions: GameSeven and JK3

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
People need to quit bringing up how Jack stayed with the USNDTP for an extra year. He had no choice to go the routes most went and why would he leave a great program for another junior league?

On top of that he set records in his first year... the same age everyone else like Matthews Keller etc etc all played in the USHL.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
From the previous thread.

WRONG

I have been a hughes guy since the lottery. miss me with that.
You could very well not be biased, but the way you worded the comparison between Hughes and Kaako there was dripping with bias. Bringing up Kaako scoring the winning goal in the WJC as if one game can be used to determine anything (Mike Rupp has a game 7 stanley cup winning goal etc) especially when Kaako was pretty meh for the WJC tournament as a whole. Its silly as well to put down what Hughes has done in the USHL as if its super easy to be 2 ppg at that level. He also is above 1 ppg agains NCAA competition, which afaik isn't that much of a step down from Liiga (feel free to correct me here I'm not much of an advanced metrics kind of guy). The amount of hyperbole/dishonesty when discussing these two players is unreal at this point.

Kaako looks fantastic and is likely going to be star winger based on this tournament and his play in Liiga. Hughes is likely going to be a star center regardless of this tournament. I have a hard time believing a player could put up the numbers he has at just about every level he has ever played at and not kill it in the NHL.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Id go out on a limb and say it was expected Jack underperform and Kakko kill it (obviously not to this extent IDT many predicted that)

Just like Jack, his father Jim, our beat writers, his previous coaches, etc etc... have all said - this tournament is NOT for the draft. Jack and everyone around him firmly believe he is the 1st overall. This is for his development and maturity. And to hangout with his uglier brother Quinn :sarcasm:

Reactions: Scooooooooooooot

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
also from the previous thread:

315e5v.jpg

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
sorry @Rejan, my headscratcher emoji was more for the excuses that hughes "team was too strong and we should discredit his U18s record"

people ARE doing that.

you asked about when was the last time a #1OA was from the USHL? the question you should ask is "what is making this kid so special that he's the first one"? within the scope of this tournament yeah, kakko is killin it. but one could argue that he's in his element with the rink size and is being given a ton of opportunity. jack generated 5 SOGs in just 8 min of ice time yesterday, but you're gonna discredit it due to a "weak" GBR playing? and discredit Bowns goaltending?

and if we're gonna discredit his performance yesterday, then should we discredit kakko's performance against weak teams as well, since he'll get golden chances with his minutes?

there's just too many variables to the point that it seems ridiculous to tear down jack. i'm okay with people arguing that kakko is worthy of #1OA, but the argument usually goes "Kakko is great because __________, and Hughes isn't even that good because _________".

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
I will say im not sure why Kakko doing well is a reason to shit all over Hughes. I'm just saying there should be more of a discussion. Gun to my head, I'm taking Hughes still. I genuinely hope this tournament won't change our scouts minds, and I have stated that multiple times. 1 month people.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I will say im not sure why Kakko doing well is a reason to **** all over Hughes. I'm just saying there should be more of a discussion. Gun to my head, I'm taking Hughes still. I genuinely hope this tournament won't change our scouts minds, and I have stated that multiple times. 1 month people.
he's making a good case for why he's definitely top 2. i think he's furthered the gap between him and #3, and closed in on the #1 spot.

honestly, people on the boards and everywhere else are fighting over a draft position, but both are going to hopefully be fantastic players. hughes just seems to make sense for the org more

Reactions: NJDevs26

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I will say im not sure why Kakko doing well is a reason to **** all over Hughes. I'm just saying there should be more of a discussion. Gun to my head, I'm taking Hughes still. I genuinely hope this tournament won't change our scouts minds, and I have stated that multiple times. 1 month people.

There IS a discussion, it's been in multiple threads including these. There just hasn't been any indicator that this tournament has moved the needle to this point anywhere other than here. Even as of a day or two ago people like Dreger and Button still have it in pen we're going Hughes.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
How the heck is Kakko not #1 now? He's proven he can dominate.

I love Jack Hughes, but I'm a bit wary talking about potential, ceilings etc. What if it doesn't happen for him?

Kakko is a safe bet to become a superstar. He will be a top player right away.

Reactions: Jussi and Figgie

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
And a lot of are arguing that - besides talking about it - theres no reason this tournament should affect the scouting UNLESS they had Jack and Kaapo 1a 1b. Which I very much doubt given the connections and Jack's pedigree pre-WC.

This tournament is closer to meaning nothing than it is meaning something for the 1st overall

Reactions: Darkauron

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
How the heck is Kakko not #1 now? He's proven he can dominate.

I love Jack Hughes, but I'm a bit wary talking about potential, ceilings etc. What if it doesn't happen for him?

Kakko is a safe bet to become a superstar. He will be a top player right away.
Its very evident you don't. If you're going to be fully one-sided dont try and sidestep around it

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
And a lot of are arguing that - besides talking about it - theres no reason this tournament should affect the scouting UNLESS they had Jack and Kaapo 1a 1b. Which I very much doubt given the connections and Jack's pedigree pre-WC.

This tournament is closer to meaning nothing than it is meaning something for the 1st overall
i think this is honestly something that could be argued now. don't think we take kakko though, but i think the pedigree is there for both

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Its very evident you don't. If you're going to be fully one-sided dont try and sidestep around it

This pretty much. Sure Kakko is doing very well in the tournament.

But im not going to say Kakko should be the first pick when the majority of scouts and scouting groups by far have chosen Hughes as the number one overall time and time again.

One tournament is one tournament and I think scouts and scouting agencies are not going to put away YEARS of hundreds of other games, tournaments, and championships.. all for just one tournament.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
he's making a good case for why he's definitely top 2. i think he's furthered the gap between him and #3, and closed in on the #1 spot.

honestly, people on the boards and everywhere else are fighting over a draft position, but both are going to hopefully be fantastic players. hughes just seems to make sense for the org more
Yeah people act like its over and Kakko should go first every time he scores a goal in the tournament. Would love to see jack get into a little groove here so people could just chill.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
i think this is honestly something that could be argued now. don't think we take kakko though, but i think the pedigree is there for both
the bolded is key though. Shero, Castron, and their team would have had to have Kaapo 1b to Jack's 1a BEFORE the WC. I find it very hard to believe that was the case especially given Jack's U18 performance while Kakko stayed home to train for the WC.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
But Kakko has been better than Hughes in two tournaments already that both participated in and also played against each other in the final.
but hughes broke records

are you okay with the idea that kakko could be argued as a 1b draft pick, but the devils would take hughes because it makes sense? because if that's rubbing you the wrong way, then like i said, everyone's fighting over who gets drafted where, when the question is about how well a player fits

AGAIN, kakko is a fantastic player who can definitely step in right away

but your bolded statement inherently tears down hughes in order to boost kakko

Reactions: Darkauron and mtnet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad