Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Just an FYI, this is completely false.

The general consensus is there's a gap between Hughes and Kakko, and another gap between Kakko and "everyone else" in the draft.

Saying the consensus is "neck and neck" by MOST professional scouts is either you just making that up or you getting it from some HFBoards "source" rather than reality. You dont get almost all pro scouts choosing Hughes #1 if it's really "neck and neck", which should be intuitively obvious to you.
How else would you interpret this:

Unanimity doesn’t allow for how close the race for No. 1 has become between Hughes, the 5-foot-10, 168-pound American centre, and 6-foot-2, 194-pound Finnish forward Kaapo Kakko, who is now the most prolific under-18 goal scorer (22 in 45 games played) ever in Finland’s top professional league (eclipsing Aleksander Barkov’s 21 goals in 53 games in 2012-13).

“The difference for us, right now, is razor thin,” said one NHL team head scout. “It’s almost a coin flip, pretty much a dead heat. Really close. Call it Hughes at 51 per cent, Kakko at 49 per cent. It’s that close and that could change.”

From: https://www.tsn.ca/hughes-kakko-in-tight-race-for-top-spot-1.1284470 (written Apr 4 before the tournaments)

It's not McKenzie's opinion. It's what McKenzie found when polling professional scouts.

Reactions: Jussi and deflowd

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Huh?

Did you write this incorrectly & flip Euro and NA? :huh:
No, but probably could have elaborated. I'm responding to someone claiming his net drive and board work won't translate, which is crazy when he is doing it right now while playing up in age. Doesn't matter if it's Euro.

I don't really care...watch Kakko's tape. Saying his skills (especially boardwork and shielding) won't translate is the same as the silly people that claim Hughes' skating won't because he "never stops" and does "wide, pond hockey" turns.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I've already answered all this.

I think he's a ~100 point player who is an elite set-up man and creates offense by himself with A+ zone entry skill. I think of him as an Adam Oates, he may only score 24 or 25 goals, but he has 60 or 70 assists to go with it.
Just gotta get the kid a Hull, Neely or Bondra and he'll be all set :rolleyes:

Reactions: mdj12784

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
No, but probably could have elaborated. I'm responding to someone claiming his net drive and board work won't translate, which is crazy when he is doing it right now while playing up in age. Doesn't matter if it's Euro.

I don't really care...watch Kakko's tape. Saying his skills (especially boardwork and shielding) won't translate is the same as the silly people that claim Hughes' skating won't because he "never stops" and does "wide, pond hockey" turns.
It *might not translate, its simple math there’s more room on euro ice especially below the hash marks. I can’t say for sure if it will translate has anyone seen Kakko on NA ice ?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
How else would you interpret this:

It's not McKenzie's opinion. It's what McKenzie found when polling professional scouts.

I interpret it as literally 2 scouts opinion. It's not a "polling" of professional scouts, if it was, then you'd have something, but it's 2 scouts (anonymous at that).

And one of them doesnt seem to think either of them may be stars, so one of them is a negatively-loaded opinion at that.

It doesnt change the narrative of what I've heard the last almost 2 years.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Statistically impossible to have. 51/49 split while polling 10 scouts is how I interpret this one
I think you misinterpreted the meaning of the split. ALL the scouts had Hughes ahead of Kakko. 51-49 is how some seemed to feel about how close the two of them were.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
No it was really a ****ty evaluation of Hughes. He is nothing like Oates....

A) I dont even think your posts on this subject are serious, I think you're just doing your "try to argue with 3/4 the board" thing.

B) You've admitted prior you haven't watched Hughes much. How the hell would you even know?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mean, he is correct that Hughes is nothing like Oates. I only caught the back half of Oates's career but I don't think he was ever fast - he had the ability to shield the puck from defenders and make plays in traffic.

They may end up being similarly valuable players and have similar counting stats, but stylistically they're quite dissimilar.

Reactions: 23 others

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I interpret it as literally 2 scouts opinion. It's not a "polling" of professional scouts, if it was, then you'd have something, but it's 2 scouts (anonymous at that).

And one of them doesnt seem to think either of them may be stars, so one of them is a negatively-loaded opinion at that.

It doesnt change the narrative of what I've heard the last almost 2 years.
Where did you get 2 scouts? The poll was with 10 scouts.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A) I dont even think your posts on this subject are serious, I think you're just doing your "try to argue with 3/4 the board" thing.

B) You've admitted prior you haven't watched Hughes much. How the hell would you even know?

I did watch WJC...Didn't really notice him there but...Since the lottery I have watched a lot of his games on Youtube there are a ton...And I have watched all of the U18. So my viewing is for sure limited...But I think I have some sense of his game...

But if by "like Oates" you mean 25% goals to 75% assist... then he is like Joe Thornton too I guess? ;)

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Where did you get 2 scouts? The poll was with 10 scouts.

Yes, it was unanimous that all 10 scouts ALL said they would take Hughes if they had the #1 pick in the draft.

American Jack Hughes is the unanimous No. 1 pick. Ten out of 10 scouts put Hughes in the No. 1 slot

But that fact badly hurts your argument. :huh:

So, naturally, I assumed you were only talking about the 2 scouts that claim it's "very close".

Reactions: Darkauron

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
They may end up being similarly valuable players and have similar counting stats, but stylistically they're quite dissimilar.

Which is literally what I said; re-read the sentence.

My prediction for Hughes is a 25'ish goal scorer with 70'ish assists, which is exactly what Oates was.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Yes, it was unanimous that all 10 scouts ALL said they would take Hughes if they had the #1 pick in the draft.

But that fact badly hurts your argument. :huh:

So, naturally, I assumed you were only talking about the 2 scouts that claim it's "very close".
I didn't read that there were only 2 scouts that had them very close. He only quoted 2 of them.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I didn't read that there were only 2 scouts that had them very close. He only quoted 2 of them.

If it was truly 51/49 then you would imagine that bunch of scouts would have Kakko first and a bunch would have Hughes first.

It would be unusual in such a tight race for some scouts not to have a different preference between the two; some may not think Hughes can stand up to the size of the NHL, some think Kakko will be less effective on NA ice, or whatever reason.

As an example of a tight race at the end, see Nico and Patrick, that was tight and scouts leaned in both directions. It would seem unlikely that it’s a super tight race but everyone leans the same exact way.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Wait what?

This blew by me...Kakko has diabetes?

3bd792284b3bf11c1c32cfa1b800e7bd.jpg

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
It *might not translate, its simple math there’s more room on euro ice especially below the hash marks. I can’t say for sure if it will translate has anyone seen Kakko on NA ice ?
Uh, yea, we have. And he played a big part in the Fins' Gold medal performance while playing on that NA ice at the time.

Reactions: 23 others
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad