GDT: 2019 Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I keep reading this sentiment but I don't know why people have that impression. I haven't seen anyone suggest Girard is a stud offensively or defensively. I think people just think he's a good two way guy that's really good in transition and can chip in some points.

Girard vs Gardiner is much more about stylistic preference than anything else.

I think he has the POTENTIAL to be a stud offensively. His vision, speed, and ability to make something out of nothing are spectacular. Tact on a few years experience on there and you could easily have a stud. He's a ways away from potentially getting there though.

Reactions: Foxtail

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think he has the POTENTIAL to be a stud offensively. His vision, speed, and ability to make something out of nothing are spectacular. Tact on a few years experience on there and you could easily have a stud. He's a ways away from potentially getting there though.

I think he has the potential to chip in maybe 35-40 points in his peak years but I'm not sure he'll have the role on the team offensively to put up much more than that. Especially since he won't have #1PP minutes with Makar and Byram on the team, and they may even go with Byram on the second unit so they can use four forwards.

He also doesn't like to shoot as much as he should. He likes to make plays with the puck instead, but perhaps the coaches get him to shoot more one day.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Girard has the best stretch pass on our team. I think he's the type that will contribute to the flow of our offensive even without putting up huge points.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
PSA - they have a “Prospect Info” thread ok the Leafs board for the soon to be 25yo Alexander Kerfoot. The same Alexander Kerfoot who’s played 2 full seasons and 150+ NHL games.

Pretty entertaining I must say. Some hysterical homers saying he’ll be a “beauty” for them and such a great add.

However, the absolute winner is the realistic person who actually watched the sharks series and said:

I watched every second of the Col- SJ series. Watching him play i thought to myself: "Wow, this midget lacks situational awareness and is a total non factor". He reminds me of David desharnais
:laugh::laugh:

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
I'll freely acknowledge that a defensive lineup this young brings with it some risk, but IMO they have their veteran d-men already, they're just going to start the year on IR. And even THOSE two guys are on contracts some consider to be problematic.

I mean, I'm looking at this list and there isn't anyone here outside of Gardiner I'd give the time of day to.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Most of these guys are still waiting because injuries and age have set in, or they're just plain ineffective.

Connauton is the filler and I'm fine with him and some combination of Barbs/Graves filling out the bottom pairing until IC/EJ are ready. That's a guy who's been around in the league for a while and is signed to a 1-year deal.

I heard EJ is expected to be ready by the season opener, Cole is not expected until December. I don't think the Avs need to sign another D-man as long as EJ keeps progressing.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
PSA - they have a “Prospect Info” thread ok the Leafs board for the soon to be 25yo Alexander Kerfoot. The same Alexander Kerfoot who’s played 2 full seasons and 150+ NHL games.

Pretty entertaining I must say. Some hysterical homers saying he’ll be a “beauty” for them and such a great add.

However, the absolute winner is the realistic person who actually watched the sharks series and said:

I watched every second of the Col- SJ series. Watching him play i thought to myself: "Wow, this midget lacks situational awareness and is a total non factor". He reminds me of David desharnais
:laugh::laugh:

I went over and gave that post a like. Sad that one of the most liked posts in that thread is the guy posting the advanced analytics on Kerfoot being a defensive stud.

Can't wait for the eye test to show he's actually a dud that was getting opportunities to play with top-tier guys that he didn't deserve.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Holy ****, I can like posts again.

What?

upload_2019-7-2_21-27-48.gif

Reactions: mapletreemarty

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Avs can’t afford Gardiner. He is going to command between 6 and 7 million.
Avs can absolutely afford Gardiner, we can give him 7.5 million or even 8 million for just two to three years and completely jack up Barrie's contract with the Leafs. Win = win situation.

I wasn’t able to like posts for about two months.
Ohhh you got some infractions, was it against Leaf of Ranger fans? :sarcasm:

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Avs can absolutely afford Gardiner, we can give him 7.5 million or even 8 million for just two to three years and completely jack up Barrie's contract with the Leafs. Win = win situation.

Ohhh you got some infractions, was it against Leaf of Ranger fans? :sarcasm:
I’m guessing Oiler fans, haha.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

How?

27m in cap space.

Rantanen - 10m
Zadorov/Compher/Burakovsky - 10m
Kamenev/Greer/Graves - 2.5m

Less than 5m in cap space once we finish re-signing our RFAs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
How?

27m in cap space.

Rantanen - 10m
Zadorov/Compher/Burakovsky - 10m
Kamenev/Greer/Graves - 2.5m

Less than 5m in cap space once we finish re-signing our RFAs.

Yeah I got 6.3M.. 4-7M is a good bet IMO.

I mean there will be some savings if you had to do it with Cole on LTIR, but about half a season's worth?

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I don't think we should sign another D. We have about 25 "maybes" already on our roster - granted, most of them shooting left - but we should be fine if EJ is ready to go in October.

We might have a very young D core but also an incredible talented one. Let them play. Give them a year to figure shit out, we are not expected to compete for the cup anyway - not this season at least. But this core will be so much better next year if we give them the chance to play heavy minutes this year that we will be ready to go for it 20-21. And who knows, maybe with all the experience they get during the regular season we might even be contenders come Playoff time 2020.

Let them play, let them make mistakes and let them learn from it. There will be quite a few OMG moments for sure but the team will benefit from that in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad