GDT: 2019 Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I find it funny how Joe Sakic considers Andre Burakovsky a "shooter". He might have a good shot, no denying that. But the guy is not a pure shooter.

Since 2016-2017, he's 8th amongst all Capitals forwards in shots, averaging ~1.5 shots per game.

For comparisons sake, in his two seasons with the Avs, Alexander Kerfoot averaged ~1.25 shots per game.
I mean without stat watching and keeping an eye in Burakovsky over the last few years I would consider him a shooter as well. His mentality at least.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Stop suggesting Gardiner, its gross. Also he's a LHD. If we really want to add someone to insulate the right side we should be looking to dump Barbs and sign McQuaid or Petrovic

Tyson's production will be replaced with G and Makar getting increased roles.
Gardiner is good, McQuaid who has serious concussion issue and Petrovic suck.

Reactions: cgf

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Petrovic!? OMG people what the hell!? He couldn't even hack it on Edmonton's ragtag blueline anchored by such luminaries as Manning and Russell.

And I'm pretty sure McQuaid was the dipshit who injured Tyson Jost his rookie season so...f*** that. And he's always been useless, not to mention that this team takes enough penalties as is.

How is adding an unskilled meathead to a very deep and talented blueline an improvement!? If they wanted a big body who can kill penalties and throw some checks while playing at least a semblance of defense, they would've kept Nemeth.

I don't get why anyone wants to add defensemen. They already have too many to begin with, and that's taking into consideration that two of them will probably not be ready at the start of the season.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Gardiner is good, McQuaid who has serious concussion issue and Petrovic suck.
He's really not that good. He skates well and has good offensive instincts but his lack of hockey IQ and bone headed defensive mistakes overshadown his skill. Trust me I watch a butt load of Toronto games. Plus he is going to get paid over 6M for 5 or more years probably, definitely not a good investment. And we only need a bottom pairing guy (if we need any at all) hence my suggestions.

Reactions: Foxtail

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I thought that Ferland tweet from Clark was from today and I was thinking where in the hell is he supposed to play :laugh:

I'd love to find a way to add him into the lineup but I dunno how we'd do it.

We are deeeeeeep and skilled.
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Ferland ------ Kadri -------Burakovsky
Compher ----- Jost -------- Donskoi
Wilson ---- Bellemare ----- Calvert
Nieto/Kamenev/Greer

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Petrovic!? OMG people what the hell!? He couldn't even hack it on Edmonton's ragtag blueline anchored by such luminaries as Manning and Russell.

And I'm pretty sure McQuaid was the dip**** who injured Tyson Jost his rookie season so...**** that. And he's always been useless, not to mention that this team takes enough penalties as is.

How is adding an unskilled meathead to a very deep and talented blueline an improvement!? If they wanted a big body who can kill penalties and throw some checks while playing at least a semblance of defense, they would've kept Nemeth.

I don't get why anyone wants to add defensemen. They already have too many to begin with, and that's taking into consideration that two of them will probably not be ready at the start of the season.

The right side makes me uneasy right now lol. So I get it, but adding more depth bodies just to get another right shot probably isn't the right move.

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Ferland ------ Kadri -------Burakovsky
Compher ----- Jost -------- Donskoi
Wilson ---- Bellemare ----- Calvert
Nieto/Kamenev/Greer

Does Kamenev have to pass through waivers? He could use some time in the A to catch up to all the time he's missed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Does Kamenev have to pass through waivers? He could use some time in the A to catch up to all the time he's missed.

He does... but nobody is taking a chance on a guy that has basically missed two seasons and hasn't come close to establishing himself in the NHL.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gardiner still gets talked about like he did 3-4 years ago but he has improved a lot and is a good player. I don't think signing him is all that realistic and he'll probably get a good contract somewhere but if not, adding him for "free" from an asset standpoint would be a very smart move. Avs should be fine if everyone is healthy but they're relying quite a bit on youth (Makar, Girard, and possibly Byram), health (EJ and Cole), and whatever people think Zadorov is.

Reactions: cgf and shadow1

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He is worse than Barrie... but you could argue he would be one of the best defensemen on the team...

Gardiner is a 29 year old LHD. The players he’ll be competing against on the depth charts are as follows:
  • Girard;
  • Cole;
  • Zadorov;
  • Byram;
  • Graves.
He would be at best, the 2nd or 3rd best DMan until Zadorov develops or Byram is ready. Rumoured ask is $7M per, likely for 5+ Seasons.

Maybe for 1-2 seasons before he is bumped to the bottom line. Far too expensive for a player that is really not needed.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Avs likely only have about $4m - $6m in cap space once the RFA's are signed. They can't afford Gardiner thankfully.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Gardiner is a 29 year old LHD. The players he’ll be competing against on the depth charts are as follows:
  • Girard;
  • Cole;
  • Zadorov;
  • Byram;
  • Graves.
He would be at best, the 2nd or 3rd best DMan until Zadorov develops or Byram is ready. Rumoured ask is $7M per, likely for 5+ Seasons.

Maybe for 1-2 seasons before he is bumped to the bottom line. Far too expensive for a player that is really not needed.

Zadorov will never be better than Gardiner (different types of players though). Girard has to take a few more steps to be better, and could be easily argued he never will. Byram is probably 3 seasons away from being better if he gets there. If you can get Gardiner for ~4 seasons around $6m, you should jump at that chance. He's a solid #3D who just has a bad wrap.

Reactions: avsfan3737 and cgf

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Avs likely only have about $4m - $6m in cap space once the RFA's are signed. They can't afford Gardiner thankfully.

I estimated approx. a little higher $6M-$9M, but the same answer. Doubt Sakic would spend the additional $7M+ for Gardiner and rather keep the space for teams needing Cap relief for a price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad