Rumor: 2019 Free Agent Frenzy Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I've tried explaining this many times, but round 438.

People misinterpret the professional seasons thing with regards to the expansion draft way too much... They point to a part of the CBA that doesn't apply here. Starting at age 20, 10 games are needed in any league to count as a professional season, which is true for free agency, but not true for waivers or other professional season definitions. The CBA is confusing and difficult for anybody well versed in it, let alone fans. The simplest explanation I've been told, by an NHL organization's CBA expert, look at the waivers clock and the starting year. Professional seasons start there regardless of games played, exceptions to that require approval by NHLPA and NHL. Which depending on who you ask, you'll get a different answer on Timmins.

If you want a name to look at... Gustav Olofsson:
-Signed in 2014 to a contract starting in 14-15 (waivers age set at 20)
-Played 8 games in the 13-14 season for Iowa Wild on ATO (not on SPC so this season doesn't count)
-Played 1 game in 14-15 before being injured for the season (read below threshold people frequently state for professional season, and one was not accrued for free agency)
-Played 2 full seasons in 15-16 and 16-17 accruing 2 professional seasons for free agency
-2017 Eligible for Vegas to draft and was left unprotected NHL Expansion Draft protected list revealed

2 professional seasons accrued for free agency, 3 for waivers (meaning would have to be sent through in 17-18), had to be exposed in Expansion Draft.

What the Avs will argue in their waiver is the Timmins had a full season wiped out and only had 2 development years and thus should be exempt. It is a good case, but other teams and NHLPA will point right to Olofsson.
I better stay away from this topic, because obviously, i have no idea what i'm talking about ;)

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I'd actually rather keep Landy on the top line to do the heavy lifting for MacK n let Mikko run his own line with Kadri, as he & Nate are better when not differing to one-another and I don't MacK getting worn down by having to play center defensively...but a Landy-Kadri-Donskoi shutdown line could be pretty nasty...
Kadri is good enough to run his own line. Maybe Mikko can run the 3rd :D #options

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I can't remember for the life of me that even ONE team did that when Vegas arrived. And i also remember something like "if a player gets drafted by Vegas he's not allowed to go back to his old team for at least one year". Why do you think soooo many deals were made before the ED 2017?

Thornton was left unprotected and then re-signed with the Sharks on July 1st. Now, he was an old and injured player and not in his prime like Landeskog but it happened.

The rule you're talking about is if a team traded a player to a team not named Seattle, they can't reacquire that player for a period of time. For example, the Avs can't trade Compher to some random team so they can protect him and then reacquire him immediately after the expansion draft.

Reactions: Foxtail

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Thornton was left unprotected and then re-signed with the Sharks on July 1st. Now, he was an old and injured player and not in his prime like Landeskog but it happened.

The rule you're talking about is if a team traded a player to a team not named Seattle, they can't reacquire that player for a period of time. For example, the Avs can't trade Compher to some random team so they can protect him and then reacquire him immediately after the expansion draft.
Yeah, but Big Joe wasn't picked, right? And wasn't SJ one of the teams that made a deal with Vegas? Heck, i don't know anymore. And i don't care either. Landy will be extended and protected - i'm absolutly certain about that.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Canucks are apparently trying to offload Tanev. As a 1 year stop gap I would be all over that. He would be great to take the heavy minutes from Makar especially when EJ gets injured again.

I know he is not the best player but he is solid as a defensive stalwart for 0 offense.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Canucks are apparently trying to offload Tanev. As a 1 year stop gap I would be all over that. He would be great to take the heavy minutes from Makar especially when EJ gets injured again.

I know he is not the best player but he is solid as a defensive stalwart for 0 offense.
Tanev is good and I wouldn’t mind him, but he’s a bandaid. He’s worse than EJ when it comes to injuries and that says a lot.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, but Big Joe wasn't picked, right? And wasn't SJ one of the teams that made a deal with Vegas? Heck, i don't know anymore. And i don't care either. Landy will be extended and protected - i'm absolutly certain about that.

No, Thornton wasn't picked and I don't believe the Sharks had any deal with Vegas. I don't think the Avs would leave Landeskog unprotected either and he'll likely be re-signed well before then but I also don't think there's anything preventing them or any team from doing something like that if they wanted to.

If the rules are exactly the same then Seattle will have an opportunity to talk with all UFAs left unprotected prior to the expansion draft. If they can't get a deal done, it'd be up to them if they still want to risk drafting a UFA or not.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Why would they have selected Thornton knowing he was just going to go back and sign in San Jose that's the point.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
If Benning wants some cap space, offer Barberio straight up for Tanev. Saves him $3M and both are free agents after next season.

Girard Makar
Zadorov Tanev
Cole Johnson
Connaunton/Byram Timmins/Graves

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kadri is good enough to run his own line. Maybe Mikko can run the 3rd :D #options

We barely have enough high-end talent to stretch across 6 positions, and you want to stretch it to 9? Pass on that one from me. Let's make sure our star forwards can thrive now that we've pushed back our blueline advantage.

That's why I'd like to be able to anchor our top 6 around Landy-MacK & Mikko-Kadri, but that would mean having the alternative to make sure that that wouldn't mean 92-29 have to drag along a new version of BDK to limit them.

Totally unrelated, but I wonder if Bura is young enough for us to flip him to Minnesota for Zucker at the TDL?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We barely have enough high-end talent to stretch across 6 positions, and you want to stretch it to 9? Pass on that one from me. Let's make sure our star forwards can thrive now that we've pushed back our blueline advantage.

That's why I'd like to be able to anchor our top 6 around Landy-MacK & Mikko-Kadri, but that would mean having the alternative to make sure that that wouldn't mean 92-29 have to drag along a new version of BDK to limit them.

Totally unrelated, but I wonder if Bura is young enough for us to flip him to Minnesota for Zucker at the TDL?

Probably too young. Fenton would want a 34 year old back, not a 24 year old.

Reactions: S3rkie

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I would definitely go after Tanev, sounds like hed be cheap to get as well.

Between he and EJ you probably get at least one of them in the lineup all year an if we ever get a time with both of the healthy we have some solid RHD depth.

I'd offer up the Leafs 3rd + a small piece if they're simply looking to unload him.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I'd actually rather keep Landy on the top line to do the heavy lifting for MacK n let Mikko run his own line with Kadri, as he & Nate are better when not differing to one-another and I don't MacK getting worn down by having to play center defensively...but a Landy-Kadri-Donskoi shutdown line could be pretty nasty...

Agreed. Spread the wealth. If Panarin was not after the biggest paycheck, we could have had absolute beauty of top 6 - MacK/Panarin on the top line, Landy/Rants on the...other top line. LOL. Too bad.
Hopefully NJD sucks big time next year even with Hughes in line-up, meanwhile we roll straight for play-offs and get Taylor Hall from them at the deadline.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Not worried about the Exp. Draft right now. Lots will change before then, just like it did this offseason. Plus, if you have to, you give Seattle a pick or two, to take a specific player, or not to take a player you want to keep. Other teams did that with Vegas. It will all work out.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think that, other than...

- Signing our RFAs
- 3rd goalie
- Depth RHD
- Depth 13/14th forwards

...we are done.

The last 2 might even come as PTOs in September, who knows.

Wouldn’t expect anything big from here on out.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

In all fairness, a lot of teams have that issue. Usually you have 3-4 and hope for the best.

And yeah, i was joking ... obviously. But we have enough talent to put together two pretty good scoring lines. Up front we look fine...ish.

Last edited:

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
All Sakic would need to do is say that Landeskog was interested in seeing what he could get on the open market, before re-signing with the Avs instead.
Again, i'm pretty sure that IF Landy isn't signed by ED AND Seattle picks him regardless he is not allowed to re-sign with the AVs. He doesn't have to sign with Seattle either so it would be dump by them to do it if they do not have an agreement with him, but it's not impossible either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In all fairness, all lot of teams have that issue. Usually you have 3-4 and hope for the best.

And yeah, i was joking ... obviously. But we have enough talent to put together two pretty good scoring lines. Up front we look fine...ish.

No worries, I was just over-reacting to your post to jump into my own spiel about adding another reliable top 6er (even if a lower end one), because the teams who've won multiple cups in the past decade generally had at least 5 legit top 6ers...most of them stars...and we do have the rare opportunity to join that club with another piece up front and some luck on the blueline.

Last edited:

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Again, i'm pretty sure that IF Landy isn't signed by ED AND Seattle picks him regardless he is not allowed to re-sign with the AVs. He doesn't have to sign with Seattle either so it would be dump by them to do it if they do not have an agreement with him, but it's not impossible either.

The Curious Role Of UFAs In The Expansion Draft - SinBin.vegas

Basically we can have an unsigned agreement with Landy , which is allowed before the XD, then it allows us to protect another player. Risky but not if the player can be trusted.

I think they Avs might do this .

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You know we've finally hit the dead part of the offseason when NHL Network Radio is just playing the same Stellick and Simmer segment over and over again.

I'm still not ready though...I keep checking my phone to see if a new 31 Thoughts podcast has been posted. They HAVE to do at least one more!

Reactions: Cousin Eddie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad