Rumor: 2019 Free Agent Frenzy Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Don't need to protect Timmins, if he had played any he would have needed to be, but not now to the best of my knowledge
Yep. The only reason Makar needs protection is because he played for the Avs last season. Timmins didn't. So to my knowledge he's not needing protection.

If we go 7-3-1 we may lose EJ or Zad. But we still have 2 years to figure that out. A lot can change.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Don't need to protect Timmins, if he had played any he would have needed to be, but not now to the best of my knowledge
I remember seeing discussion here that it wasn't clear whether the need to protect him was based on playing some amount or just having signed a contract. Not saying you're wrong, just wondering if that question was ever resolved.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
So if we are looking into expansion draft we will go 7/3/1

Mack
Landy
Rants
Kadri
Jost
JTC
Donoski

Girard
EJ* (if he waives the NMC we could protect Z or Timmins)
Makar

Could lose: Z or Timmins
Shouldn't have to protect Landy as his contract expires so just delay the re signing , perhaps Bura if he pans out

Reactions: Richard88

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
That's not how it works. ED is in June before the actually draft so by that point Landy is still an AV - signed or not. Seattle could just grab him.
Grab his rights so we can just sign him in free agency for nothing . If a deal to re sign is done with Colorado who cares if they take him he just signs here. That would be extremely dumb for an expansion team to do. Take a bunch of free agents and end up with no one

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Couldn't it? You risk putting him on the open market and giving exclusive negotiating rights to Seattle if they drafted him but if you already have a verbal agreement in place, just leave him unprotected and then sign him when he's a FA on July 1st.
Maybe. But i'm pretty sure that those kind of agreements are forbidden by the NHL. And rightfully so.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Couldn't it? You risk putting him on the open market and giving exclusive negotiating rights to Seattle if they drafted him but if you already have a verbal agreement in place, just leave him unprotected and then sign him when he's a FA on July 1st.

Grab his rights so we can just sign him in free agency for nothing . If a deal to re sign is done with Colorado who cares if they take him he just signs here. That would be extremely dumb for an expansion team to do. Take a bunch of free agents and end up with no one

Only the Italien Mafia would do such a think - or Trump. Just protect him and don't make a fuzz out of it.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Why waste a spot , it's not mafia stuff lol , I'd expect all teams would do this
I can't remember for the life of me that even ONE team did that when Vegas arrived. And i also remember something like "if a player gets drafted by Vegas he's not allowed to go back to his old team for at least one year". Why do you think soooo many deals were made before the ED 2017?

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
48 hours before the draft the expansion team is allowed to talk to any unprotected RFA or UFA. If they come to an agreement that is the player selected from that team.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I can't remember for the life of me that even ONE team did that when Vegas arrived. And i also remember something like "if a player gets drafted by Vegas he's not allowed to go back to his old team for at least one year". Why do you think soooo many deals were made before the ED 2017?

I seem to remember that as well. Look, the NHL isn't the best run organization, but they're not that stupid.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Term and expansion draft... teams are afraid of it and are willing to wait these players out. All will probably come cheaper than thought because of it.

Wonder if Joe would circle back to Dzingel to have him just finish for MacK's line and free Landy or Mikko up to play with Kadri & Jost/Donskoi/Bura

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

For UFAs ?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I've tried explaining this many times, but round 438.

People misinterpret the professional seasons thing with regards to the expansion draft way too much... They point to a part of the CBA that doesn't apply here. Starting at age 20, 10 games are needed in any league to count as a professional season, which is true for free agency, but not true for waivers or other professional season definitions. The CBA is confusing and difficult for anybody well versed in it, let alone fans. The simplest explanation I've been told, by an NHL organization's CBA expert, look at the waivers clock and the starting year. Professional seasons start there regardless of games played, exceptions to that require approval by NHLPA and NHL. Which depending on who you ask, you'll get a different answer on Timmins.

If you want a name to look at... Gustav Olofsson:
-Signed in 2014 to a contract starting in 14-15 (waivers age set at 20)
-Played 8 games in the 13-14 season for Iowa Wild on ATO (not on SPC so this season doesn't count)
-Played 1 game in 14-15 before being injured for the season (read below threshold people frequently state for professional season, and one was not accrued for free agency)
-Played 2 full seasons in 15-16 and 16-17 accruing 2 professional seasons for free agency
-2017 Eligible for Vegas to draft and was left unprotected NHL Expansion Draft protected list revealed

2 professional seasons accrued for free agency, 3 for waivers (meaning would have to be sent through in 17-18), had to be exposed in Expansion Draft.

What the Avs will argue in their waiver is the Timmins had a full season wiped out and only had 2 development years and thus should be exempt. It is a good case, but other teams and NHLPA will point right to Olofsson.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Wonder if Joe would circle back to Dzingel to have him just finish for MacK's line and free Landy or Mikko up to play with Kadri & Jost/Donskoi/Bura
I would like to see a Kadri/Landy/Donskoi 2nd line.

We have several options now for Mac/Rants. These 2 are so good that they'll find a 3rd guy to play with. Heck, they even made Ghetto look like a 30 goal scorer for a short period of time. They will figure it out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yep. The only reason Makar needs protection is because he played for the Avs last season. Timmins didn't. So to my knowledge he's not needing protection.

If we go 7-3-1 we may lose EJ or Zad. But we still have 2 years to figure that out. A lot can change.

Cale would've needed protection even if hadn't played for us after signing his ELC for last season.
I don’t remember the nuances of the expansion rules, but would we have to protect Timmins? I didn’t think we would.

I’d also think/hope we have someone better to protect than Donskoi by the time the expansion draft rolls around.

Depends on if Timmins gets a waiver for last season, but he should require protection since his ELC started last summer.

EDIT:
Just read Henchy's post.
Sakic said yesterday that it may even drag into September and it’s not the least bit concerning for him. He’s waiting on Mikko and said they have Aho and Meier as comparables.

AKA...#HoldoutWatch :sarcasm:

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Wouldn't be so sure about it. That's exactly the kind of BS the NHL is trying to kill off.

It's not just he NHL its also the CAB , a player that earns UFA can't be forced to have his rights taken away due to expansion. Grubauer is in the same boat contract will be expired .

All UFA's can't be forced to sign because of expansion.

Didn't Vegas have to pay for Fleury's rights and not the other way around ?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would like to see a Kadri/Landy/Donskoi 2nd line.

We have several options now for Mac/Rants. These 2 are so good that they'll find a 3rd guy to play with. Heck, they even made Ghetto look like a 30 goal scorer for a short period of time. They will figure it out.

I'd actually rather keep Landy on the top line to do the heavy lifting for MacK n let Mikko run his own line with Kadri, as he & Nate are better when not differing to one-another and I don't MacK getting worn down by having to play center defensively...but a Landy-Kadri-Donskoi shutdown line could be pretty nasty...

Reactions: AllAboutAvs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad