Rumor: 2019 Free Agent Boredom Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
tbh, I wouldn't haven minded a cheap one years deal as insurance. I know he's a shell of his former self, but he's still better than the majority of our RD Depth.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
tbh, I wouldn't haven minded a cheap one years deal as insurance. I know he's a shell of his former self, but he's still better than the majority of our RD Depth.

He's on par with a double-hip-impaired Cole

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Glad to hear we were in on him. Proves Sakic isn’t going to make it easy on any young defenseman to make this team. If the Byram’s, Rosen’s and Meloche’s want to play in the NHL this year they’re going to have to prove they’re better than some of the verteran options.

Hopefully this means the window isn’t closed on Gardiner.

Also this might mean Tampa have stepped off their approach of acquiring Risto. I’d trade some nice young pieces to land him.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Glad to hear we were in on him. Proves Sakic isn’t going to make it easy on any young defenseman to make this team. If the Byram’s, Rosen’s and Meloche’s want to play in the NHL this year they’re going to have to prove they’re better than some of the verteran options.

Hopefully this means the window isn’t closed on Gardiner.

Also this might mean Tampa have stepped off their approach of acquiring Risto. I’d trade some nice young pieces to land him.

I agree with all you said except the Risto part. I was ok with Shatty because (although he isn’t exactly what we need) he was a free asset.

Risto is an offensive minded Dman that’s not good defensively. While we could use the extra offense and experience on the blueline this year, that’s not what we’ll need moving forward. So it’d be a mistake for us to give up good assets to acquire Risto because he’s just not a good fit for us.

Savard would be a much better option in my mind and may even cost less to acquire than Risto.

Reactions: McMetal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That opens up a lot of options for Tampa... they got a bargain deal in shoring up the RD. Erne will get ~1.5. So they have a bit under $8m in cap with Point to sign and 2 first round picks next year. While the room is there to get Point long-term, I expect them to still bridge for ~2-3 years. Then accumulate cap space until near the deadline where the extra first should come in real handy to add to the team. BB has done a great job navigating their cap situation and setting up flexibility.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Risto here would be a solid get, but I wouldn't go crazy sending a bunch of assets their way. He's really a 2 year stop gap for any team and should be looked at as such. What I mean by that is he isn't the type of guy you want in your core, he isn't good enough for that.... but he is a solid middle pairing guy even if flawed. When Seattle starts picking their team, I think they will see him with one year left and see a player that could be deadline fodder, but would give them a solid 20 minutes in the meantime. He's the perfect expansion candidate. So... only pay the price for those two seasons.

I wouldn't say Tampa is out on Risto... but their need on the right side is greatly diminished. They have balked at the cost to get Risto for a year now, this allows them to kick the can further. Which gives them leverage against Buffalo's asking price.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I still think it's hilarious that Buffalo is holding firm on trading Risto a year after they kicked Ryan O'Reilly to the curb as quickly as humanly possible.

It's all about the culture, man. Can't have O'Reilly speaking the truth and possibly stepping on GM/HC/Captain Eichel's toes.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Shattenkirk would've been nice depth, its nice to know Sakic is actively trying to upgrade the 5th and 6th defensemen spot as it's a little unknown at this time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Gardiner hope is alive if Sakic is looking to add a defenseman. He may be looking for a cheap RHD but I'm going to keep dreaming until Gardiner actually gets signed.

Reactions: BrickNHL

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I still think it's hilarious that Buffalo is holding firm on trading Risto a year after they kicked Ryan O'Reilly to the curb as quickly as humanly possible.
Kicked to the curb? Last time I chequed, it was O'Rielly saying to reporters that his desire for hockey went down the drain. Don't get me wrong he was probably sick of losing with Avs and Sabres, but you gotta trade players who give up on the team as he did. What is truly terrible for Buffalo is that Botterill - who I don't think is truly terrible - got the absolute worst deal he could ever think of (though it goes beyond just the GM to screw that up) for ROR. So, it makes sense why they meditated under Niagara Falls to strengthen their mind by bringing out their inner Sakic and holding pat until they get a return that is deemed worthy of their player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kicked to the curb? Last time I chequed, it was O'Rielly saying to reporters that his desire for hockey went down the drain. Don't get me wrong he was probably sick of losing with Avs and Sabres, but you gotta trade players who give up on the team as he did. What is truly terrible for Buffalo is that Botterill - who I don't think is truly terrible - got the absolute worst deal he could ever think of (though it goes beyond just the GM to screw that up) for ROR. So, it makes sense why they meditated under Niagara Falls to strengthen their mind by bringing out their inner Sakic and holding pat until they get a return that is deemed worthy of their player.

Yes, I know, and I believe, as others on here do, that O'Reilly said those things in part to engineer his own departure.

That said, if I'm Botterill, then I take my sweet time while looking for a deal. Make him suffer if he feels like he "lost his will to play." You want out? Then play like it. Duchene knew that, and guess what? He played quite well to start out the year. And yes, I do believe the owners pressured him to usher ROR out the door, but that still doesn't completely excuse the horrendous return. I think both Botterill and ownership grossly overestimated how big an impact Casey Mittelstadt would make in his rookie season.

Do I think Botterill is a truly bad GM? Not sure. He's had a very good offseason thus far, but that's a year after pulling off the worst trade in franchise history. And he's already whiffed badly on one coaching hire. At this point I think he's pretty much Dead Executive Walking, so the point may be moot. Again, this is an instance where the real problem is in ownership...the Pegulas appear to be vaguely aware that they're in over their heads in regards to their various flagging sports franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad