Rumor: 2019 Free Agent Boredom Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
They won despite Bob last year, and we've seen over and over again that you don't need an elite goalie to contend (Elvis is also going to be regarded as a top 15 goalie by the end of the season, he's real good). Panarin is a big loss, no doubt about it, and figuring out how to replace him is difficult. It isn't impossible though. They will still be in the hunt for the playoffs this upcoming season... they won't contend next year. If pieces fall right though, they could be back towards the top of the east in 20-21.

Texier is more of a center than a winger, and he has a lot more than 2nd line potential. To me, he's a better prospect than any Avs forward prospect by a decent margin.

I guess my problem is for them to be contenders they have to compete with Toronto, Boston, and Tampa in the east. All those teams have several elite piece up front. It’s possible they get lucky, but I don’t see an obvious answer for them.

And you might be right on Texier, but we already have a Rantanen. To me where CBJ is, is like if we were to lose Rantanen and hope that some combo of Jost/Kaut/Newhook/future draft pick could replace him. Sure, it’s possible, just extremely unlikely. And we aren’t close to a contender without a Rantanen-level complementary piece.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I guess my problem is for them to be contenders they have to compete with Toronto, Boston, and Tampa in the east. All those teams have several elite piece up front. It’s possible they get lucky, but I don’t see an obvious answer for them.

And you might be right on Texier, but we already have a Rantanen. To me where CBJ is, is like if we were to lose Rantanen and hope that some combo of Jost/Kaut/Newhook/future draft pick could replace him. Sure, it’s possible, just extremely unlikely. And we aren’t close to a contender without a Rantanen-level complementary piece.

Toronto is going to have major cap issues after this season pretty heavily and their future defense looks really iffy. Boston is right on the edge of aging out of their window. Tampa will be a contender for a while longer... so I see Tampa as their main competition.

I'm not comparing to the Avs at all here. I'm saying Columbus is much better setup than people give them credit for. People make it sound like they are in dire straights since they basically gave up a whole draft. They aren't. If Tex pans out, they could have as good of 1-2 punch down the middle as anybody in the east along with a top end defensive group.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Toronto is going to have major cap issues after this season pretty heavily and their future defense looks really iffy. Boston is right on the edge of aging out of their window. Tampa will be a contender for a while longer... so I see Tampa as their main competition.

I'm not comparing to the Avs at all here. I'm saying Columbus is much better setup than people give them credit for. People make it sound like they are in dire straights since they basically gave up a whole draft. They aren't. If Tex pans out, they could have as good of 1-2 punch down the middle as anybody in the east along with a top end defensive group.
They won't be a playoff team next year and not even close to being one.

They were extremely lucky to make it last year as was. Add to the fact Columbus is constantly regarded as the dirtiest city in the US probably means none of their younger players will want to stay longterm.

Not sure why all the discussion about Columbus is even taking place, they are probably the most boring team to watch or even discuss. :dunno:

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Those three may or may not fall off, but until they do, their forward cores are significantly stronger than CBJ’s. Every single one of them has at least 2 forwards better than CBJ’s best and better depth after to follow it up. CBJ has a solid D, but not nearly enough to overcome the forward gap. Goalie prospects are goalie prospects until proven otherwise.

I picked the Avs/Rantanen solely because it’s the most familiar. Really pick any top team, yank their best/2nd best forward, and it’s going to be unlikely you fill that hole with prospects (or Nyquist).

The situation isn’t dire, but I do think they’re on track to becoming the next wild without a bit of luck, too bad to really contend and too good to get the gimme draft picks.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know we’re hearing the Mikko contract could go into training camp and all but I have a funny feeling today is the day. Joe’s been working damn hard this summer. He has everything else done and once September comes it’s esentuwlly training camp time. He probably wouldn’t mind having August to himself.

Everyone else is signed, Samwise just signed a very team friendly deal a year early. Plus it’s Friday. Let’s clue up this great summer early!

Reactions: Foppberg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Those three may or may not fall off, but until they do, their forward cores are significantly stronger than CBJ’s. Every single one of them has at least 2 forwards better than CBJ’s best and better depth after to follow it up. CBJ has a solid D, but not nearly enough to overcome the forward gap. Goalie prospects are goalie prospects until proven otherwise.

I picked the Avs/Rantanen solely because it’s the most familiar. Really pick any top team, yank their best/2nd best forward, and it’s going to be unlikely you fill that hole with prospects (or Nyquist).

The situation isn’t dire, but I do think they’re on track to becoming the next wild without a bit of luck, too bad to really contend and too good to get the gimme draft picks.

On the flip, Columbus' top 4D beats all of those teams' top 4D.

I know we’re hearing the Mikko contract could go into training camp and all but I have a funny feeling today is the day. Joe’s been working damn hard this summer. He has everything else done and once September comes it’s esentuwlly training camp time. He probably wouldn’t mind having August to himself.

Everyone else is signed, Samwise just signed a very team friendly deal a year early. Plus it’s Friday. Let’s clue up this great summer early!

Bartender! I'll have what he is having.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The next TV deal better be huge because this summer has added massive goalie deals and every big name RFA expecting big money right away.

Just look how quickly Avs went from $30M in cap space to better be careful mode. That's with dirt cheap goaltending.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The next TV deal better be huge because this summer has added massive goalie deals and every big name RFA expecting big money right away.

Just look how quickly Avs went from $30M in cap space to better be careful mode. That's with dirt cheap goaltending.
I think this could be a key to success. What highly paid goaltenders have won anything in this league? I think John Quick is the highest paid and he was only making like 5.5.

I like Grubi. I think he probably has a lot more to show. But if it’s going to require 7+ million to sign him on his next contract I hope we take a shot on another guy.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Jesse Puljujärvi was born in Älvkarleby, Sweden. We take no responsibility for him being a dum-dum. We are willing to re-think our position should he turn things around, of course.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Jesse Puljujärvi was born in Älvkarleby, Sweden. We take no responsibility for him being a dum-dum. We are willing to re-think our position should he turn things around, of course.
I meant take as in take back. Yeah, no I'm pretty sure that's what being in Torneå does to people.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think this could be a key to success. What highly paid goaltenders have won anything in this league? I think John Quick is the highest paid and he was only making like 5.5.

I like Grubi. I think he probably has a lot more to show. But if it’s going to require 7+ million to sign him on his next contract I hope we take a shot on another guy.
I'm sure Washington will have another young goaltender to part with by then anyways.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
On the flip, Columbus' top 4D beats all of those teams' top 4D.

Bartender! I'll have what he is having.

Sure, but I don’t think the gap is nearly as wide as the forward gap. And I don’t know that I’d want to be the team that relies totally on defense/goaltending to win big. Those teams have a lot of trouble playing without the lead.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Holtby is a UFA next year and has gone through arbitration, which as you lot know has huge implications on staying with his team.

Though he isn't as good as Bob is, if Grubauer fails, he could a very nice additional piece. However, I am wary considering what UFA goalers are currently going for....

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Samsonov obviously.

CoordinatedPlasticCopperbutterfly-max-1mb.gif

I was way off!! Knew it started with an S, though.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Holtby is a UFA next year and has gone through arbitration, which as you lot know has huge implications on staying with his team.

Though he isn't as good as Bob is, if Grubauer fails, he could a very nice additional piece. However, I am wary considering what UFA goalers are currently going for....

I’d rather go Greiss or Halak for 2-3 years than pay Holtby what he’s going to want/get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad