Rumor: 2019 Free Agent Boredom Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I guess I misunderstood, I thought you meant Canadian NHL teams.

That said, I don't understand why he has to be one of the best centers in all of Canada to not be overrated. And I sure as hell woulda not rank him below Couture, Barzal, Scheifele, or Point. And I'd be hard-pressed to rank Seguin above him.
Fair enough but I think you are underating the. Couture is a terrific 2 way center, and Barzal is a really terrific young player. Trotz had him concentrating more on tbe defensive side last season and if course had no #2 to take some heat off him. He drives the play and holds and always has and holds onto the puck with terrific, skating, vision and passing. He's needs to shoot more but he's a better player. I don't think we have similar views on what a better player is. He's the better player you just don't know it yet.;).

Same can be said for Point although I think Barzal is better. Either way he can't make a team Canada at C which is no shame.

PS after all.that I realised I misunderstood you too. :laugh:

Overated because the media had him a top Center in the league.

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'd take Caufield over a lot of players on the Avs. The Habs could offer him up for Z and I'd buy the plane tickets. Z is a solid defensemen and has moments where he looks great, but in the end he is a 4/5 that leans more to the 5 side. I'd trade Z for any legitimate 2nd line wing of similar age with little to no hesitation. He's just not that critical to the Avs, especially as the defense matures.

I think Zadorov is underrated and if he had a higher hockey IQ then he could dominate the game. But I think his contract situation, role on the Avs and the entry draft will dictate his fate with the team. If the Avs had taken Caufield then I would have been fine with it. But they had their chance and they didn't. So everyone will have to wait for their next favorite little guy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Zadorov is underrated and if he had a higher hockey IQ then he could dominate the game. But I think his contract situation, role on the Avs and the entry draft will dictate his fate with the team. If the Avs had taken Caufield then I would have been fine with it. But they had their chance and they didn't. So everyone will have to wait for their next favorite little guy.

And if Wolski had given a s*** he might have ended up a hall of famer :dunno:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yup... Z just doesn't have a high hockey IQ. He's incredibly gifted physically and that allows him to play in the NHL, but his brain keeps him from being a top 4D consistently. At 24 and 310 games, he is who he is. This spade is a spade.

I still have some hope because he's huge, and those guys do have some history of needing longer to figure out how to consistently utilize their skillsets, even when they do have high hockey IQs. But thus far, his inconsistency has been the single biggest thing that's holding him back...even over the bavado & creativity with the puck, that he's lost.

...and even as a huge Zads fan -- who was driving that bandwagon even when he was a Sabre -- I don't expect those hopes to become a reality over the next couple of seasons; like they did for Chara / Pronger / EJ (to a lesser extent).

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Here's my current theory: if at least one of Graves, Rosen or MacDonald show they're worthy of a contract extension and a full-time NHL role, Zadorov gets traded sooner rather than later.

It occurred to me after reading Ryan Clark's latest article, about how the Avs built their development system. In it he writes:

The first [significant change Sakic made] was establishing specific criteria for how they evaluate prospects. It is about finding players who fit within the premise of possessing hockey sense, skill and speed.

Hockey sense, skill and speed are not anywhere near the first things I think of when I think of what Zadorov brings to the team. This, along with the now crowded blueline and the likelihood of Girard and Byram being ahead of him before long, plus the expansion draft, means Z's time with the team may be limited.

There are plenty of teams who would see a lot of value in Z, and if we have other guys ready to take on his role long-term (Graves in particular could be this guy), Z's days may be numbered. Plus, if EJ is healthy and Byram makes the team, Z could potentially be traded even earlier than anyone expects.

And don't get me wrong. I really like Z and still have hopes he'll become a steady 2nd pair defenseman/penalty-killer. But it's looking more and more like his role on the team is bottom pair, and I don't think a) he'll be happy in that role long-term and b) we can afford to pay him what he's worth if that's all his role will be.

And honestly, at this point would you rather have Z, or, say, another highish-end goal-scoring forward prospect? Despite Z's unique and useful skillset, and I think long-term I'd rather have the forward prospect.

Honestly, other than 3rd string goalie, I think that's our biggest need right now. Who in our pipeline realistically projects to be a legit top 6 goal scorer? Kaut maybe? Newhook in several years maybe? Who else? I'd really like a near-NHL-ready goal scoring prospect in the system and I'd be willing to give up some defense depth to get him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Zads actually brings quite a good combo of speed & skill for a huge stay at home type, he's just way too inconsistent and has lost his swagger with the puck...despite being the best passing big man on our blueline & covering tons of ice with just a few strides.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyfysher

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Zads actually brings quite a good combo of speed & skill for a huge stay at home type, he's just way too inconsistent and has lost his swagger with the puck...despite being the best passing big man on our blueline & covering tons of ice with just a few strides.

Yeah the skill and speed are there, but that doesn't matter if he so rarely uses them effectively.

Reactions: flyfysher

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Yup... Z just doesn't have a high hockey IQ. He's incredibly gifted physically and that allows him to play in the NHL, but his brain keeps him from being a top 4D consistently. At 24 and 310 games, he is who he is. This spade is a spade.

It's why I think he's expendable in the entry draft given his role although the prospect of facing Zadorov as an opposing player definitely has a sting to it.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Someone's gotta get him to switch stick brands though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad