OT: 2019 Football Thread: Free Agency and The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Glad to see the Jets didn't trade a bunch of shit to jump to the top of the second like it was rumored they'd do.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
jets love using their picks on D. jeez.
Well they desperately needed an edge rusher.

Their biggest need on offense was at C, and there aren't any centers worth taking that I can see. Project guys but that's it. No one worth it in that spot. That's why they were rumored to trade up into the second, to grab a C.

They could use another WR but I definitely think EDGE was the bigger need of those two. They'll probably draft a C later, but also more defense with a CB and maybe another LB.

They did add Bell, obviously, as well as Osemele and Crowder. So their big offensive moves were in free agency. They unfortunately struck out at center.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Can someone explain to me how my Browns got Greedy Williams at pick 46? I could’ve sworn I saw mocks with him in the top 10...

Am I missing a scandal or something?
I don't remember seeing him in the top ten, but he was definitely a potential first round pick. But as you can see only one CB went in round one (and that was a debatable pick) before the run on CBs in round two. Just not a big year for corners. Really good value, though. He was one of the top three corners for sure.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Well they desperately needed an edge rusher.

Their biggest need on offense was at C, and there aren't any centers worth taking that I can see. Project guys but that's it. No one worth it in that spot. That's why they were rumored to trade up into the second, to grab a C.

They could use another WR but I definitely think EDGE was the bigger need of those two. They'll probably draft a C later, but also more defense with a CB and maybe another LB.

They did add Bell, obviously, as well as Osemele and Crowder. So their big offensive moves were in free agency. They unfortunately struck out at center.
Yea, I'm very content with our offseason, so I'm not going overboard about it. Just seems like we load up on d picks (outside of Darnold/Herndon) and our offense suffers. Obviously thinking/hoping that changes this year, but would be nice to get some talent in the pipeline for Sam.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yea, I'm very content with our offseason, so I'm not going overboard about it. Just seems like we load up on d picks (outside of Darnold/Herndon) and our offense suffers. Obviously thinking/hoping that changes this year, but would be nice to get some talent in the pipeline for Sam.
Yeah, honestly I think they would have picked some offensive guys this year if a) this wasn't a defense-heavy draft and b) we had a second. That's why I'm actually pleased with the draft so far, since it doesn't feel like anything was forced. And so far we haven't tried to get too cute.

Reactions: Shattenhurts

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Yeah, honestly I think they would have picked some offensive guys this year if a) this wasn't a defense-heavy draft and b) we had a second. That's why I'm actually pleased with the draft so far, since it doesn't feel like anything was forced. And so far we haven't tried to get too cute.

For once the jets drafted the best player available each time. They didnt reach, they didn't try and get cute and mac didnt try to draft a 25 year old DII player.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Gettleman sits there for 2 rounds with a million picks and does nothing to move up.

We had 3 first round picks and it feels like we got nobody

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Chiefs having a great draft IMO. Got a replacement for the child abuser and some real talent on D.

Now trade for Pat Pete.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Chiefs having a great draft IMO. Got a replacement for the child abuser and some real talent on D.

Now trade for Pat Pete.
Didn't they just draft someone with off the field issues (albeit not as serious) to replace another guy who had major off the field issues?
I would say the Broncos had a pretty good first 4 picks trying to take a page out of the Chiefs book with QB with a terrific arm and tight end who has terrific athletic ability...plus grabbing one of my favorite lineman in the draft.
BTW I like your pick of Khalen Saunders. Great size and athletic.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Didn't they just draft someone with off the field issues (albeit not as serious) to replace another guy who had major off the field issues?
I would say the Broncos had a pretty good first 4 picks trying to take a page out of the Chiefs book with QB with a terrific arm and tight end who has terrific athletic ability...plus grabbing one of my favorite lineman in the draft.
He made some bad tweets when he was he was a kid. He hasn’t done physically violent shit. Hill....well. I know way too much about that shit and it’s f***ing ugly. Like, probably worse than AP. If what is alledged is proven, he’ll never play another down in the NFL.

Thornhill is a perfect pick for our defense and I’ve heard great things about Saunders.

I’m surprised the Broncos got Lock in the second round. Pretty great value there, I’m not a big fan but the upside is there, especially for a day two pick.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Totally agree with you guys so far about the Jets draft thus far. They haven't forced anything....they haven't gotten stupid or cute...I like it alot so far.

Williams was and is the best player in the draft and Jets had to take him and they did. Not sure he'll be another Donald but if he's another Fletcher Cox, we should all be very very happy.

Polite was as the time the best edge rusher available and we had to have one there. Yes there are some red flags but he's a first round talent for a 3rd round pick. I will take that gamble and I'm not going to kill Mac for the pick. DC Williams will get the most out of him I'm confident of that.

Edoga was another need pick as we have to have more protection for Sam and we got it with Edoga who played with Darnold at USC. Gotta be honest, not sure why we had to trade our 7th round pick to Minny to move up just one measly spot but if this guy is as good as Pro Football Focus who for me is the bible as far as talent evals go, says he is the best pass protecting tackle in the draft, I'll go with that and be happy.

Now going forward, we have just two picks left. Personally, I see CB Julian Love of Notre Dame staring at us at our next pick which is the 3rd pick tomorrow in the 4th round. If by chance he's there, I'd love for us to take him. Once again Pro Football Focus has him ranked really high and there have been 4-5 CB's taken in which Love is ranked higher than. He would fill a bigtime need for us also.

WR Hakeem Butler is also still there and tho I love him and think he'd be a nice shiny new toy for Sam, I think we need Love more. We'll see what happens but so far so good here in Jetland in my view....:)

Reactions: nyr2k2

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
He made some bad tweets when he was he was a kid. He hasn’t done physically violent ****. Hill....well. I know way too much about that **** and it’s ****ing ugly. Like, probably worse than AP. If what is alledged is proven, he’ll never play another down in the NFL.

Thornhill is a perfect pick for our defense and I’ve heard great things about Saunders.

I’m surprised the Broncos got Lock in the second round. Pretty great value there, I’m not a big fan but the upside is there, especially for a day two pick.
Yeah definitely good value at 42 albeit I would have drafted another OL or DL. To be fair tho he hasn't had much talent to work with at Missouri unlike Haskins and Murray

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Interesting to see if Jones gets Rosened next year when the Giants have a top 5 pick with Tua or Herbert available to them. Taking Jones at 6 reeks of desperation. I get it at 17, but 6? You can't afford to whiff at 6. I hope the Giants don't sit him all season, then go into next draft with no idea what they have but that feels like the Giants under Gettleman.

I'm pretty happy with what the Jets have done. You need interior pressure to get to Brady, and Williams has a chance to be the best player in the draft. I love the personality too, doesn't seem like a malcontent like Richardson or Wilkerson.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Reading the Jets comments in here is a pleasant surprise considering the horrific and sardonic comments I've read on Jets message boards tonight. It's pure acid in Jetsland.

Polite is a good player. Hopefully he learns from his Combine experience and gets proper coaching from Williams.

Edoga can play. Both players seem to have maturity issues, but it sounds like Edoga made some strides this year.

I don't understand the trade up of one spot, but I don't really care too much about a 7th rounder.

We're the third pick in the 4th round, we're in position to grab Love, Butler, or Michael Jordon who has long-term upside at center.

I can see Mac trading down in the 4th for another 6th rounder though.

Reactions: Maximus

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I'm still waiting for the 26 year old DT from Suffolk Community College. "He really struggled finding himself, but was able to perform at a high level while working a part time job at Baskin Robins."

We got tomorrow for the Nathan Shepherd/Dylan Donahue/Trenton Cannon pick.

Reactions: Barnaby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad