2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
People should be mad at FIFA for having 24 teams when clearly 16 would have been perfect.

At least the game was fun, we had great goals, much better than 1-0 games with one team only defending and the other happy with the one goal lead.
I think if people can restrain themselves from celebrating against a former team they can probably learn to be chill when they're destroying a team that has no business on the pitch with them in the first place. If you 'want to make a statement' or an example of them that's fine, but I think it's extremely cringey to be celebrating like that when you're up 10-0 (or 5-0 for that matter).

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I think if people can restrain themselves from celebrating against a former team they can probably learn to be chill when they're destroying a team that has no business on the pitch with them in the first place. If you 'want to make a statement' or an example of them that's fine, but I think it's extremely cringey to be celebrating like that when you're up 10-0 (or 5-0 for that matter).
Stupid to not celebrate against a former club which you decided to leave in the first place.

I love goal celebrations, stop taking the fun out of the game. World Cup Goals should be celebrated.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
*Hop online to see how the US women did expecting a 3 or 4 goal rout*

Monkey_Puppet.jpg

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Stupid to not celebrate against a former club which you decided to leave in the first place.

I love goal celebrations, stop taking the fun out of the game. World Cup Goals should be celebrated.
Nah I agree. After a certain point it's disrespectful and silly. You're blowing out a clearly inferior team in a group stage match. Maybe tone it down. At least Morgan seemed a bit more restrained. Rapinoe's celebration was ridiculous.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

It's a World Cup, and they qualified, so.....yeah.

They deserve to be there, even if they're heavily outmatched.

Imagine if Egypt fielded a women's hockey team, and their opening round-robin game was against Canada.

Think it'd be close?

Probably not.

I'd agree though that after it was 5 or 6-0 you'd think the cellies would tone down just a tad. :dunno:

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.

Imagine if Egypt fielded a women's hockey team, and their opening round-robin game was against Canada.

Think it'd be close?

Probably not.

I'd agree though that after it was 5 or 6-0 you'd think the cellies would tone down just a tad. :dunno:

Reactions: Cassano

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Nah I agree. After a certain point it's disrespectful and silly. You're blowing out a clearly inferior team in a group stage match. Maybe tone it down. At least Morgan seemed a bit more restrained. Rapinoe's celebration was ridiculous.
Agreed on Rapinoe...celebrated like she was drunk at an after party....I was working so missed the game.
Just hoping the USA will be watching someone dance around them somewhere in this tourney.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Think it'd be close?

Probably not.

Or Spain and Tahiti on the men's side:

Even the first goals Spain didn't really celebrate all that much. It's one thing to get on them for rolling it up, that's stupid when goal difference matters in the group stage and plus everyone gets their chance to get World Cup stats, but yeah the US women were like the proverbial baseball player flipping their bat with a solo HR at 8-0.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I mean, it's team USA. Everyone is going to search for a reason to hate them even more than they already do. That's just the way it is. In the end, who gives a shit. They can celebrate however they like.

Reactions: kingsboy11

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I can’t remember if it was at the Olympics or a previous World Cup but they acted similar against a route against New Zealand in the round robin. Started a conga line after scoring yet another goal. Completely classless.

Although I’ve noticed more over the top celebrations in women’s football than in the men’s.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Listed as over now, at 13- 0 . Most teams would have stopped at around 7 -0.

Classless Americans. :naughty:

As an American I am pulling for The US Women.

However, I was turned off by their antics today.

If you thump a good team like Canada, Sweden, or Germany, or Japan, I get it.

A hapless Thailand team that was severely outclassed though, made it embarrassing.

The only pass I'll give them is it may have to do with goal differential, and any good team will thrash Thailand...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean, it's team USA. Everyone is going to search for a reason to hate them even more than they already do. That's just the way it is. In the end, who gives a ****. They can celebrate however they like.
I mean I watch the WWC primarily for Team USA so I wasn't looking for reasons to hate them. But I've never liked when players of any sport celebrate too strongly in a rout. Then again my water polo coach when I was 13 made me do 15 minutes of wall sits after I cheered too exuberantly for my own goals in a game where I scored 6 times and we won 15-0. So I guess the punishment did its job.

It's just not cool. I can understand for 6 of those 13 goals but after that point it's obvious you're on the right side of a massive mismatch and you're exploding with joy for nothing more than joining the goal parade. And at a certain point you have to realize those players on the other side of the pitch are probably having the worst night of their lives and are miserable and you're celebrating exploiting their failure for a record setting performance. I'm still rooting for my country's ladies of course and always love when this tournament rolls around so I can watch them, but seeing some of those celebrations made me uncomfortable after a certain point. Especially Rapinoe's. If you just watched the goal with no scoreboard or commentary you'd think she just scored a semi final golden goal.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I guess they should have toned down the celebration a touch though remember this is basically four years in the waiting in terms of when they are allowed to play World Cup games, yeah they are excited. Also they have had trouble opening these big tournaments lately. I mean they have several great players but this isn't Wamback or Hamm up top in terms of they have struggled for offense at times. They are working through stuff and I don't think they are going to pull off the guns in an event like this. Nor really should they, frankly as an opponent I always felt it way more unacceptable when the other team did ease off. I felt disrespected more so in that scenario, but to each their own. I see that both ways in an event like this, the World Cup or Olympics are just not call off your dog moments, they are short tournaments where you need to get better with each passing moment. Good start for the USA women.

If you want to watch a USA team not score and not celebrate, turn on the USMNT during the upcoming Gold Cup, the Women's team might have outscored today what the Men's team have left for the rest of the year the way they looked in the most recent friendlies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I have no problem if they score 20 goals. The celebrating seems pretty tacky when you are up that much.
This. Running up the score doesn't matter but there's such a thing as being a gracious winner...especially when the other team isn't even in the same stratosphere. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tuggy

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Its probably on the first page but I posted when they expanded the WC to 24-teams it made the group stage tedious as results like this can happen, what's worse it will probably be another blowout against Chile. This group specifically isn't competitive enough

However I don't mind USA playing through and scoring, didn't care when Spain did it too against Tahiti, welcome to tournament football, do something to stop it. But the celebrations were ridiculous at a certain point. And soccer/football is not like NFL/college football when where you are up you can sub the entire team and just run up the middle. You have to show some attacking intent because passing the ball around would make it worse imo

Reactions: Pouchkine

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Its probably on the first page but I posted when they expanded the WC to 24-teams it made the group stage tedious as results like this can happen, what's worse it will probably be another blowout against Chile. This group specifically isn't competitive enough

However I don't mind USA playing through and scoring, didn't care when Spain did it too against Tahiti, welcome to tournament football, do something to stop it. But the celebrations were ridiculous at a certain point. And soccer/football is not like NFL/college football when where you are up you can sub the entire team and just run up the middle. You have to show some attacking intent because passing the ball around would make it worse imo
I'm fine with 30-0 if you put your head down and go back to half after each goal. I'm perfectly fine with them making themselves a target for competent footballing nations.

Reactions: TB12 and Tuggy

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I have no problem if they score 20 goals. The celebrating seems pretty tacky when you are up that much.
To a point I agree. On the other hand, for the women each goal is a huge deal. Pugh should be celebrating her first ever World Cup goal. Morgan should be happy to tie the record for most scored in a game. Nothing wrong with Lloyd being happy she set the record for most consecutive WCs with a goal.

Anyway, when I was growing up, I played goalie in soccer. In 6th grade, I played on a team that was just horrendous. We lost 10-0 routinely. I didnt give a shit if the other team celebrated after every goal. You scored a goal, be happy. I would have cared a lot more if they stopped trying

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I played a lot of sports, same stuff. If you don't like it, stop it. If you can't stop it, be happy to be there and test your abilities. Thailand isn't crying over this, it's a bunch of people who didn't play in the game who are taking offense on their behalf.

Some of you guys, I don't think you really get it, the players knew they were going to lose by that much and enjoyed the moment. As for the players on the other side, they might not be there again and they've worked their whole life to get there. The Spain vs. Tahiti example doesn't really wash because for starters those Spanish players play a more important sport and make a lot more money.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
To a point I agree. On the other hand, for the women each goal is a huge deal. Pugh should be celebrating her first ever World Cup goal. Morgan should be happy to tie the record for most scored in a game. Nothing wrong with Lloyd being happy she set the record for most consecutive WCs with a goal.

Anyway, when I was growing up, I played goalie in soccer. In 6th grade, I played on a team that was just horrendous. We lost 10-0 routinely. I didnt give a **** if the other team celebrated after every goal. You scored a goal, be happy. I would have cared a lot more if they stopped trying
What's the justification for Rapinoe losing her shit on a 10-0 goal sprinting around the field and rolling around? Like I said I don't have a problem with teams playing out the full time and whatever the score is...that's the score. Hell be happy when you score. But is a 10th goal against Thailand in the first game actually that big of a goal for the USA? It's not something I am up in arms about but like I said it is just really tacky and kind of a bad look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad