World Cup: 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - III (USA wins 4th Womens World Cup)

Sep 19, 2008
8:00 AM PST start time is ridiculous.

For a final it's being shown at 11 am here. It could be shown at 3 PM like the rest of the games (USA - France / USA England were both at 3 pm EST)

Doesn't make sense why it's being held so early. I mean, even in France it's in the afternoon. Why not 8 PM French time?

Makes no sense smh. I have to reschedule my Sunday and cancel events just to sit at home and watch. If it was on at 3 PM I could attend events, go to the bar, and then watch the Gold Cup.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The whole thing is hilarious to me. They’re not MAGA so they’re hated by so many Americans. They’re too arrogant and American for Europeans and Canadians.

They’re in a nasty battle with the American FA over pay.

They’re coming off their keeper being forced out and then going on national tv and trashing the manager and players. Most of the media discussing if they’re still good enough or too old.

They’re in a country in the midst of a stupid nationalistic wave where the ruling party have signaled that for many of them, people like them are not welcome.

Their “attitude” is much more of a f*** you to Americans than anyone else. But yet here we are, where members of the HF board feel personally attacked.

Sep 19, 2008
The whole thing is hilarious to me. They’re not MAGA so they’re hated by so many Americans. They’re too arrogant and American for Europeans and Canadians.

They’re coming off their keeper being forced out and then going on national tv and trashing the manager and players. Most of the media discussing if they’re still good enough or too old.

They’re in a country in the midst of a stupid nationalistic wave where the ruling party have signaled that for many of them, people like them are not welcome.

Their “attitude” is much more of a **** you to Americans than anyone else. But yet here we are, where members of the HF board feel personally attacked.

Agreed, their attitude and arrogance is them lashing out at injustices, real or perceived. Morgan's comments in The Guardian really struck me, posted on the last page, where she says that there's a double standard and that people are fine with men celebrating but when a woman does it, stop the tracks and riot!

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Their “attitude” is much more of a **** you to Americans than anyone else. But yet here we are, where members of the HF board feel personally attacked.

Them against the world mentality which provides a bond for the team and motivation. Only on stupid message boards or comment sections on clickbait does anyone care.

Reactions: Roman Fell

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
That was absolutely pathetic goalkeeping by the Swedish keeper. The womens game has come a long way but the quality of goalkeeping....i'll stop there...

The hand ball was a tight one

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Ooof, brutal defending. About the worst possible thing you could do with that clearance.
That is something a first year player would do....to see that type of defending at a world cup ......inexcusable...Could have been bailed out by her keeper but alas...she is not much of a keeper.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That was absolutely pathetic goalkeeping by the Swedish keeper. The womens game has come a long way but the quality of goalkeeping....i'll stop there...

The hand ball was a tight one

According to new rules even accidental contact with the hand while scoring is enough cause to overrule the goal.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
For a final it's being shown at 11 am here. It could be shown at 3 PM like the rest of the games (USA - France / USA England were both at 3 pm EST)

Doesn't make sense why it's being held so early. I mean, even in France it's in the afternoon. Why not 8 PM French time?

Makes no sense smh. I have to reschedule my Sunday and cancel events just to sit at home and watch. If it was on at 3 PM I could attend events, go to the bar, and then watch the Gold Cup.
Probably because of the Copa and Gold Cup finals on the same day.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I’ve never seen a men’s team act so classless in a blowout like the USWNT did against Thailand. For that specific game the criticism was deserved. The England game was a different situation

That's kind of their point. If a men's team did it, you wouldn't find it so classless.

When Germany beat Brazil 7-1 in 2014, they celebrated every single goal and they were whining and complaining to the refs about Brazil's goal, despite being up 7-0. Every single point of discussion was about the machine-like dismantling of Brazil (because it was Brazil). But because the USWNT does it to Thailand (who's definitely not Brazil), it's about the celebrations and not the dismantling (Even though Thailand wasn't rated the worst team in the group).

When Chile beat Mexico 7-0 in Copa America, Chile celebrated every goal and no one said anything. The closest thing to a controversy was the annual one about Mexico fans’ goal kick slur -- which the Mexico fans turned on their own team in the final 20 minutes while getting blown out.

MLB's moving away from the old unwritten rules on home run celebrating/watching, with a "Let the kids play" slogan. (And Jose Bautista had the most over the top baseball HR celly ever, and IT. WAS. AWESOME). The rest of sports has switched from "Everyone being mad at Max Muncy for watching his home run" to "everyone jumped all over Madison Bumgarner FOR BEING MAD at Max Muncy." Baseball's viewpoint has changed to "if you don't want a guy to watch his homerun, don't let him hit it into the ocean."

Something the Thai women understand: They weren't offended by the celebrations or running up the score. "In football, everybody is following the rules, so our opponent is trying their best. The US team was very good. We don't have any excuse and we accept that they are better.”

The US Women are acting like all the men's athletes of the world, and all kinds of people are saying they're not supposed to. Men brag, ladies do not. That's the double-standard that's rooted in sexism.

This whole stupid debate is the last remnants of “women belong in the kitchen.” No one would actually SAY THAT now on TV, but the centuries of that mindset haven’t completely eroded so the subconscious thought of “Something is wrong with this” manifests itself by looking for any possible thing to be upset about.

It’s silly.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad