World Cup: 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - III (USA wins 4th Womens World Cup)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's OK, I'm sure the US women will celebrate by drinking tea with the France/USA ref :D

Sep 19, 2008
"You can celebrate however you want, but that for me is a bit distasteful," said English footballer Lianne Sanderson, working as a pundit on beIN Sports. "I'm a big believer in the Americans and how they celebrate but for me this was a little bit disrespectful."

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
At least Canada and the UK can whine together about something:

"What's not in doubt is that Morgan's toast certainly struck a nerve. And you can bet there were plenty of kettles being boiled in the UK with 11.7 million tuning in to the semifinal clash, according to the BBC -- the highest TV audience of 2019."

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008
It's OK, I'm sure the US women will celebrate by drinking tea with the France/USA ref :D

Also it should be noted that France's women has failed to advance from the quarterfinal stage in 5 straight tournaments, including the Olympics and Women's World Cups. :laugh:

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
"What's not in doubt is that Morgan's toast certainly struck a nerve. And you can bet there were plenty of kettles being boiled in the UK with 11.7 million tuning in to the semifinal clash, according to the BBC -- the highest TV audience of 2019."
I'm not sure who/where your quote is from; apparently on May 5th of this year show "Line of Duty" had 12.69 million viewers List of most watched television broadcasts in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

2019 actually has the lowest number for "most watched broadcast" going back to 1970.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It still looks like she's smoking a jay!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
It still looks like she's smoking a jay!
I just laugh so hard at these angered world denizens disliking these celebrations. You see it a lot in the NFL too. Too many people poo poo celebrations. It's sad. It's just a game.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Do you know how far it is from Le Havre to Paris? It's 200 km. You would maybe find three people willing to drive that for what Uber gives drivers.
For what it’s worth, that wasn’t actually the problem. Here it is:

I think these are valid complaints. It’s not that there wasn’t Uber, period. It’s that there was no transportation, Uber included.

Reactions: kingsboy11

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Back to the game, since I had to go, I think that article I posted before highlights a truth to come from this WC and something that's easy to see in the near future. I don't think the US Women's team has been better the last two games, most people think that both France and England were the better teams overall (England especially had some 'misfortune', slipping in the box on a wide open chance, missing a peno, two very preventable goals if they had not had an injury to their #1 keeper). The US is getting by on experience and mettle at the moment, but it's clear that whether they win this tournament or not Europe is ready to pass them by, and they are not long for the top. The USWNT will need to take this chance because it could very well be their last for a long time as the infrastructure in Europe becomes more established.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
I see just Americans being mentioned - is it just some Americans who had an issue with transportation? The other 53,000 who attended didn't have an issue?

With over 50,000 people attending, wouldn't there need to be more than a few hundred affected to claim others were "not prepared"?

And is "local buses" mentioned because people actually expected a local bus to take them 45 minutes (or more) away? A one way 45 minute trip doesn't seem "local" to me; local buses don't usually leave city limits (maybe it's different in France/Europe?)

Sep 19, 2008

848363.jpg

@Fixed to Ruin

Cmon Sweden/Holland, plz beat those arrogant yanks so the rest of the world can rejoice!!

Back to the game, since I had to go, I think that article I posted before highlights a truth to come from this WC and something that's easy to see in the near future. I don't think the US Women's team has been better the last two games, most people think that both France and England were the better teams overall (England especially had some 'misfortune', slipping in the box on a wide open chance, missing a peno, two very preventable goals if they had not had an injury to their #1 keeper). The US is getting by on experience and mettle at the moment, but it's clear that whether they win this tournament or not Europe is ready to pass them by, and they are not long for the top. The USWNT will need to take this chance because it could very well be their last for a long time as the infrastructure in Europe becomes more established.

IMG_20190703_103315.jpg

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I see just Americans being mentioned - is it just some Americans who had an issue with transportation? The other 53,000 who attended didn't have an issue?

With over 50,000 people attending, wouldn't there need to be more than a few hundred affected to claim others were "not prepared"?

And is "local buses" mentioned because people actually expected a local bus to take them 45 minutes (or more) away? A one way 45 minute trip doesn't seem "local" to me; local buses don't usually leave city limits (maybe it's different in France/Europe?)
My guess is that there were others involved, yes, but the American journalist is naturally going to hear primarily from Americans. But given that there were hundreds at a taxi stand hours after a game and seemingly no alternative transportation, it seems logical that the event wasn’t properly organized, local busses or not.

I mean, in this thread, people have disparaged the idea of a train (although it’s been done before), Uber, and local busses. We’re running out of options, particularly if the taxis weren’t particularly effective.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

You keep telling yourself that.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Is there any chance either of these teams beats the US? I would assume Sweden has a better chance based on how well they’ve played even if the Netherlands might be the better team

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is there any chance either of these teams beats the US? I would assume Sweden has a better chance based on how well they’ve played even if the Netherlands might be the better team
Yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->