World Cup: 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - III (USA wins 4th Womens World Cup)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That would apply to every nation except....the United States
I don’t think the US loves tourists either. The idea, to me, is that if you host a World Cup or other similar event (Euros, Olympics, hockey World Championship, etc), you should be prepared for tourists. Judging by everyone who’s commented, French and American, except for yourself, Le Havre wasn’t prepared for the number of fans that attended the match. You just somehow think that’s the fan’s fault

Reactions: Roman Fell

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Seems like they're just trying to take advantage of the World Cup interest. Let's see if it continues beyond 2019.

What's wrong with that? Prior to this the NWSL didn't have a TV deal and only streamed games through Yahoo Sports. and before that the TV deal was through Lifetime. Them getting on ESPN will hopefully help boost the league.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
What's wrong with that? Prior to this the NWSL didn't have a TV deal and only streamed games through Yahoo Sports. and before that the TV deal was through Lifetime. Them getting on ESPN will hopefully help boost the league.

There's nothing wrong with that. I just have my doubts it will continue beyond this year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think most countries have huge issues with tourists; mostly it's just American tourists that have a bad rep.

Sep 19, 2008
I'd take more umbrage at Chinese tourists too but that's neither here nor there or soccer related. :sarcasm:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The whole teacup celebration issue is so stupid. The outrage to it was dumb, but Morgan's response to the outrage is equally silly. There's no double standard against women in sports, fans bash male athletes that they feel are too arrogant too. And sure, we all totally believe that the teacup was a homage to Sophie Turner, give me a break.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wo...gan----teacup-critics-part-of-double-standard

Reactions: Stray Wasp

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The whole teacup celebration issue is so stupid. The outrage to it was dumb, but Morgan's response to the outrage is equally silly. There's no double standard against women in sports, fans bash male athletes that they feel are too arrogant too. And sure, we all totally believe that the teacup was a homage to Sophie Turner, give me a break.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wo...gan----teacup-critics-part-of-double-standard

They have this chip on the shoulders due to the inequality vs. the men’s team and continue to leverage any media attention towards it.

As for as the Turner thing, only Morgan knows

Reactions: Roman Fell

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

If the celebration was a reference to Sophie Turner it was actually really stupid since that's what Turner says ("that's the tea")/does when she *finishes* not when she's barely 1/3rd done.

Ugh, I liked the celebration when I thought it was a poke at England because players should show more personality and it's a harmless joke about a cultural norm (kinda like if an English player scored and then pretended to shoot up a school or something), but if you're gonna do that, you gotta own it.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
How many controversies have their been over celebrations at the World Cup on the men's side?

I’ve never seen a men’s team act so classless in a blowout like the USWNT did against Thailand. For that specific game the criticism was deserved. The England game was a different situation

Sep 19, 2008
I’ve never seen a men’s team act so classless in a blowout like the USWNT did against Thailand. For that specific game the criticism was deserved. The England game was a different situation

I heard somewhere on an interview that Morgan did that they're doing this because they're being disrespected and lashing out at the world, or something like this.

Alex Morgan Says Criticism Over Tea Sipping is Proof of Double Standard

USA soccer star Alex Morgan is upset that people are upset with her for daring to be brash after her team defeated England in the World Cup and she pretended to sip a cup of tea.

Morgan just said, "I feel that there is some sort of double standard for females in sports," adding, "to feel like we have to be humble in our successes and have to celebrate, but not too much or in a limited fashion. You see men celebrating all over the world in big tournaments, grabbing their sacks or whatever it is. And when I look at sipping a cup of tea, I am a little taken aback by the criticism."

Men grabbing their sacks :laugh:

Only Baker Mayfield does that :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008
Best line I heard was when Piers Morgan tweeted that the tea celebration was distasteful and offensive, someone replied "So was the Stamp Act."

Someone else also replied with a picture of the American flag with Morgan sipping tea as the stars :laugh:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
How many controversies have their been over celebrations at the World Cup on the men's side?

That raises a question in my mind - how many times in the men's World Cup has one player celebrated a goal with a celebration that mocked a stereotypical 'characteristic' of the opposition's country?

I'm assuming that's what Morgan was doing, rather than conflating a football game with the War of Independence, an event that led to tens of thousands of deaths, mass displacements of people and the usual war crimes. I'd consider the latter behaviour as every bit as crass and contemptible (to say nothing of disgustingly self-aggrandising) as those English fans who can't meet foreigners without rolling out one war or another that they only experienced from the safety of their imaginations. (And which I'm happy for North Americans on this site to condemn. Which they regularly do).

By the bye, if we turn to the mocking of national stereotypes in football generally there have been a couple of examples in recent years of South American players being widely condemned for making 'jokes' about the eyes of Asiatic people. (Which, while it manifestly goes far beyond mocking the idea that all British people are genteel tea-sippers, still falls within the category of bizarre behaviour towards other countries that I'd say sits uneasily with the celebration of diversity I presume the US women's team would declare themselves fully signed up to).

Another question is, should we limit the discussion to World Cups alone?

I ask because Nicolas Anelka's career in England was finished as a result of a goal celebration that was deemed racist.

Go way back, and Brian Clough once substituted a young Roy Keane for celebrating a Nottingham Forest goal against Newcastle by swearing at the away fans.

Adebayor's celebration after scoring for Manchester City against Arsenal provoked a storm.

And then you have Paul Gascoigne's contribution to Old Firm relations.

And going beyond football, the Carolina Hurricanes.

(If I scored in a World Cup semi-final, I'd go the full Marco Tardelli).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad