koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Groups were drawn today

44C300C8-ACD3-4CE0-B632-F8AAAC384EEC.jpeg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA has the players to compete for the title. We completely outplayed Mexico in qualifying on the way to an easy qualification tournament title with our “C” team, but it’ll depend on which players are on the roster for this tournament whether we can compete for the title. We aren’t good enough to compete with our backs ups or half of them. Two years ago, most of our best attackers weren’t on the team, so we went out in the QF’s against the first good team we faced. This crop is likely better, but it’ll be the same problem if we are missing 5-10 of our best players.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
--------------Lafont--------------
Amian-Zagadou-Upamecano-Nsoki
--Cuisance-Guendouzi-Caqueret--
Ikone--------------------------Aouar
---------------Mbappe--------------

Bench : Kamara, Todibo, Sarr, Edouard, Karamoh, etc...
Missing the cut by one year : O. Dembele, I. Diop, L. Tousart, Nkunku, St Maximin, Terrier, Augustin, Bernardoni, Boscagli, Blas, etc...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Missing the cut by one year : O. Dembele, I. Diop, L. Tousart, Nkunku, St Maximin, Terrier, Augustin, Bernardoni, Boscagli, Blas, etc...
Will Mbappe participare?

Lol this team would probably finish 1st-4th in quite a few leagues.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Mbappe isn’t eligible.

Edit: A lot of those players aren’t eligible.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes they are eligible and no most won't play.
The U20 WC is for 98 and after players.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just checked and my mistake, it's 99 and after. Which is weird since usually it's dates from the start of the qualifications.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So the team could be :

-------------Diouf--------------
Basila-Kamara-Sarr-Cozza
--Cuisance-Caqueret-Soumare--
Adli------------------------Diaby
-------------Gouiri--------------

Bench : Solet, Pintor, Ruiz, Maolida, Guitane, Alioui, etc...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ruiz and Guitane probably start for any of those teams. It's possible they start over Diaby or over Soumare if the coach decides to have a ACM behind Gouiri.
This is still an impressive team, even without the 98 born. Kamara is one of the best young defensemen in the game. Sarr has taken a hit since his glorious debuts. Still a very solid CB. Solet as a backup is a great option, OL product. Basila and Cozza are pro regulars who can play CB too.
Cuisance, Caqueret, Soumare, Ruiz, Guitane is insane midfield. Adli and Diaby are top notch wingers and Gouiri is a deadly scorer.
Still, they haven't played that well together yet. Pintor is a good option as striker backup but not a top level like Gouiri.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lafont, Zagadou, Nsoki and Guendouzi are all eligible.

France has the best talent. These competitions are usually about which team has most of their good players. It’s a lot like the WJC.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Did all their best players play there? Even with a B-squad they should have finished ahead of someone like Ecuador.

Kind of. They sure meant to call the best ones but lots of questionable selecitions (guys like Antony, Lucas Santos, Fabricio Oya lefted out for no reason). The truth is, CBF is a joke and the u20 team is used as a way to expose some players then sell them instead of really forming the best team avaliable. There's no meritocacy. Vinicius Jr, Paulinho and Alanzinho out didn't help either... but this team was a joke, they simply sucked, the offense was garbage... outside of Rodrygo, none of the attackers showed anything good.

On a side note, Brazil also didn't qualify last time and that team had some amazing talent like Paquetá, Neres, Arana, Lyanco, Richarlison so... I dunno, maybe the coaching is the real problem.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
IMG_20190503_182739.jpg

Argentina named their squad a few days ago. Shocked at some of the names not taken. The biggest Almada, Balerdi and Colidio. These players are the ones that brought them here.

Anyway still loaded wit talent. Really excited to see De La Vega, Almendra, Perez and Maroni.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
dN2sHiJ.png

Roster for the United States. More than decent side with some big name eligible players graduating to the senior team. Couple of surprises with no Araujo or Sands, but still a really good side.

Figure our best 11 will be

Llanez-Weah-De La Fuente

Mendez-Pomykal
Durkin

Gloster- McKenzie-Richards-Dest
Scott

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I haven't seen France's list yet. In the last selection, our defensemen included Todibo (Barca), Basila (Nantes), Dembele (Salzburg), Kamara (OM), Zagadou (BVB) and Saliba (St Etienne). It's entirely possible those 6 players are the top 6 CBs in the competition :amazed:
Cuisance (Gladbach) and Soumare (Lille) should start in midfield.
Sylla and Diaby should play wings.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Portugal brought the core of the team (Bar Domingos Quina whose injured and Joao Felix who was never with them ) that won back to back U17 and U19 Euros.

Jota is a superb winger and is Portugal's next great prospect...imho he can be better than Joao Felix. Trincao is another great one.

Dalot and Vinagre as fulllbacks, Diego Leite at CB whose already started for Porto, Florentino/Gedson in midfield who are both Benfica's best midfielders in my eyes..especially Florentino who is a fantastic holding mid in the making and attracting a lot of interest from Guardiola..Rafeal Leao up front along with Neto from Lazio...

Superb team.

Jota-Leao-Trincao/Neto is going to be unstoppable

They're in the group of death and Argentina have Barco/De La Vega that need to be contained, and South Korea has a great little playmaker in Kang in Lee, yet Portugal should be one of the clear favourites.

Reactions: Gecklund

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
I haven't seen France's list yet. In the last selection, our defensemen included Todibo (Barca), Basila (Nantes), Dembele (Salzburg), Kamara (OM), Zagadou (BVB) and Saliba (St Etienne). It's entirely possible those 6 players are the top 6 CBs in the competition :amazed:
Cuisance (Gladbach) and Soumare (Lille) should start in midfield.
Sylla and Diaby should play wings.
France is going through a renaissance of sorts after the period from 2008-2012/2014. Always challenging in competitions and producing top players...of course a lot of them wont grow into what they're projected to become (like the majority of other youth players elsewhere), but the sheer amount of them ensures France will constantly be a competitive threat in the future

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France is going through a renaissance of sorts after the period from 2008-2012/2014. Always challenging in competitions and producing top players...of course a lot of them wont grow into what they're projected to become (like the majority of other youth players elsewhere), but the sheer amount of them ensures France will constantly be a competitive threat in the future
I'm a tad worried by the disparity of quality depending on the position.
We have absolutely crazy depth AND high quality on defense and midfield, and some talented wingers. On pretty much every single generation.
But we don't have any uber prospect goalie, nor do we have more than 1 or 2 high profile strikers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Figure our best 11 will be

Llanez-Weah-De La Fuente

Mendez-Pomykal
Durkin

Gloster- McKenzie-Richards-Dest
Scott

I don't think Llanez is going to start. I think Weah's going to start on the left and Soto in the center. Llanez hasn't been playing regularly from week to week. Ramos puts a lot of emphasis on whose playing. I think Llanez barely made the team to begin with for that reason. Thats the same reason I think Ledezma doesn't start over Mendez. Ledezma has barely been playing recent months. It also wouldn't make sense to count on the two young wingers to be the two starting wingers.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Ochoa starts in goal. Scott has been dealing with an injury the second half of the season, and only played his first official match since December earlier this week. If he's fit enough, he'll probably start, but that could be a question. McKenzie's fitness is another question. I don't even know who'd start in that case. We don't have the depth to overcome an unfit McKenzie. I'd guess Keita starts, but it could be Real or moving Durkin to CB.

This team looks better than what we had two years ago. Two years ago our whole offense was wiped out before the roster was selected, and we had no chance to advance to the latter rounds of the tournament because we only had a defense and strikers. This team is missing a number of the best age-eligible players, but that always happens. We aren't missing as many players as two years ago.

Saddens me seeing Akinola's name under the US

Don't be too sad. He'll play for Canada eventually.

I don't think he belongs on this team to begin with and I think he'll have a very small role to play. He was selected because he took part in the qualifying tournament that we won. The coach gave preference to a number of players who shouldn't be on this roster because they were part of that team.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad