2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I don't think Llanez is going to start. I think Weah's going to start on the left and Soto in the center. Llanez hasn't been playing regularly from week to week. Ramos puts a lot of emphasis on whose playing. I think Llanez barely made the team to begin with for that reason. Thats the same reason I think Ledezma doesn't start over Mendez. Ledezma has barely been playing recent months. It also wouldn't make sense to count on the two young wingers to be the two starting wingers.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Ochoa starts in goal. Scott has been dealing with an injury the second half of the season, and only played his first official match since December earlier this week. If he's fit enough, he'll probably start, but that could be a question. McKenzie's fitness is another question. I don't even know who'd start in that case. We don't have the depth to overcome an unfit McKenzie. I'd guess Keita starts, but it could be Real or moving Durkin to CB.

This team looks better than what we had two years ago. Two years ago our whole offense was wiped out before the roster was selected, and we had no chance to advance to the latter rounds of the tournament because we only had a defense and strikers. This team is missing a number of the best age-eligible players, but that always happens. We aren't missing as many players as two years ago.

Don't be too sad. He'll play for Canada eventually.

I don't think he belongs on this team to begin with and I think he'll have a very small role to play. He was selected because he took part in the qualifying tournament that we won. The coach gave preference to a number of players who shouldn't be on this roster because they were part of that team.

I have a soft spot for Llanez with him being a former Galaxy product. But that's also a good thing about this roster is the versatility based on who's in form. I'm really excited to see what this team can do.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
French list is in :
In goal it will be Lafont (Meslier, Despres)
On defense Basila, Kamara, Cozza, Ndicka, Saliba, Sissoko, Zagadou (no Todibo, but still crazy good)
Midfield will see Cuisance, Diallo, Fofana, Loiodice and Soumare.
Up front Adli, Alioui, Diaby, Gouiri, Pintor and Sylla.

This is one heck of a team on paper. If they can play together, they could steamroll everyone.

-------Lafont---------
Basila-Kamara-Saliba-Zagadou (I'd play 4 Cbs on the beck given their quality)
--Cuisance--Soumare--
--------Adli-------
Sylla------------Diaby
---------Gouiri-------

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Forgot to say there are mutiple 2000 players on this team (5 total, including Adli and Gouiri), which is highly uncharacteristic for french youth teams. Even more impressive is Saliba who's a 2001.

On the other hand, Caqueret, Konate and Todibo weren't selected because they'll play U19 EC. Guendouzi will play U21 EC.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Evilo, I never understood the Zagadou at LB experiment. This idea that he has versatility to play LB makes no sense to me. He moves well for a 6'5 player and has good passing, but he's no fullback. CB only. He'll look like a turnstile against a small and quick winger.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah I agree. As I said, the CBs are soo good it's probably a good idea to play a flat 4.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Big news with the US roster two days before our first game. Julian Araujo has been added to the team replacing the injured Ayo Akinola. It's a bummer for Akinola, but the big story here is Araujo.

Araujo being left off the roster angered a lot of fans. He deserved to make it initially, and what angered a lot of fans the most is that there is a collective freakout from American fans every time a player with Mexican heritage is left off a youth team roster. Mexico is our biggest rival in football, and there has been a lot of attention on dual-nationals in the last few years. Araujo might be the best young American with Mexican heritage, so there was a lot of concern that he might switch to the Mexican program. He's already preliminary cap-tied to the USA and nothing with his status there will change at this tournament, but there was a thought process from some that he'd switch to Mexico after not making this roster.

Araujo likely won't play much, as he's the youngest player on the team at 17 and can play in the U20 WC in 2021, but he should be the main back up at RB and RCB. He's recently started getting games with LA Galaxy and is playing very well. He was supposed to sign with Barcelona, but wasn't eligible. Liverpool also made a run at signing him. I don't think he'll be in MLS for long.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Araujo has been very good this season for the Galaxy when he gets in. If it were up to me he'd be the starter for the rest of the season cause Feltscher can't cross a street much less cross a long ball into the box. I wasn't too bummed when he didn't make the original roster because he was dealing with an injury at the time. Once he got healthy I was sure he'd get called in.

Sep 19, 2008
Will probably be able to watch the games here at the lab on FOX over the internet. Wonder when it starts and when game times are. Go go USA.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ukraine doesn’t look to be anywhere near the level of the Americans so far here. Contemplating switching over the Uruguay-Norway game.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
And Ukraine gets the opener! Lol. They have been playing better than they did in the opening 10 mins for sure.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Ukraine doesn’t look to be anywhere near the level of the Americans so far here. Contemplating switching over the Uruguay-Norway game.

Started out that way until the 15th minute, now Ukraine looks better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad