Euro: 2019 Europa League Finals:

Who takes home the trophy?

• Total voters

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Pretty sure he was allowed to?

He is, but there have been a few reports that they're unsure about his safety because of the Armenia/Azerbaijan issue. I mean, he's been pretty vocal and visible of his support for his Armenian background, going to some of the disputed areas in some of his charity work.

I don't think it is Shaqiri and double eagle iffy, but Arsenal are talking about leaving him home.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I realize some of it is UK papers grumbling, related to some of the fact that many supporters have to travel (or can't, because they've cut many of the supporter tickets), but the idea that a club couldn't field one of their players because of where the final is being played is pretty crazy.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Honestly! If only it was as easy as just moving the game to Wembley or something along those lines
I know you're not advocating it, but I do think that the finals moving around isn't the worst thing in the world. Just, Azerbaijan is really hard to get to, along with many of their issues.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Chelsea's CBs may be "meh" but they're also clearly a notch above Arsenals. I'd also say the same about fullbacks although if Belerin was healthy that would be different.
Honestly Bellerin is nothing special either. I'd take most of Chelsea's roster over Arsenal's...though Arsenal's front line is clearly better minus Hazard.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I know you're not advocating it, but I do think that the finals moving around isn't the worst thing in the world. Just, Azerbaijan is really hard to get to, along with many of their issues.

Oh I agree. Having it move is great for the game and I love it going to less mainstream European Soccer HUBs but just in this specific case having an all England final match up @ Wembley would be great. As you say, there are just too many issues!

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Playing at a half-empty stadium in Baku is as if UEFA would want to sabotage its own tournament.
Agreed. Arsenal and Chelsea combined only get 12k tickets.

It hurts both teams equally, poor decisions are commmon in international sports, and watching a game on tv is not the end of the world. Hopefully (not referring to HF) everyone will stop whining, move on, and get over it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hopefully (not referring to HF) everyone will stop whining, move on, and get over it

I hope people give them crap for this situation. Without the political tension even considered, the decision was a bad one logistically and UEFA should hear it for making a bad choice.

Obviously leave it be come game time and just focus on the football, but outside of that make them more accountable in their decision making!

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yeah, but that goes both ways. Kanté and Hazard of course are the only Chelseaplayers i would really like at Arsenal. The rest pretty "meh".

Well, except that it doesn't go both ways. Chelsea's keeper is better. Chelsea's centre backs are better. Chelsea's fullbacks are better (yes, even better than Bellerin, who Azpilicueta is easily better than). Chelsea's midfielders are better - the one exception is that Ramsey would probably slot in ahead of Loftus-Cheek. Laca and Auba are better than Willian/Pedro/Giroud/Higuain, and so both would join our front three. Kepa, Luiz, Rudiger, Azpi, Emerson, Jorginho, Kante, and Hazard would all start for Arsenal.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Baku is also hosting 4 Euro 2020 games, they say the airport doesn’t have capacity for 15,000 visitors yet give them these big games. We all know why but still...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Joke organization. Arsenal lose their best wide player in a cup final. f*** off.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I think Arsenal should have refused to play the match.

Know UEFA would probably hammer them and they would lose a shot at a CL place next year but surely standing up for your player is worth it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They both should, but neither will. The money from getting in the CL for Arsenal is enough to where they would leave more than just one player behind to get a chance at it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah a boycott would be nice but it just won't happen. Baku should never be allowed to host an event like this again without change. Issue is they have 4ish games in Euro 2020 I believe which is going to be mess logistically

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad