2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
While Newhook is heating up, 15pts in his last 6. He's been over 2ppg in his last 17.
Been a while since I checked up on him with so many others to follow.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
While Newhook is heating up, 15pts in his last 6. He's been over 2ppg in his last 17.
Been a while since I checked up on him with so many others to follow.
As weird as it might sound, 53 points in 31 games is actually a bit disappointing for him. A lot of people were expecting crazy Tyson Jost in 15-16 numbers for his draft year. He's 1st in points for his whole league so it's a bit of an unfair judgment obviously.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As weird as it might sound, 53 points in 31 games is actually a bit disappointing for him. A lot of people were expecting crazy Tyson Jost in 15-16 numbers for his draft year. He's 1st in points for his whole league so it's a bit of an unfair judgment obviously.
I don't recall exactly who said that, but a poster said that the BCHL has gone down in scoring by quite a bit since 2015 and that Newhooks production was sitll really nice in comparison.

He is leading the league afterall.

Edit: It was @covfefe .

Last edited:

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I know that LD is now the positional focus for the franchise now, but I still think that adding to the center depth is crucial. Yes, I know that the last draft focused on the center position, but I still feel that it is a position of weakness. As much as I love Jesperi, I don't see his ceiling as an elite #1. I see his ceiling more as a Kopitar or Barkov style #1. That is perfectly fine, but after him, none of the centers chosen excite me much. This year's center crop is much more enticing, and this franchise STILL needs more talent at center, just to be able to compete against their own division. Never mind the conference or the Cup. Still a ways to go yet.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I know that LD is now the positional focus for the franchise now, but I still think that adding to the center depth is crucial. Yes, I know that the last draft focused on the center position, but I still feel that it is a position of weakness. As much as I love Jesperi, I don't see his ceiling as an elite #1. I see his ceiling more as a Kopitar or Barkov style #1. That is perfectly fine, but after him, none of the centers chosen excite me much. This year's center crop is much more enticing, and this franchise STILL needs more talent at center, just to be able to compete against their own division. Never mind the conference or the Cup. Still a ways to go yet.
Good luck getting a true franchise center with a late 1st round pick.

That being said I do agree with you. I'm all in on getting the best talent/asset available and getting a top center is never a bad idea.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Selke level ~1ppg centres aren't elite?

I wouldn't mind drafting a Cozens/Dach/Newhook/Turcotte but the bar you seem to be setting is pretty damn high.

Reactions: philipsson

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
While he's not torching the league as many thought he would, if he can get to 2PPG or close that's still pretty good considering he doesn't have the supporting cast Jost had with the Vees (3 of his teammates in the top 20 scoring including the top scorer who was a double overager). And as B1p pointed out, scoring is considerably down, with no one else even close to 2PPG.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lol, Kopitar and Barkov aren't elite ? What da f***.

Reactions: Andrei79

Jul 6, 2016
By the way this season is going, the Habs could draft between #14 and #20.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
By the way this season is going, the Habs could draft between #14 and #20.
with this deep of a draft, there would still be elite talent to choose from. Im hoping one of Turcotte, Newhook (specifically him), or Zegras manage to 'drop' to us.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Scoring is down in the BCHL since Jost played for Penticton. I watch a lot of games, both live and online, and the drop is scoring has been noticeable over the last two seasons.

Newhook is getting doubled basically every time he is on the ice and is still closing in on 2 PPG. No reasonable observer can take issue with that.

His WJAC performance was lacking, however. And that might raise some questions about how he will translate at BC next season. Doesn't change my opinion of him but may for others..

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Scoring is down in the BCHL since Jost played for Penticton. I watch a lot of games, both live and online, and the drop is scoring has been noticeable over the last two seasons.

Newhook is getting doubled basically every time he is on the ice and is still closing in on 2 PPG. No reasonable observer can take issue with that.

His WJAC performance was lacking, however. And that might raise some questions about how he will translate at BC next season. Doesn't change my opinion of him but may for others..
Yes, you were the poster that made the original comment, I remember now.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think we will get a better indication of what this team is made of after this fluff schedule is over.. playing Ottawa 3 times, a game against Carolina, one against Chicago, another one coming up against Arizona.. Outside of the Wild, this stretch of games has been a bunch of losers. That being said, last year, they dropped games against loser teams so I think we've already screwed ourselves out of a top five pick unless we win the lottery.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Whats the feel on where Soderstrom might end up ? Liked his game quite a bit earlier this year.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think if BPA is a C with top 6 potential, we take the C. If there is a BPA PMD with top pair potential we really like but think he is going to go a few spots ahead of our pick, then we can look at trading up.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think we will get a better indication of what this team is made of after this fluff schedule is over.. playing Ottawa 3 times, a game against Carolina, one against Chicago, another one coming up against Arizona.. Outside of the Wild, this stretch of games has been a bunch of losers. That being said, last year, they dropped games against loser teams so I think we've already screwed ourselves out of a top five pick unless we win the lottery.
Even the Wild are a bunch of losers, theyre not even a PO team. The only PO team they faced since the Bruins on the 24th is the Sharks. 8 games out of 9 against bottom feeders.

Theyre bound to fall back down to .500... But the metro is so bad that we'll most likely make the POs anyway. :\

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Whats the feel on where Soderstrom might end up ? Liked his game quite a bit earlier this year.
Early 20s ? I think he may be a late 20 kind of talent, in a usual draft... But with the lack of good Dmen he might go earlier.

He's good, but he's unimpressive from what I saw. Slightly lesser Brannstrom ?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Early 20s ? I think he may be a late 20 kind of talent, in a usual draft... But with the lack of good Dmen he might go earlier.

He's good, but he's unimpressive from what I saw. Slightly lesser Brannstrom ?

Hes not like Brannstrom at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad