2019 Entry Draft Thread (HF Draft Discord server, post #652)

Who are we finally drafting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised to see Timmins take a shot at Struble at some point in the 3rd or 4th round if he is still there. We know how much he loves his gym rats and Struble is the best athlete in the draft as well as one of the youngest players in the draft.

I don't know that Struble has the smarts that you would want but he destroyed the combine and is a left D to boot.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Thought you valued high hockey IQ and tools?

I do but I dont value players like Kaliyev who are f***ing invisible and shy away from doing the things you need to do to be successful.

He's a trap prospect because he just simply is invisible on the ice. He won't fight through hard checking, hell he won't even go into traffic.

He's really just the worst version of Pacioretty that could ever exist.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I do but I dont value players like Kaliyev who are ****ing invisible and shy away from doing the things you need to do to be successful.

He's a trap prospect because he just simply is invisible on the ice. He won't fight through hard checking, hell he won't even go into traffic.

He's really just the worst version of Pacioretty that could ever exist.

True but we do need a sniper and if our centers turn into who we think they can, we can tolerate 1 or 2 wingers who are soft but can break open a game with their shot. Problem when we had Patch is our centers could not carry the load of what is required for the position

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
True but we do need a sniper and if our centers turn into who we think they can, we can tolerate 1 or 2 wingers who are soft but can break open a game with their shot. Problem when we had Patch is our centers could not carry the load of what is required for the position

We need goal scorers but we need goal scorers who can actually show up. This isn't the guy. He's an absolute liability. He's a ghost. His effort level is garbage. He doesn't want to be hit. He doesn't want to go into traffic and battle.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We need goal scorers but we need goal scorers who can actually show up. This isn't the guy. He's an absolute liability. He's a ghost. His effort level is garbage. He doesn't want to be hit. He doesn't want to go into traffic and battle.

Kaliyev is not high on my list and I do agree with your strategy. But somehow, someway, we have to add goal scoring threats

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kaliyev is not high on my list and I do agree with your strategy. But somehow, someway, we have to add goal scoring threats

Trade up for Caufield or Boldy. Or select Teply in the second round, maybe Afanasayev.

You can find guys with great scoring tool kits and problem areas at other spots in the draft. Not at 15.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Team will change

True but Mete, Suzuki, Lehkonen, Drouin, Domi are likely on our roster by the time Caufield is NHL ready. My wildest guess at the future....

Drouin / Domi / Gallagher
Caufield / Kotkaniemi / Suzuki
Lehkonen / Poehling / Ylonen or Ikonen
Teasdale / Olofsson / Armia

Romanov / Brook
Mete / Juulsen
Harris / Fleury

Are we tough enough to go on deep playoff runs? :dunno:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
True but Mete, Suzuki, Lehkonen, Drouin, Domi are likely on our roster by the time Caufield is NHL ready. My wildest guess at the future....

Drouin / Domi / Gallagher
Caufield / Kotkaniemi / Suzuki
Lehkonen / Poehling / Ylonen or Ikonen
Teasdale / Olofsson / Armia

Romanov / Brook
Mete / Juulsen
Harris / Fleury

Are we tough enough to go on deep playoff runs? :dunno:

Ask the super tough Pittsburgh Penguins.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think Caulfield is gone, so it's a bit of moot point. I think the guys who could slide to 15 are Newhook, Podkolzin, Broberg, or maybe Cozens (if teams view him as more of a winger than a top 6 C).

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

Which is why Max, DD and Cole should've all been moved in 2012.

Scoring wingers are by far the easiest piece to add in building a contender. And often the last piece. You don't build through them, barring a few truly exceptional players.

Just in the past decade you have: Hossa, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Kessel, Horton, Nash, Neal, Ryan, Oshie, St. Louis, Lucic, Hoffman, Skinner, E. Kane, Eberle, Pacioretty, Stone, Parise (UFA), Cammalleri (UFA), JVR (UFA), Radulov (UFA), Panarin (UFA). All traded for with picks/prospects or UFA. And probably more that I forgot.

When we're one player away, someone will be on the market. They always are.

But we're not one player away. So focus on building the rest of the roster.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I have not read much negative on Brink , what is the knock on him to not be considered a top 10 prospect?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Caulfield is gone, so it's a bit of moot point. I think the guys who could slide to 15 are Newhook, Podkolzin, Broberg, or maybe Cozens (if teams view him as more of a winger than a top 6 C).

I think you are right about Caufield.

Guys that might slip to 15: Newhook, Podkolzin, Broberg. I doubt Cozens slips

Guys that are likely still on the board at 15th: Dorofeyev, Heinola, Lavoie and several others

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think you are right about Caufield.

Guys that might slip to 15: Newhook, Podkolzin, Broberg. I doubt Cozens slips

Guys that are likely still on the board at 15th: Dorofeyev, Heinola, Lavoie and several others
I agree, though there will be hundreds still on the board lol

Pod could slip due to the russian factor and his inconsistant year. Newhook due to his size and coming from the BCHL. Broberg if teams opt for the RDs.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I agree, though there will be hundreds still on the board lol

Pod could slip due to the russian factor and his inconsistant year. Newhook due to his size and coming from the BCHL. Broberg if teams opt for the RDs.
I hope the temptation of Broberg is removed before our pick i have zero desire to see him try and fail to skate through an entire nhl team multiple times per game.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Trade up for Caufield or Boldy. Or select Teply in the second round, maybe Afanasayev.

You can find guys with great scoring tool kits and problem areas at other spots in the draft. Not at 15.

Can you make me a complete Teply scout report ? I didn’t like how he played at the U-18 but I clearly saw some tools

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I would be surprised If Broberg was still there at 15. With the Blues winning the Cup with big defenseman, I think a team will take him before 15 like Vancouver

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
His mock had us picking Morgan Frost at 25 which was wrong...
yn9zK8u.png

"GM Peter Chiarelli has done a terrific job" :laugh: that sentence didn't age well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad