2019 Entry Draft Thread (HF Draft Discord server, post #652)

Who are we finally drafting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
If Grant is correct, (and the scary thing is that he does seem to have a link to Timmins.) then the Habs better be trading down if Thomson is in fact their primary target@ 15. I would very unhappy if Grant was right.

Reactions: Frank JT

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If Grant is correct, (and the scary thing is that he does seem to have a link to Timmins.) then the Habs better be trading down if Thomson is in fact their primary target@ 15. I would very unhappy if Grant was right.
Just preparing everybody so when they trade #15 for a LHD, then will then say when they pick Thomson at #46 it was their choice all along at #15 anyways. ;)

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
If they'd do something like 15+50 vs. 22+33 then I wouldn't mind taking Thomson at 33. Actually, I wouldn't mind such a trade at all. We could draft probably both Heinola and Thomson with those picks. But I'm still unsure about why we would need another RHD. I'd take Heinola and Kolyachonok or Robertson so that we'd resolve this whole LHD need that we have.

Reactions: Michoulicious

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If they'd do something like 15+50 vs. 22+33 then I wouldn't mind taking Thomson at 33. Actually, I wouldn't mind such a trade at all. We could draft probably both Heinola and Thomson with those picks. But I'm still unsure about why we would need another RHD. I'd take Heinola and Kolyachonok or Robertson so that we'd resolve this whole LHD need that we have.

Even 15+46 for 22+33 could be decent value. Could pick a Jakob Pelletier or a Samuel Poulin along the way.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I like Thomson but 15 is way too early for him. Offensively he's actually not that different from Broberg. Theyre both amazing skaters and like to hold onto the puck, Thomson i find is an even better puck handler between the 2.

The problem is Broberg is much more polished defensively and he has size on him (whilst being mobile). Thomson has some defensive holes, thats for sure, the question is can he improve in that regard? I havent seem him enough to make that assessment.. but if a GM has, and thinks he can then he could become a home run pick for them.

He has very high offensive upside, problem is he has uncertainties as well (which is why he'll be a late 1st pick unless a GM thinks theres defensive upside to his game/loves him).

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Another poster brought up Mete in replying to my post so I elaborated on that topic and I did not pretend that their respective offensive upside is not a factor - it is your interpretation of that because you likely did not read the entire exchange. I did mention York's higher offensive upside but the post you saw was in defense of my statement that Mete is a superior defender than York. And the bolded just confirms that you did not see my original long post where I compare York to other candidates, specifically Seider and Harley, and my conclusion that these two are superior prospects than York. Maybe HF needs to introduce a feature where we can easily follow all the sub-threads to avoid a confusion.

Fair enough, my bad.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think if there's any D in this draft who reminds me of Jake Gardiner, it's Thomas Harley. And that what scares me about him....just bad decisions which lead to turnovers. Cam York's decison-making, at least from my viewings, is possibly his greatest strength. Miles ahead of Gardiner in that respect.

The real question in this comparison is how would their respective "decision making" have looked if they switched teams with each other. York played on a team that would absolutely demolish the Steelheads. Playing with superior players results in not having to play under duress nearly as often on a team that lost more games than it won. Playing with teammates who possess high hockey IQ also makes it much easier to play mistake free as they understand how to support the puck carrier.

This is no way dismisses the possibility that York might have a higher hockey IQ than Harley but certainly provides a plausible explanation for your observations. Given that Harley unarguably has better physical tools and is almost 9 months younger than York it would be a mistake to not look a little more deeply into this comparison.

Reactions: Garnet76

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

??? Since when, he got it right last year (Well, picking the best center available for a team that's been lacking of center for 2 decades is pretty easy to know)…...but all the other years, he was wrong. Can't forget the tantrum he put up here with McLoed….

Reactions: Minato is God

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I hope the Habs just start drafting players they really want and need instead if taking players that they don’t want and don’t fit on the team ‘because they can mold them into the men they want them to be’.

Trade up or down or trade picks for other teams young prospects but there’s a lot better options then drafting someone you don’t want because ‘what else can you do’?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Thomson seems more like a homerun pick than a triple. Reminds me of the Subban pick.

That said, my viewings gave me the impression of an inconsistent player with important flaws. I've seen some excellent games from him though. His skating is excellent.

I can live with the team gambling on talent.

??? Since when, he got it right last year (Well, picking the best center available for a team that's been lacking of center for 2 decades is pretty easy to know)…...but all the other years, he was wrong. Can't forget the tantrum he put up here with McLoed….

Look at his 2017 mock. Its basically the Habs draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Thomson seems more like a homerun pick than a triple. Reminds me of the Subban pick.

That said, my viewings gave me the impression of an inconsistent player with important flaws. I've seen some excellent games from him though. His skating is excellent.

I can live with the team gambling on talent.

yeah at least he looks pretty dynamic. not like frickin' York

Reactions: Locks

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
But Thomson won’t be the BPA let along the best defender available at 15. It would be a ballsy pick and not one I would make.

BPA is a purely subjective opinion. If Timmins does take him at 15 it will likely be because he believes that Thomson is the BPA. There is no empirical, irrefutable list that provides a descending continuum from BPA to WPA from which to slot these picks for the purpose of ranking draft eligible players.

Minato is God

Apr 5, 2019
Look at his 2017 mock. Its basically the Habs draft.
His mock had us picking Morgan Frost at 25 which was wrong...
yn9zK8u.png

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I did some work for Grant when he first went on his own and he got me a job offer from McKeens years ago when I used to cover the Habs for HF, I can 100% vouch for him as he told me many things over the years in regards to the Habs draft and all but one came true and that was the Leblanc draft as said they were looking at Despres. Because of him I scouted McDonagh months before the draft while he was still in the USHS.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If Grant is saying Thomson at 15, it just wont happen, the kid is too flawed defensively and sometimes has you questionning his IQ, cant see Timmins going for this kid that early, would be a nice gamble early 2nd though...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Grant is saying Thomson at 15, it just wont happen, the kid is too flawed defensively and sometimes has you questionning his IQ, cant see Timmins going for this kid that early, would be a nice gamble early 2nd though...

Tell me more about his bad skating smh

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

lol he's not a gamble in the second round...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad